Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had new tires put on about 1 month ago from discount tire. Today the Service Tire Monitor came on and for one of the tires it shows no pressure, just two dashes --. Yes the tire has proper inflation :). If the warning persist would it be a dealer visit or discount tire to correct it. I know discount tire did a TPMS valve kit.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual to do a relearn of the sensors, they probably did not do this. I had a similar situation happen when my CTS was taken in for a tire rotation. Doing the sensor relearn solved the problem.

However, if after the relearn it still doesn't function, I would go back to Discount Tire. Considering you spent the money on the valve kit, seems to me they should fix the problem.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 3.6 DI Premium Sedan Crystal Red
13 Posts
What he said..................
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual to do a relearn of the sensors, they probably did not do this. I had a similar situation happen when my CTS was taken in for a tire rotation. Doing the sensor relearn solved the problem.

However, if after the relearn it still doesn't function, I would go back to Discount Tire. Considering you spent the money on the valve kit, seems to me they should fix the problem.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,782 Posts
Must be done for any rotations and in this case, new tires. Process well explained and easy to do. After beginning, start with left front and go clockwise around car - to first remove some air till horn sounds, then proceed to the next and wait for final multiple horn beeps. See procedure in manual.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,280 Posts
You may have a bad (failed) TPSM; you can try the relearn, but if the error reoccurs, then the sensor may be bad (happened to my STS).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may have a bad (failed) TPSM; you can try the relearn, but if the error reoccurs, then the sensor may be bad (happened to my STS).
This is what I fear, since it was reading fine for about a month and just quit. I am so ready move on from Cadillac :(

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
The battery in the sensors will die eventually. If the relearn doesn't work, you may just have a dead sensor. The valve kit they put in does not include a new sensor, just the valve stem portion. If it turns out to be a dead battery, it's likely the others are near death as well. It might save you time and trouble by just replacing them all. I was told that they will only do a valve kit once and the next time new sensors would be required. Did you just replace the OE tires, or is this the 3rd set of tires for the car?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery in the sensors will die eventually. If the relearn doesn't work, you may just have a dead sensor. The valve kit they put in does not include a new sensor, just the valve stem portion. If it turns out to be a dead battery, it's likely the others are near death as well. It might save you time and trouble by just replacing them all. I was told that they will only do a valve kit once and the next time new sensors would be required. Did you just replace the OE tires, or is this the 3rd set of tires for the car?
I am on my 4th set of tires.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
This is what I fear, since it was reading fine for about a month and just quit. I am so ready move on from Cadillac :(
Do you really think anyone elses TPMS is any better? When big brother mandated the system, all the manufacturers were scrambling to comply and most source their sensors from the same place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you really think anyone elses TPMS is any better? When big brother mandated the system, all the manufacturers were scrambling to comply and most source their sensors from the same place.
It is not just the TPMS, I have been at the dealer 3 times over the past 4 weeks with different issues. Coming home last night from my 3rd trip to the dealer the flipping TPS warning light comes on, why the heck could it not do it earlier in the day when the car was already at the dealer :). This morning my check engine light is on again, did I mention I just brought it home from the dealer. Since I have hit 60k miles, it has just gone downhill. I will admit prior to 60k, it was great.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
Agreed, 60K seems very low to be on the 4th set. Are you using the summer only super soft compound tires? Being in Texas, maybe you can get away with that. Mine has about 55K and is only about 20% of the way through the second set. I expect to hit 80K before I need set number 3. I'm sorry to hear your have multiple issues, hopefully they can worked out properly and quickly. I've had lots of cars and the GM's have been the least trouble. They haven't been perfect, but better than all the other brands I've had combined.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 4 sets of tires is somewhat misleading. My OE summer tires only made it a year, the summer heat of Texas and me spending too much time in Sport mode did them in. That was all on me. The next 3 sets have been all season and I stayed out of sport mode. The 2nd set were replaced under a warranty issue. The 3rd set lasted much longer (50,000ish miles). The 4th set just went on, but I would consider it really the 3rd set and if I was not an idiot when I first got the car I may still be on my 2nd :).

I am not saying I would never buy another Cadillac (or GM), I just want a nice simple tech free car after this one. Sometimes I swear SkyNet has become self aware and is living in my CTS.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went through the relearn process for the tire sensors and it is good so far. The tire in question took a little longer before the horn chirped, but it did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts