Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up everyone.. I have a bagged 03 Cadillac CTS.. Before i put bags on it, the traction control and everything was working perfectly.. Then, after the air bag suspension was placed on the car, i keep getting the "service stability system" error when I start the car... Now I think this has something to do with the traction control.. partly because the traction control button in the glove compartment no longer works, i programmed traction control to my steering wheel controls and that didn't disable or enable it either... Also, I have been having acceleration problems, when i floor it, the rpms just race... before the air bags, when i floored it, the car would accelerate perfectly and jolt foward and everything..

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated... if anyone knows how to completely disable traction control without pressing the button, can you let me know here... that would probably get rid of the service stability system error and my acceleration problem... so yea, any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Umm, my guess is stabilitrak and all it's related system's sensors are all f'cked up from the airbags, it's getting improper readings from everything, so it's telling you to get it serviced. They could clear the codes, but they'll just come back, unless the dealer can clear your "bags" for normal, like resetting a scale. But my guess is everytime you lower say one side of the car more than the other, or something similar, the sensors that are designed to keep the car on the road are going... wtf, how is this possible, and reporting back as an error.

You're the first CTS to install airbag suspensions that I know of. I have no idea how you'd fix it, except fool the sensors back to normal, or remove them all together (which eliminates the usefulness of stabilitrak) but then again, so does an airbag suspension i'd feel.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Dont know what to tell you on that one... I dont think you can get a warranty repair on that...

But seriously, The stability system takes many things into consideration. The steering position, the yaw rates and speed... My guess is the computer got so many f'ed up yaw rate readings cause the car was on its side that is set a code... I agree that they could clear the codes, but it would just come back..

I dont think a dealer can disable the stabilitrak system in the tech II, but I guess it couldnt hurt for you to ask..

Tell me your not plannin on entering that thing in a jumping contest right? If you do, I want video!

Reed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
asakas.. there is another cts on air suspension but I can't get a hold of the guy.. and there is a cts-v on air suspension, but they say it is only for show and they don't drive it... so yea, no help from these guys...

ctsvett... i did ask the dealer to completely remove stabilitrak, they said it was unsafe and illegal and would not do it..

the accleration problems arent serious, it's not as if im going to be going 80mph with air bag suspension anyway... i would just like to stop the error from coming up... so, if anyone knows how to turn of stabilitrak off completely, please let me know, it's not like i'm using it with the air bag suspension...

thanks!

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
The dealer SHOULD be able to take stabilitrack and/or traction control out of the loop with the tech 2. That is one way they can diagnose problems by turning systems off.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
The dealer is not permitted by law to disable any safety devices on the car. Dealers don't need that kind on liability problems, something happens and the dealer will be the one who has to answer for it.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Z71 said:
The dealer is not permitted by law to disable any safety devices on the car. Dealers don't need that kind on liability problems, something happens and the dealer will be the one who has to answer for it.
Yes for government mandated safety devices, i.e safety belts, air bags, etc, not for optional or non government mandated devices.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I thought airbags were for show only?!?!? Don't the airbags replace the springs? I can't believe that thing handles at all in corners. I'd be petrified to go over 30 mph! So much for the Nurburgring developed suspension. Airbags on a '65 Impala are one thing, but on a totally computer controlled car, it's not as simple.

As far as your system errors go. I'd check your ABS sensors and wiring at the wheels. Stabillitrac senses yaw from several accelerometers inside the car. It controls a spinout by pulsing the brakes and shutting down the throttles on the engine. Traction control also uses the ABS sensors to sense rear wheel spin and pulse the rear brakes to stop them from spinning. If the sensors are disconnected, you'll get these errors.

I take it you didn't do the install yourself.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
congrats, you just shagged up the car

what kind of rim is that anyway, looks nice-ish

i would go with ody, i think that whoever did the install either disconnected or cut a few sensors.

start there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Although I would never do that to my car...I think its fire! :thumbsup:

Down here in Texas you see cars and trucks slammed all the time...it looks killer, I hope you are able to resolve all the bugs.

good luck!

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
well you might be able to get some help if you stress to them that its a show car only and therefore their concerns for safety, while greatly appreciated, are not warranted.

the other side of the coin is, its not just YOUR safety they are concerned with, its the safety of the mom and kids you ram into when you suspension fails.

bag systems have a lot of issue, is it a custom setup or an off the shelf kit? what company did it come from?
is it pure bag or a hybrid system?

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Could you possibly post the following:
Pictures of the air bag suspension system while on a lift and the name of the respective manufacturer.
Show us where the compressor hardware is installed.
And finally, a close up of those "port holes" that are installed in the front fenders?

I have to agree that for "show purposes".....killer look. But for suspension geometry; so much for what was a German tuned sport suspension. But I'm confident that you made this modification purely for "show car purposes" and would think that the dealer/installer should stand behind it with regard to it's coordination with and DIC error codes that you might be experiencing as this in no way is the responsibility of Cadillac, GM or there warranty.

But that "slammed look" is gorgeous for show car looks and I would like to see more as I'm sure others would. Not everyone buys a CTS or a CTSV for performance. Many of us own them simply for the reason that we want to "dress them" for show appearance and if that is your intent.......HOME RUN!

best regards - Cadillac MotorSports, Limited

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
My vote is that at least one wheel sensor has been disconnected.

My understanding of yaw sensors is that they are, fundamentally, accelerometers, and sense changes in direction and direction of acceleration. Static ride height changes would not make a difference.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the suspension issue...BUT, I noticed you have Cali tags...are you in SOuthern Cali...that is one sweeeeeeet looking CTS....You gotta come out ot one of our meets so I could see that in person...Damn that ride is hot!!!!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
pietroraimondi said:
Could you possibly post the following:
And finally, a close up of those "port holes" that are installed in the front fenders?
And while you're at it, how about a close up of that hood??!!! Pete, those look like 20" script to me on the front fenders, not port holes...unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
pjohnesq said:
And while you're at it, how about a close up of that hood??!!! Pete, those look like 20" script to me on the front fenders, not port holes...unless I'm missing something.
PJ:

I'm blind as a bat and can't tell what the hell it is on the lower front fenders. You may very well be correct, but it looked like "port holes" from my view angle and wanted to see a close up.

I too have a strong appreciation for artisitic modifications to the sheet metal as well as 20" wheel rims and the slammed low rider look. My only "beef or concern" with some of the mods that people make don't understand that those types of mods are "for show" and not designed or engineered to the chassis and suspension geometry of the CTS. So when CTS owners install air bag suspension systems and 20" rims they don't realize that they took a highly engineered sport suspension system and have altered it to the point where they may jeopardize their own safety and the safety of other motorists if that "show system" fails while they are driving the damn car as you would say......"like they stole it".

18" wheel rims were engineered into the confines of the OEM CTS sport suspension system as designed. You can plus size to 19" wheel rims and still maintain the integrity of the OEM sport suspension system. 20" wheel rims absolutely changes the dynamics of the CTS OEM suspension geometry and the CTS sport suspension system. Engineering data will support that statement and that is where you will run into "trouble" driving the car like you stole it.

Plus size wheel maximum limits should be the following if you intend to maintain the integrity of your sport suspension system:

Front: 19 x 8.5
Rear: 19 x 9.5

20" wheel rims look great and I have an appreciation for them for "show" and own a set as well; but they are for "show only." But the bottom line is that 20" rims and the associated rubber severely compromises the integrity of the CTS sport suspension system if you drive the car "like you stole it".

Happy Holidays & warm regards as always to you my good friend:

Pete

·
Registered
356 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Sorry I can't help with the suspension issue...BUT, I noticed you have Cali tags...are you in SOuthern Cali...that is one sweeeeeeet looking CTS....You gotta come out ot one of our meets so I could see that in person...Damn that ride is hot!!!!
Sorry I can't help much with the suspension issue either, my guess would be what has already been said further up. But I'm with PJ on this one, your car is clean. First CTS on bags I've seen. I'm also curious what part of CA you're in.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
GM spends millions to develop a car that has all the safety features and technology that you can put in a car and the best suspension ever for an american car. People screw it up and wonder why things go wrong. You can't do the things we used to do and not compromise something else.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
silver bullet said:
GM spends millions to develop a car that has all the safety features and technology that you can put in a car and the best suspension ever for an american car. People screw it up and wonder why things go wrong. You can't do the things we used to do and not compromise something else.
I agree...its a great looking CTS, but with newer cars, you just cant do all the modifications you used to be able to. Cars arent just metal and other various parts, they have become very intricate electronic vehicles. What I do not understand is why someone planning to do such large scale modifications would opt for a car with Stabilitrack and all the other options...its not like you will ever use that same suspension again, so why not just get a base CTS without stabilitrack, without bose, without any real options, since the car will be gutted anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts