Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a Honda guy that has very little experience with domestics, and absolutely no experience with Cadillacs. Figured I'd post here and hope I can get some answers.

The vehicle is a 1994 Sedan Deville, pearl white with tan leather interior, automatic, 4.9L v8, fwd, etc. I've found several issues with it that I need help/advice with, as I would like to fix these things and possibly sell it to a family member. It's a really nice car, but not for me, I prefer my Hondas.

-Parking brake doesn't "click", if you press it down it just comes right back up, there does seem to be spring-pressure, just no "clicking" like you'd expect from a parking brake such as this one

-There is no hazard switch, just a little black circle in the steering column where it should be. Any way I could just buy the part(s) to reinstall on there so the hazards are usable?

-When leaving from a stop, the car acts a bit funny. Best way to explain it is it seems like it's running rough/shaky, like it's a transmission or maybe a motor issue or something. Previous owner bought 3 of the same weird looking duralast parts, says they're the new motor mounts but didn't tell me why he bought them. Could this be the explanation for this problem?

-On the 2hour trip back home after picking the car up, the Service Engine Soon light came on. After stopping at a gas station to pick up a soda, shut the car off while inside, it did not come back on. It hasn't come on since. All the codes are marked "history" in diagnostics, nothing current. All history codes listed below, I cleared them out by the way.

-Horn doesn't work. Does the center part of the steering wheel pop off easily so I can check to see if it's just the wire that came unplugged?

-When you turn the key forward to start the car, the car won't start. Previous owner wired/mounted a stealth starter button below the column. When you turn the key forward, it seems to do everything but send that signal to the starter. Is there a relay or something similar I should check before assuming the ignition switch is garbage?

-The remote key deal is broken and worn out, does Cadillac sell new ones? If so, how much am I looking to spend? If it's like most other cars, I'll probably be better off getting an after-market setup for the power locks and trunk.

-Gas door button on dash doesn't work unless key is turned on, is this normal? You'd think that button would work with the car off since you're supposed to have the car shut off when fueling.

-Mirror adjutment switch, when turned to driver mirror, won't do anything when pushed to the left...but it does when switched to the passenger side. This tells me it is a mirror issue rather than a switch issue, would this be accurate?

-(Resolved)What is that twilight sentinel slider control next to the dimmer/headlight knob?

Here's the list of diagnostic codes before I cleared them...

Code:
[CENTER]Code P030 History
Code P039 History
Code P052 History
Code I052 History
No ACP
Code R026 History
Code T072 History
PCM?[/CENTER]
Next time I get the Service Engine Soon light, I'll try to run the diagnostics right away to catch the code. I would do a snapshot but until the code happens, I won't know which type of snapshot to take. Will a snapshot serve useful to me, or is that really just something for the guys at the dealership? If the latter then I won't waste my time with it, as I do all my own work.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,623 Posts
What is that twilight sentinel slider control next to the dimmer/headlight knob?
Twilight sentinel is headlight auto on and auto off. A light sensor in the defroster grill senses light and turns them on at dusk and off at dawn. The slider activates the system and the farther you slide it, the longer the delay to turn them off at key off to light you way to the door when you get home. Something like 5 seconds to 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the explanation, I probably would have never guessed it. Nifty little option to have.

Anyone else have any replies on the other stuff? I just got this car plus another in trade, so I'd like to work out all the bugs and little repairs quickly, and just daily drive it for a while so I can throw my main ride on jackstands for some work. As-is, it's definitely daily drivable...just want to get it back in top shape.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
-Parking brake doesn't "click", if you press it down it just comes right back up, there does seem to be spring-pressure, just no "clicking" like you'd expect from a parking brake such as this one.
The parking brake is actuated by a vacuum bladder rather than mechanically. It's very common for the vacuum hose to become disconnected or crack from age. Start the engine and listen under the dash for a hissing noise.

-When leaving from a stop, the car acts a bit funny. Best way to explain it is it seems like it's running rough/shaky, like it's a transmission or maybe a motor issue or something. Previous owner bought 3 of the same weird looking duralast parts, says they're the new motor mounts but didn't tell me why he bought them. Could this be the explanation for this problem?
Motor/trans mount failure is common on this body. It will cause a shaky/jerky feel accelerating from a stop, as the torque from the engine causes it to shift under load.

-Parking brake doesn't "click", if you press it down it just comes right back up, there does seem to be spring-pressure, just no "clicking" like you'd expect from a parking brake such as this one.
The parking brake is actuated by a vacuum bladder rather than mechanically. It's very common for the vacuum hose to become disconnected or crack from age. Willing to be your A/C doesn't blow out the dash vents, too.

-On the 2hour trip back home after picking the car up, the Service Engine Soon light came on. After stopping at a gas station to pick up a soda, shut the car off while inside, it did not come back on. It hasn't come on since. All the codes are marked "history" in diagnostics, nothing current. All history codes listed below, I cleared them out by the way.
The SES light is triggered when a code is set. It can mean a lot of things, from a sensor reading out of spec, to a developing problem. If it happens again, check codes first.

The parking brake is actuated by a vacuum bladder rather than mechanically. It's very common for the vacuum hose to become disconnected or crack from age. Willing to be your A/C doesn't blow out the dash vents, too.

-Horn doesn't work. Does the center part of the steering wheel pop off easily so I can check to see if it's just the wire that came unplugged?
Not certain here, but I believe if you look around the back the wheel you'll find screws that attach the horn pad.

-When you turn the key forward to start the car, the car won't start. Previous owner wired/mounted a stealth starter button below the column. When you turn the key forward, it seems to do everything but send that signal to the starter. Is there a relay or something similar I should check before assuming the ignition switch is garbage?
Most likely he simply snipped the wire and inserted the remote switch. Remove the switch, splice the wire, and you should be back in business.

-Mirror adjutment switch, when turned to driver mirror, won't do anything when pushed to the left...but it does when switched to the passenger side. This tells me it is a mirror issue rather than a switch issue, would this be accurate?
Try some contact cleaner on the mirror selector switch first. They get gummed up from skin oils over time.

Code:
[CENTER]Code P030 History
Code P039 History
Code P052 History
Code I052 History
No ACP
Code R026 History
Code T072 History
PCM?[/CENTER]
You can get the definitions for these codes in the 4.X engine section. There is a sticky post at the top.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motor/trans mount failure is common on this body. It will cause a shaky/jerky feel accelerating from a stop, as the torque from the engine causes it to shift under load.
Would there happen to be three of the same mounts on this car? Because all the new Duralast mounts in the trunk have the same part number. Also, are they hard to replace?

What is supposed to happen when you press on the parking brake? I pressed it down halfway, and even all the way, and while there's definitely that back pressure on it, it just wouldn't stay down. I'll examine that hose to see if it became damaged or disconnected.

The SES light is triggered when a code is set. It can mean a lot of things, from a sensor reading out of spec, to a developing problem. If it happens again, check codes first.
I'm assuming if the light comes on the code will be stored in diagnostics, meaning I don't have to run diag the second the light comes on.

Not certain here, but I believe if you look around the back the wheel you'll find screws that attach the horn pad.
I will try to pick up a service manual for this car later today when I stop by Autozone. Should be something in there about the horn, I'd imagine.

Most likely he simply snipped the wire and inserted the remote switch. Remove the switch, splice the wire, and you should be back in business.
The car not starting is the reason why he decided to install that switch.

Try some contact cleaner on the mirror selector switch first. They get gummed up from skin oils over time.
Will give that a try.

You can get the definitions for these codes in the 4.X engine section. There is a sticky post at the top.
I printed out a nice walk-through that I found in the sticky topics, including the definitions of all the codes.

·
Super Moderator
86,623 Posts
I will try to pick up a service manual for this car later today when I stop by Autozone. Should be something in there about the horn, I'd imagine.
Forget Autozone. Those Chiltons and Haynes manuals are useless. You want a FSM by Helm Inc. Ebay is your friend.

What is supposed to happen when you press on the parking brake? I pressed it down halfway, and even all the way, and while there's definitely that back pressure on it, it just wouldn't stay down. I'll examine that hose to see if it became damaged or disconnected.
The vacuum is for release only. The pedal should stay down when you step on it. Inspect the mechanism closely. Something may just need a little lube. Maybe the vacuum diaphragm linkage is stuck in the release position.

·
Registered
1995 DeVille 4.9
44 Posts
You'll want to replace the Torque Strut on the top of the motor. The 'dogbone' as it is nicknamed. That cured my '95 from jerking from a standstill.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll inspect the parking brake vacuum system and the dogbone mount later today once it cools down a bit.

Fixed the horn. There's four #30 torx bolts that you access from the back of the wheel. Pulled the wheel center off and the spring/stick thing wasn't installed properly.

I'll check eBay now for that FSM. Usually I go with Chiltons, can't stand the Haynes manuals.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two new issues recently.

Yesterday the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and gave me a code P030 while cruising along at about 35mph. Didn't come on anymore after shutting the car off and turning it back on, also cleared the code.

Today the "Service Engine Soon" light come on and gave me a code P039 while cruising along at about 60mph. After shutting the car off and turning it back on, it was fine until I started back down the highway towards home, light came on again with the same code P039.

If I'm correct, these codes mean...

P030 = ISC RPM out of range

P039 = Torque Converter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

What would cause these codes, what are some things I should check, and what are some known solutions?

If it means anything, I have noticed the car idling around 650rpm, bounces up and down about 25rpm while sitting there. This seems a little low, I'm used to seeing an idle RPM of around 750 on any cars I've owned or worked on...mostly hondas, though.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still trying to figure out the parking brake issue. There's pressure when the pedal is pressed, but it doesn't stay down and I hear no "hissing" from under the dash when I press it.

The P030 code still eludes me, but I figured out what the P039 is. Apparently this code comes up with the tq converter slips while locking.

Also figured out today that the trunk has a lid pull down motor, but it doesn't work. The motor is seized up, I was going to try to rebuild it but it's way beyond repair. Time to get a new one.

Is there an online dealership parts catalog for these? I use those for my Honda and the prices are always a little cheaper than walking in to the local dealer, but I can't seem to find any for Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I think I figured out the parking brake issue. Up near the actuator there is a spring hanging down, and on the bottom end of the spring there is no hook, it broke off. It looks like this spring attaches to that lever that moves back and forth, the one connected to the rod for the actuator. Looks like I just need to replace that spring.

That first link isn't a parts catalog. All it looks to offer is a form you fill out to request a part. I'm trying to find an actual online dealer catalog like this one, but for Cadillac...http://acuraautomotiveparts.org/. As you can see, it's an actual catalog broken down in to sections, with blown-up diagrams and everything. Very handy when trying to figure out how something works, or figure out what goes where and what you actually need.

The second link is more like what I was looking for, but the diagrams are not accurate. I was looking for the parking brake assembly diagram and what I found for my year/make/model was a cable-driven system, not vacuum-driven. I'm trying to find that spring so I can order a new one from the local GM dealer, and I'd like to see how it is installed.

·
Super Moderator
86,623 Posts
Yeah, gmotors does not have a catalog. You request the part and they send you the part no. and a price quote. Not sure if you'll be able to buy the spring only. Might check with a local dealer. Can't be too expensive if it's available. Also might check with Luke at Lindsay Cadillac over there >>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the parking brake fixed.

While under the dash with those panels removed, I noticed some things that I'm not completely sure about.

First pic is a plug that comes from that main dash harness, no idea where it's supposed to plug in to. What does this go to?

Second pic shows an orange wire that runs up to the steering wheel area, but it isn't in with the harness already running that same direction, almost as if it were added later. What could it be?

Here's a pic I took of the cruise control unit area on top of the motor, showing a green plug. Where does this green plug go?

In the background of the last pic you can see the airbox assembly on the firewall, the cover is a bit smashed and missing some pieces. This doesn't seem to affect the heat or the a/c. How hard would it be to replace that whole box?

·
Super Moderator
86,623 Posts
Non connected plugs might be for accessories that where not ordered with the car. The orange wire might be for an aftermarket accessory. Got any? Or it might be for a VATS bypass.

Probably will have to remove the engine to replace that HVAC box. When it gets real bad you'll notice low air flow in the cabin. That's because the air is being blown out under the hood. Patch it up as best you can, but BE CAREFUl, the rest of it is VERY brittle.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no aftermarket accessories on or around the steering wheel(where that orange wire seems to run to). There's no mods or aftermarket parts anywhere on the car that I'm aware of, save for the push-button start someone installed because the key won't start the car. I know where all the wiring is for that button, though, so that's definitely not related to that orange wire.

Upon further inspection, that orange wire actuall insulates two small white wires that run in to that harness plug. It looks as if it may have routed with the harness normally, but someone cut it and un-routed it for some reason. The horn did not work when I got the car due to that rod/spring behind the wheel cover not being in the right place...I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the last owner screwing with the wiring? I don't yet have a Helms or Chiltons manual, so I have no idea what any of the wires go to.

·
Super Moderator
86,623 Posts
This sounds an awful lot like a VATS bypass. Do a google search for VATS or VATS BYPASS or such. They explain how to do it and you should be able to figure out if that was done.

Don't waste your money on a Chiltons or Haynes manual. They are WAY to generic. Get a FSM by Helm Inc. Ebay is your friend.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, the wire in the VATS bypass walk-through is that orange one that contains the two little white wires. That wire was cut and then the cut area was wrapped in electrical tape, so someone attempted this mod...whether they did it right or not is yet to be determined. I'll unwrap it and see if they stuck a resistor in there.

Here's my theory...

The car wouldn't start with the key so they did the VATS bypass. It still wouldn't start with key so they installed the push-button to start it. This tells me something outside of the VATS system was/is bad, ignition switch maybe? Autozone has those for around $50, but I'd like to be sure of this before I purchase since they don't like people returning electrical components.

Here's the switch...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Switch/1994-Cadillac-Deville/_/N-j0vplZ9n859?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=ignition+switch&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=202868_0_0_

Where would that be located on the car, and how hard is it to replace? If mine is bad, would that explain the car not starting with the key before and after the VATS bypass?

·
Super Moderator
86,623 Posts
That switch is mounted on the lower part of the steering column and is connected to the lock cylinder via a linkage rod and it can definitely cause a no start situation. They can be a bit of work to replace. You have to get to the switch by pulling the steering wheel and then fish the wires down to the switch. Last one I did I had to drop the column and let it hang to get access.

I'd be leary of Autozone though. Their parts are cheap for a reason and so it their quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts