Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get the 2nd FOB Programmed either!
Screwed around with it all day. I finally got the original FOB working again but with the "Service Theft Deterrent System"
The car seems to work, starts, runs, remote start, lock/unlock, Trunk.

Any Reset Available?

FYI - When I purchased, I insisted dealer provide second key and FOB. They agreed, but they are a two hour drive, and I haven't gone to get it.
Bought a $50 unit on eBay for a third - which may end up costing $150...Sucks!
Both: HYQ2AB The original is Denso #13510254 new extra is 13598507
GM Parts says its a suitable number though. But maybe not!

Help is appreciated!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drove the car today. Insert FOB #? was on the DIC.
Its still asking for a FOB. I pushed the start button for 15 Sec to exit the program mode.
The car runs and drives ok but still theft deterrent service message and light and you have to dismiss the Theft Deterrent warning.
It also asked me for FOB each time I was out of the car for 15 min. or so, wouldn't start, press the start button for 15 Sec. starts and runs OK.
I've read the owner manual instructions and every Thread about FOBS on this forum and others.

If I have to take it to the dealer ok, It just seems something has not completed.
Does it have to have two FOBS? Has anyone else programmed only one FOB?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was reading about that topic in the owner's manual yesterday as I wait for my car to be delivered. I am no expert at programming the FOB, but the programming procedure did require having a first, good, operating FOB, and a second, new one that you will program based on the first one. You have to put the first one in the pocket so all data can be uploaded into memory, then you remove the first FOB from the pocket, and insert the second one, and download the stored data into the second one. If that is generally what you did, then I think you were on the right track.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Owners manual from my.cadillac.com page 31-33 says:

Programming with Recognized Transmitters
A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters. To program, the vehicle must be off and all transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be with you.

I only had one transmitter so I used the next procedure:

Programming without Recognized Transmitters
If two currently recognized transmitters are not available, follow this procedure to program up to eight transmitters. This feature is not available in Canada. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The vehicle must be off and all transmitters to be programmed must be with you.

1. Remove the key lock cylinder cap. See Door Locks 0 36. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder on the driver door handle; then turn the key counterclockwise, to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.
The DIC displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.

2. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN, then press ENGINE START/STOP. The DIC will again display REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.

3. Repeat Step 2 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps. The DIC should now display READY FOR REMOTE # 1.

4. Place the new transmitter in the transmitter pocket in the center console storage area.

5. Press ENGINE START/STOP. When the transmitter is learned, the DIC will display that it is ready to program the next transmitter.

6. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press K or Q on the transmitter. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4–6.
When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.

7. Return the key back into the transmitter.

Everything seemed to go as per instructions until I get to the FOB#2. I press the start/stop for twelve seconds to terminate programming, the car starts and runs but the messages continue to appear.
Also the DIC goes black for the 10 mins between steps. I used my phone as timer set to 9 mins. gives me time to get back to car.
The DIC will display next step at ten mins. and does display for a short time when the door is opened.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
All 2017 and newer Cadillacs REQUIRE 2 known good FOBs to programmed a 3rd. Programming a FOB using the second method you listed also requires you to learn at least 2 FOBs during that programming event. The owner's manual information is incorrect.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concluded as much without confirmation from any source until now. Thank You
Obviously, my $50 FOB is bad. I'll just wait to get my new FOB

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to dealer today and got my new 2nd FOB, Just put it in console slot, it programmed and all theft warnings went away.
Wasn't at the dealer 30 Mins.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This 2nd FOB was part of the purchase agreement. They took my key and car, returned with two keys and FOBs, I said thank you. No paperwork or even a signature! Go figure.

Estimated FOB cost w/key: $100 - 150 (124.59 at amazon without key).
Cut the key: ?? The security key (slotted) is milled on a special CNC key maker.
Program: My local Cadillac dealer quoted $95 for programming which you can do yourself.

My problem was the used FOB I paid $50 for was either no good or wrong device for may car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts