Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced a situation where after riding through water--fairly deep--the brakes fading almost completely? I remember back in the days this was a proble, but not now...I went through some water by my house and when I went to hit the brakes there was almost nothing there. Is this a problem with the car or just the water?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
estatesatty said:
Anyone experienced a situation where after riding through water--fairly deep--the brakes fading almost completely? I remember back in the days this was a proble, but not now...I went through some water by my house and when I went to hit the brakes there was almost nothing there. Is this a problem with the car or just the water?

anything can happen in deep water Josh.

avoid that stuff brother.

·
Registered
523 Posts
HOW DEEP ARE WE TALKING ABOUT????

That happens in my truck specially when it is really deep and I pass flying, whats worse is that I had a problem where the brakes would be weak and the steering wheel would lock up, DODGE DESERVES A TROPHEEEEEE FOR THAT.
They fixed it before I had any big tree accidents luckily.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that generally driving in deep water is bad. I am talking about water that's like 5-6 inches deep and driving at slow speeds though. Answers like don't do it remind me of why American car co's suck. Remember GM tells us to buy the V, but don't drive it hard too. My point is that this is my first American car (and the most expensive car I have bought for myself). The car should be able to do everything my past non-american cars did and presumably better since it costs gobs more. However, this situation was an illustration of where it was worse. I drive this car no different than any other I have had, yet I never had a situation where the brakes just didn't work in the past cars. If you all tell me this is normal in the engineering of the V, then OK. I still argue the design should be better. If for nothing else, I feel this way because me Jettas and Civics never gave this problem.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Water on the brake rotor causes the "brake fade" feeling. Perhaps caused by the open wheel design on the V.

On your other cars did they have wheels that were fairly closed up where one couldn't see the brake rotor?

If you can't avoid deep water, try tapping your brakes a few times after driving through the puddles to clean the water off the rotors.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I've never notice a problem with my brakes after traveling through standing water.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
The water-caused-fade is the water coating the disk, then needing to be pressed off/out by the pad. Audi's had this problem pretty bad, but a quick tap usually clears them for the next stop.
To really combat this common occurance, you can spring for slotted rotors or have your stockers slotted. This allows the water to be pressed out quicker, thereby reducing the "fade" you feel.

What you're experiencing is considered "normal", just tap-tap the pedal and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
'05 Platinum V, Corsa & UUC
142 Posts
By the way the rotors and calipers on your V are Italian, so I am not sure why they make American car companies suck. You still can't expect them to work after being submerged.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I was told by a BMW owner that BMW has a new feature on some models that actually moves the brake pads in closer to the rotors to wipe water off during wet weather. The wiping action is triggered by the windshield wiper rain sensor. This, of course, would not help if you drive through deep water when it is not actually raining, but it clearly emphasizes the problem caused by water on the rotors, and the fact that the problem is not limited to CTS-Vs.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Drive thru the same water in a '72 dodge dart with 4 wheel drum brakes, then get back in the V. You will never be unhappy with the V brakes again.

Ok...unfair comparison but you have not experienced real brake fade till you driven through big water with drum brakes. (or for that matter just try to do a hard stop from 70 mph on a dry day in said Dodge dart. They don't make em like they used to....and thank goodness!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts