Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 DTS and have suddenly been given the message to "service theft deterrent system." I reprogrammed the key-fob in question and it is now working properly. The problem comes with the spare keys we had made for the vehicle. The original key that has the Cadillac emblem on it will always start the car but neither of the spare keys will start the car. As soon as I, be it either remote start or manual start, insert the spare key into the ignition, the message shows up on the DIC and the car shuts off. When I purchased the car the dealer said the keys for this year DTS DO NOT have any chip in them to make them proprietary to this vehicle, but considering the only key that works is the original, I can't help but think he didn't know what he was talking about.

What can I do about this? Do I need to take it to the dealer and get authentic Cadillac keys or is there something else I'm missing?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
The (new) key(s) should have a transponder in the black plastic head. The procedure for programming the car to recognize new keys is in the owner's manual. I believe that you can have up to 10 keys - but a very limited number of fobs. The fobs are dealer programmed; keys are not.

You unlock the car with your fob - the car thinks "Here he comes !" You get in, stick your key in the ignition lock cylinder and the car thinks "He's here !" and sets the features to your preferences. Owner's manual - Personalization.

·
Registered
746 Posts
They may not have programed the new keys? Try this first.

The procedure for programming the car to recognize new keys.
Start the car with the good key (must be black not gray) turn car off.
Start car with new key with 10 sec, turn car off, new key is programed.

Programming the remotes is done through the dash

·
Registered
2006 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, y'all. I think both spares were just bought at a hardware store and don't have the transponder in it like the original which makes me think I have to go back to the dealership for the right type of spare and pay their prices to get it cut and programmed? I mean it's not that serious right?

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks submariner. This is the first car I've owned that's had special keys so it's new territory for me. I really did not want to have to deal with the dealership for something like this. Thanks for the homework

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts
They do not replace the keys. They insert a curved plastic filler in the original keys. The filler has one central hole for a key ring - the old elongated hole allowed a ring full of junk to pull down on the key head in the proper direction to turn off the key if jolted or excessively vibrated.

Read the entire link in Post #7, not just the top line. The OP's car falls into the "insert refill" class.

EDIT: danog has informed me that, in many cases, a dealership will replace the key itself, depending on year group. YRMV - Take a look at the keys: If it has a solid head, single hole, it's new. Old style head with a curved insert, it's a recalled key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts