Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently a 12 Disc CD Changer was an option for 92-97 Sevilles. I say this because I ordered a Weathertech mat that has a section missing on the right side because a CD changer was installed on some units in that location. It seems that some people who didn't have the option installed from the factory have a wire sticking out in the trunk that you just plug the cd changer into and you're good to go. I'd like to install this cd changer but I don't think I have the correct system installed, or I'd need to do it a different way than others have. I've lead to this conclusion because,

- My headunit (which does have a single disc cd changer) only had 1-5 for preset numbers, so I don't see how I'd be able to select from 12 discs.
- There is no wire sticking out in the trunk
- There are no holes in the trunk to mount a CD changer into

Here are two pictures of my trunks audio wiring, perhaps someone can lead me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The 12 disk changer was indeed an option available on ALL 96'-'97 Sevilles.
Actually some early '96 models may not be CD changer ready. Any way if you have the Radio/Tape BOSE/Base unit with the SOURCE button then you are ready for the CD changer.
The CD changer cable is already installed from the factory and branches out from that harness that goes to the antenna. It is about 2 feet longer than the antenna harness and the CD changer mounts on a short stand welded in the rear right side of the trunk (behind the taillight).
From what I see you have a OBDI car equipped with the old BOSE ('92-'95) system having the remote radio module by the power antenna.
Unfortunately that system is NOT compatible with the CD changer.
Believe it or not you can actually retrofit in your OBDI car a newer ('98-'00 Theftlocked unit with in dash CD) but will require MASIVE wiring. You do have most of the wires already but is still a huge task. You will also need to retrofit a new '96-'02 RIM (Eldorado) or '96-'97 Seville with all required connectors plus make your own CD changer harness. Also you will need a '98+ DIM Seville or '00+ Deville. Unfortunately you will never get the clock to work, obviously no chimes. You can get the steering wheel controls working (well first you need a new style steering wheel plus the associated steering column hardware) if you retrofit '02-'03 a Denso NAV unit (YES is possible), you will need a '98+ amplifier plus speakers and a 6 disk CD changer data line controlled. In any case no chimes, no driver's memory settings, no clock. Yes to steering wheel controls and all the other options. All these require MASIVE wiring and a super good electrical diagram of both your car and the donor car.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. You are right N*, a bit more research showed that the 12 disc wasn't an option for me. I just thought that perhaps it would be simple to install and would fill in the missing spot in the weathertech mat.

It does seem though that there was some elusive type of 10 disc changer for earlier (like 92-95) sevilles. I say elusive because I've found only a few references and no pictures for it. Any idea where I can find this or if I can wire it somewhat easier into the radio?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You are right N*, a bit more research showed that the 12 disc wasn't an option for me. I just thought that perhaps it would be simple to install and would fill in the missing spot in the weathertech mat.

It does seem though that there was some elusive type of 10 disc changer for earlier (like 92-95) sevilles. I say elusive because I've found only a few references and no pictures for it. Any idea where I can find this or if I can wire it somewhat easier into the radio?
I am not aware of this "elusive type of 10 disc changer", from what I know only the In-Dash CD was available in the BOSE cars up to '95. Between '96 and '97 the In-Dash was dropped but the 12-disk changer was introduced (for both BOSE and base cars). In '98 the In-Dash CD was reintroduced (BOSE cars only) and the 12 Disk CD changer was still available and compatible with the newer In-Dash CD unit. The 12 disk changer was available after 98 only in Eldorado (trunk mounted) and Seville received a new 6 Disk changer. Thus BOSE equipped Eldorado was the only Cadillac capable to hold simultaneously 13 disks. The Seville only had 7, although the HU were identical between the 2 cars (thus the CD changer should be interchangeable).
Deville followed the Eldorado way until '99 and switched to the '98+ Seville system after '00.
Back to your car, probably the best option you have is aftermarket CD changer with remote control. You can hardwire the audio wires to the car sound system (so you have volume control and such) instead of using a crappy FM modulator.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that up for my N*, you're always on the ball. It must have been an aftermarket setup that the two folks were using. I'm not interested in an aftermarket setup, I just figured If I could find one in decent shape at the junkyard and easily wire it in then it would be worth it. Would also fill in the ugly blank spot for the trunk mat. Oh well.

The in dash cd changer broke several years ago. I took it out and was trying to fix it at a friends house when his father cleaned out the basement and the unit got thrown out. So next time I'm at the yard I'll try and find a radio with the in-dash CD player and I'll take it apart and hopefully will pay less for just the cd component.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
eldorado
1 Posts
Hi guys...new to the site after purchasing a 1998 Eldorado. With just the Base Stereo Cassette option in it, what are my options for a CD changer to be put in? Used OEM? New unit? Thanks

·
Registered
2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)
290 Posts
The easiest option would be to find a used OEM NON BOSE unit with CD and get a dealer to program it to your cars vin. If you want to go aftermarket the stock unit will have to remain wired in the car and usually relocated in the trunk. If you are interested in aftermarket PM me and I can give you some info on what you are getting into and where a good starting place would be. Aftermarket will be cheaper if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab
372 Posts
N* I have a 1999 Eldorado with the standard stereo I have located a factory 6 disk changer out of a 1997 sls Will this work on my set up and are the factory wire harness located were they are needed to be? Going on a trip this weekend leave tomorrow I could install this tonight if the car is already set up for it. Thanks for your help. Jim

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
The 6 disk changers started in 98 on the (new) Seville then in '00 extended to the (new) Deville. The 12 disk changers were introduced in '96 on Seville/Eldorado/Deville. Now Eldorado and Deville kept the same 12 disk changer after '98, until '99 (Deville) and '02 Eldorado. All 3 models in '99 received the new BOSE in dash CD HU (the one introduced for '98 Seville).
Well that means the 12 and 6 Disk changers did worked on the new BOSE HU, and logically a 6 disk should be backwards compatible with the '96-'97 stereos (regardless BOSE or BASE). So I am 90% sure any or the two 6 and 12 disk changers would work with any '96 and up HU (base or BOSE). The ONLY exception is the Denso NAV unit witch requires a whole different 6 Disk changer.
Just plug it and see if it works, is just a matter of 2 minutes.
By the way, if you say is a 6 Disk Changer of a '97 SLS means is NOT original for the car (should have a 12 Disk for that year).
So this is pretty much a very long YES.

·
Registered
2000 seville sts
8 Posts
hi,my 2000 sts has a 6 disc changer inside...are they works with original bose HU only ?or compatible with aftermarket alpine,clarion,pioneer ....?

needs special cables,connector?or,just "no"?

thanks for any help~~~:)

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Most likely NOT!
The CD changer communicates on a special data line (E&D) with the HU witch is manufacturer specific. You can swap CD changers between some GM cars (Cadillac/Corvette/Pontiac) but that’s about it.

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
N*Caddy I purchased a 12 disk cd changer after locating an extra plug above my rear tire in my 96 eldo, only after removing the bubble wrap I found a 40 pin connector I assume was for a car phone option.
I have a base radio w/tape and no source button, do you thing this would work if I make the harness, any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Can you post a picture of your HU?
There was a strange base stereo for '96 only without the support for CD changer support.
In that case you need to update the HU to a '96-'97 base model (the one with the source button) and run 4 wires from the HU to the CD changer plus 2 wires for power. Not a difficult job though.

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
N*Caddy First of all thank you from all of us you have helped!!!

Do you think I can get my power from the "power antenna"?
I will start looking for the new radio.
I do not have permission to post pictures, but there is no sourse button.
I was able to load a picture to my profile though.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
NO!
The power antenna only has power as long as the stereo is on, not to mention that it is low current, unless you are talking about the actual antenna power wire (ANT fuse)...
FORGET about doing monkey jobs, do it right get power from the COMFORT fuse, is a 10A fuse located here:

It was designed to be connected there so no discussion! Also don't jut run a wire diagonally under the trunk mat, do it right, run it with the other wires, remove the black plastic you see in the picture and run it behind as it should, use electrical tape to bunch it with the others and solder the wire to the fuse socket.
The fuse has two pins, remove the fuse and see with pin has power, DO NOT connect the wire to that pin, connect it to the pin with no power (you want to protect your electrical system and CD changer one from the other).
-The power wire goes from the COMFORT fuse to pin 5 on the CD changer connector. Go to a wreck yard and cut the CD changer connector with some harness (any '96-'03 Cadillac). Pin 5 has a orange wire (that is the power).
-Pin 7 (black wire) goes to ground (the ground connection point is located under the rear seat, remove the seat and you will see it).
- Pin 10 (last one DK Green wire) goes to the HU connector pin E1. This is the E&C line (or the data line-CAUTION! not the same as the car data line).
- Pin 4 (bare conductor) is the shield for the audio wires. The following wires should be wrapped in aluminum foil connected to this wire all the way to the back of the HU. Use A/C aluminum foil tape (1 inch wide-you can probably find only 2 inch, cut it in half) to wrap (tight) the following wires. Then around the aluminum tape wrap the bare conductor. from the CD changer all the way to HU (about 4 yards). At the HU the bare shield wire is not connected, expose no more than 5 inch the wires at the HU end (out of the aluminum foil sleeve). Is important to snake the shield bare wire all around the aluminum foil up to the HU end. Bending the harness may brake the foil so your shield is compromised, the bare wire keeps the continuity. Wrap the harness (aluminum foil and bare shield wire) in black electrical tape all the way.
- CD changer pin 1 (Brown w/white stripe wire) goes to the E10 pin at the HU connector (inside the aluminum sleeve). This wire is the left audio signal.
- CD changer pin 3 (Black w/white stripe wire) goes to the E9 pin at the HU connector (inside the aluminum sleeve). This wire is the right audio signal.
- CD changer pin 2 (DK Green w/white stripe wire) goes to the E11 pin at the HU connector (inside the aluminum sleeve). This wire is the audio common.

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
N*Caddy
I have no screws at the top of my base radio, only on the sides there are three metal tabs that are holding the hu in place. Trim ring is removed around the hu, ash tray out
I have my new radio with the source botton, but 4 the life of me I can not find any information on how to get the original unit out.
Believe me I have searched, even found all the sites where the shifter kinob has to be removed, mine is on the collumn. There are no screws at the top or bottom.
I have the harness ready and just need a little more help!!!

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
The 96 Eldorado with the base radio just snaps into the dash! After you pull the dash ring that surounds the radio there are 4 tabs on the left and right side, pry the second tab from the bottom in towards the radio and pull the hu out!! My shifter is on the colmun, differant than all the other instruction I found where you need to remove the floor shifter.
I could not believe it was that easy, got a tidbit of info from Metra(Installer.com)

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Appears to be identical with Deville. I have never seen an Eldorado like that, still can't believe it is true (but then again column shifter...not that I have ever seen one of those either). So if is like Deville, the radio comes out in 1 minute or less, just release the tabs.
Are you sure the car is a '96? was it a '95 build as a '96 model? You better make sure is OBDII (well '96 is not trully a OBDII car to begin with, but still some of the modules are).

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
Well my radio is installed along with the harness. Powered it all up shows a display of a cd on the hu but now the CD Changer does not want to load cd's.
I have it disassembled on the bench and when I apply power, it only grabs a cd and drags it towards the lazer about 1/3rd of the way. Then puts it back in the tray, same one each time. Like you said in an earlier forum, "that's why it was up for sale". I looked at the ribbons, they are clean, would you have any other suggestions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts