Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody!

I need to replace old struts but original ACdelco 580116 are too expensive.
Are there substitutes for them? I would like to leave the electronic leveling system, but what are the most common options for replace?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Re: Seville 1997 struts w/

Struts in front, shocks in rear. Level system uses auxiliary bladders and a compressor system on the shocks only. On your RPO sticker under the spare tire cover - what are the suspension codes - FE1 or FE3 - F45 ?

If the suspension is active
- CVRSS - then basscatt has the part numbers and technique for replacing the active parts with less expensive passive Monroe parts. You also need to do an electrical trick to fool the suspension control modules. He has that, too.

Different trim levels require different parts - please update your profile to show which Seville you have - SLS or STS.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Seville 1997 struts w/

Thanks! I have Seville STS. Suspension is active. I know that active is replaced by passive, but is there any active options like remanufactured or custom?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No. Monroe used to make aftermarket active units, but they're discontinued.

You can get passive replacements that are compatible with the ELC system. Most here will recommend Monroe.

·
Registered
SLS 1997
98 Posts
The mechanic told me I needed to replace my (front) struts. Here in The Netherlands we have a yearly check which your car needs to pass (APK). They check all sorts of stuff. Suspension being one of them. Now I have the same problem as you: don't want to pay $1200 per side.

After looking through this forum I found the Arnott replacement. They keep the air leveling system operational and you don't have to disable the suspension control module.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid38.html

Could someone tell me the difference between these and the one Monroe sells?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The difference is the Arnotts are overpriced junk.

If you install passive shocks/struts, you need to install resistors to trick the computer into thinking they're active. You aren't disabling any modules.

The resistors cost pennies, Arnott charges hundreds for the convenience of the resistor being plug and play.

Wiring in your own resistors takes minutes. There are plenty of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanic told me I needed to replace my (front) struts. Here in The Netherlands we have a yearly check which your car needs to pass (APK). They check all sorts of stuff. Suspension being one of them. Now I have the same problem as you: don't want to pay $1200 per side.

After looking through this forum I found the Arnott replacement. They keep the air leveling system operational and you don't have to disable the suspension control module.

Arnott is cheaper. But I know a car where they are installed for about 6 years - and they work fine.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Arnott is cheaper. But I know a car where they are installed for about 6 years - and they work fine.
Oh so you're just looking at their passive replacement, not the "conversion kit". Either way, junk.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts

==============================
Could someone tell me the difference between these and the one Monroe sells?sure
-
the Monroe struts and shocks are HIGH QUALITY units -
that are a GREAT value -

arnott are WAY overpriced - LOW QUALITY - junk - passive struts/shocks -
with a ridiculously overpriced resistor that does EXACTLY the same thing -
that the RadioShack resistor does -

AVOID them -
==============================

1 - 11 of 11 Posts