Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so anyway here's the deal, I cannot stand these abs,traction control lights displayed on my dash!!! I have pulled codes before and gotten bad wheel hubs and or wheel speed sensor codes!! I have replaced all four Hubs now and all are brand spanking new!!! Now I started the car for the first time and the lights are still on and it said service steering system and then eventually threw the abs tcs lights on for good now and when I pull codes it says no tcs data!! Now I can go thru the process off pulling the abs master fuse or unhooking the battery to get the codes to eventually show but that's a process. Anybody have any suggestions on the next step I should take cuz I'm about done with it all

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Hello so anyway here's the deal, I cannot stand these abs,traction control lights displayed on my dash!!! I have pulled codes before and gotten bad wheel hubs and or wheel speed sensor codes!! I have replaced all four Hubs now and all are brand spanking new!!! Now I started the car for the first time and the lights are still on and it said service steering system and then eventually threw the abs tcs lights on for good now and when I pull codes it says no tcs data!! Now I can go thru the process off pulling the abs master fuse or unhooking the battery to get the codes to eventually show but that's a process. Anybody have any suggestions on the next step I should take cuz I'm about done with it all
======================
Now I started the car for the first time
and the lights are still on and it said service steering system

might it have said SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM?

if yes - it's probably caused by a failed/failing steering wheel position sensor -
it is located at the base of the steering column -
a PITA job to replace -

====================

I'm about done with it all
hey - the car is now 18 years old - ???K miles -
nothing lasts forever -

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay yeah no I understand that I do, I love the car I have put my blood sweat and tears in it ya know!! Okay maybe that would be my next step but I have one more question for ya my power steering pump has been changed along with the return line, but evwrytime I take the full cap off it releases pressure, everytime!! Now could that cause the service stability system or whatever message to display!???? I
Going to change the pressure line first before I go further but this has happened since I put it in a shop for water pump and im thinking they messed something up and hoping that it could possibly cause the doc display

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Okay yeah no I understand that I do, I love the car I have put my blood sweat and tears in it ya know!! Okay maybe that would be my next step but I have one more question for ya my power steering pump has been changed along with the return line, but evwrytime I take the full cap off it releases pressure, everytime!! Now could that cause the service stability system or whatever message to display!???? I
Going to change the pressure line first before I go further but this has happened since I put it in a shop for water pump and im thinking they messed something up and hoping that it could possibly cause the doc display
You are correct that there is in fact a "service steering system" message. It is not as common as the service stability message but I fix these cars every day so I've seen it all. That message is when the problem is specific to the magnasteer system, whose controls are housed in the ABS/Traction module but technically a separate system. But before dealing with any of that I would deal with the no TCS data. If the ABS/Trac module doesn't communicate with the IPC (instrument cluster) you will get the ABS and Trac Lights lit permanently. I would first verify power and ground at the ABS/Trac module and its that its primary connector is properly connected. The ABS/Trac module is right underneath the water pump. Potentially could be waterlogged connector. They shouldn't have needed to actually mess with the connector to change the water pump. But I've stopped being surprised by what some other shops do.

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much if I actually pull the master fuse I get a c1241 variable speed circuit malfunction cuz the codes do display it just says service steering system u til it eventually cuts it out completely so im stuck any suggestions could there maybe he air trapped in that box under water pump

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Have replaced the power steering pump, the lines, the rack and pinion assembly, all on my 4.6 deville base model. I still am getting a service steering system message everytime I start the car with a code of tcs c1241. Also I have replaced the abs module connector that goes into the abs module wich had broken wires and was main cause of some of my more troubling problems. Any ideas of how to get rid of message at startup? Car runs good

Hey there sorry for such a delay just wanted to let everyone know that I found the culprit of the majority of the problem. Broken wires at the abs module connector where it goes into ebtcm, ordered a new harness very hard to find, fixed it right up all codes gone except a c1241 at startup but as for while driving no codes at all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts