Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went into my hood (driver's side) fuses to clean the relay and fuses for the blower/AC compressor which kicked out. That fixed the blower but the 7 or 8 inch long thin ground wire that is screwed into the driver's side/edge of the hood is just hanging unattached. Where does the other end belong?

Seems it should go some where. Or does it hang unattached on purpose? I think it is a ground for the fuse /relay container since you can see the end attached to the body when the fuse/relay cover is in palce.

Thanks to the Cadillac Brain Trust (Ranger et al) in advance

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
Maybe earlier models had a hood ground - many other cars/makes do - for curing a constant low level radio interference as the hood hinges vibrate and create a hashy electrical noise. In that case the hood is grounded to a body point. Our 2 Taurii ('91, '92) had a toothed spring "finger" for a hood ground point - close the hood and the spring contacted a clean pad on the passenger side hinge base.

There should be no reason to ground the hood to the underhood fuse box - unless the cable was long enough to go to the box ground terminal.

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do get bad AM reception and good FM reception so it may be what Submariner says. The wire starts a few inches from the fuse box so I assumed it was related to the fuses but I will look for a place to connect it to the body.

Maybe earlier models had a hood ground - many other cars/makes do - for curing a constant low level radio interference as the hood hinges vibrate and create a hashy electrical noise. In that case the hood is grounded to a body point. Our 2 Taurii ('91, '92) had a toothed spring "finger" for a hood ground point - close the hood and the spring contacted a clean pad on the passenger side hinge base.

There should be no reason to ground the hood to the underhood fuse box - unless the cable was long enough to go to the box ground terminal.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,778 Posts
I just can't understand why the hood would need to be grounded. :hmm:

·
Administrator
68,392 Posts
On some of these models the hood lamp operates only when the parking lights are on. The hood lamp harness has both a hot and ground wire, so that's not the answer.

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Submariner. That was my oversight. The hood lamp works fine with the parking lights on. Saved me a bunch of worry.

On some of these models the hood lamp operates only when the parking lights are on. The hood lamp harness has both a hot and ground wire, so that's not the answer.
----------

Hi Ranger. I guess I am misleadng when I say hood. It is the left fender on which the hood sits when closed. The big black fusebox cover has a hole formed in it so that you can see the end of this mystery wire where it is screwed into the fender.

I just can't understand why the hood would need to be grounded. :hmm:

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have posted photos initially. Here is the end of the wire screwed into the fender adjacent to hood right next to hood fuse box cover. Then the view with the fuse cover removed where you can see the other end of wire in space...

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
This doesn't look like a factory connector - it looks like a crimped connection on the ring connector. I expect someone added this for some reason.

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This doesn't look like a factory connector - it looks like a crimped connection on the ring connector. I expect someone added this for some reason.
The yellow plastic cover is not a crimp at the body connex. I slid that up the wire to the bolt for the photo. It may have been added but for what possible reason when the wire is only 8 or 9 inches and does not reach outside the fuse relay box?reason?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
That is an addon by someone. No way that is factory. Either they had a relay in the box they added or remote start or alarm perhaps. Take it out it doesn't belong.

·
Administrator
68,392 Posts
Nope - not factory. GM or Cadillac would never use one of those cheap junk AutoZone crimp connectors - and the yellow sleeve DOES belong where you slid it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts