Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS w/ F55
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my foot last weekend thanks to my little brother not knowing how to properly start a 1956 Buick Special 48. While I was looking under the hood he was supposed to start it, but didn't take it out of gear so it lunged forward and over my right foot, cracking my pinky toe bone mid foot. So I'm on crutches til the end of the month and decided to take pics of my car today since I am limited to what I can do. My car is Seven years old and I have owned her for the past four years from 29k miles to 82k today. Mods include factory nav swap, aux input, strut brace, and thanks to a donation from my dad, Flowmaster mufflers. Now that I know how to post pics, enjoy:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,130 Posts
STS2003, Observe the OEM exhaust pipe tips................:sneaky:

02Lackey, Now that you're laid up (bummer) get a 2" rubber pipe cap from Lowe's/Home Depot and do this:

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS w/ F55
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been debating the installation of an air intake. While cleaning my throttle plate I actually found that the round ice breaker mints containers fit perfect over that hole too. That plug does look better. Does removing that tube increase the temp or affect the PCM at all?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,100 Posts
A '56 Buick Special has the starter switch built into the carburetor. You turn on the ignition key and step down on the gas pedal. When the car starts, engine vacuum picks up a little steel ball to disable the starter switch until the next time it's needed.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS w/ F55
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dang I didn't know that. Yeah, my dad bought the Buick as his "retirement gift" and was showing it off to my brother and me. My little bro started it in first without the clutch all the way down and in first and then it jumped. I know it has a mechanical fuel pump and has to be primed when you start it, but I didn't know in that detail; now I can tell my dad and try to impress him with the knowledge (hopefully he doesn't already know that). The 322 nailhead is a nice engine too with it's flat heads and all. Thanks for the information.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,130 Posts
02, As discussed endlessly in here, an aftermarket air intake will accomplish nothing. The car already has a perfectly adequate cold air intake designed and built in. Change to a lower restriction WIX panel filter.

Removing the intake resonator does not affect airflow or intake temperature in any way. It makes the engine compartment a bit cleaner, makes air filter changes easier, and allows easier access to the transmission dipstick. Regardless of whose piece of pipe you have in there, temperatures will always run 6 - 15 degrees over ambient on the highway, and from 10 - 60 degrees over ambient in traffic. Why? Because in traffic there is literally no airflow in the intake system, and underhood temperatures skyrocket. Heat soak is a physical fact which you cannot avoid in a single-wall non-insulated pipe. In these cars intake temperature is really a non-issue because they run cool anyway, and even the throttlebody is bolted to a coolant crossover so the bore is heated to coolant temperature to prevent throttle blade icing in high humidity.

IF you do check the transmission fluid level, there will be NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. You must check and add fluid (only halfway up the hashmark) with the engine running, warmed up, in P.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts