Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am looking for a 4.6l v8 northstar or a compatible motor for my 94 seville. This is because the head gasket went and my mechanic said it is better to just get a running motor to replace it with. Also i am looking in the new york, long island area. thanks

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only problem is that jakes wouldnt be able to fix it because i would have no way to get the car all the way to the shop from long island.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
Buy the kit and do it yourself.. With the motor already out it is pretty painless to do.
If you feel uncapable/just don't want to do it, most local engine shops will do it for a decent rate if you specify exactly what you want done, and the engine is already out of the car.
That's what I'd do, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
I think Jake said he is working with some shipper to have the cars shipped for a price, then you pick it up and drive it home.

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
My original HG blew at 121K. Neither the mechanic or I knew it was a common problem, so I had a used engine put it - that one lasted 23K before the same exact thing happened. That was when I found this site and learned it was a common problem with a straightforward, but lengthy repair process. This time, I had the luxury of an extra car to drive around while I repaired my Eldo. I used Norm's - Jake's system was not out then - I would use Jake's now.

Don't take a chance on a used motor - there is no need to - if the rest of the engine is good, and they typically are, then just repair the threads, install new head gaskets, and other gaskets and seals as needed, if there are oil leaks. that's it - you will be all set.

RM

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok maybe ill attempt it my self. so does anyone have the links for the head gasket repair manual or whatever handy? and what are the special tools needed to complete this job, and the difficulty and time needed. thanks for the responses.

oh and also the motor is still in the car so is it hard to get out?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
What you want is a FSM bu Helm Inc. Ebay is your friend. Don't even think of Haynes or Chiltons. Also check the Tech Tips section.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
basic mechanic hand tools is all you need, its not a hard job just very long and frustrating so take your time.

IMO Jakes stud kit is the best option thats what I used and was very pleased, get the head gasket kit from rockauto and use everything there, replace all 3 of the O2 sensors while the motor is out because the rear one is difficult with it in the car and they get damaged from coolant passing by them, seal the half case using RTV, replace the TCC solenoid as well, also inspect your motor mounts I didnt replace my mounts when I did my HG job and Im now kicking myself for it :rant2:.

Do your homework here and as Ranger said get a FSM it will quickly prove useful.

And BTW happy belated birthday Ranger, hope the past year found you well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts