Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i went to get my wheel alignment done shop said they could not do a full one just the "Wheel tow" because the front end of the car is to low and because of the code thats the culprit so i checked for codes theres noting current what could it be im still thinking the steering wheel sensor?

Question 1 What does the stability system consist of?

Question 2 What is the common issue for that message on the DIC?

Question 3 Anything i forgot to ask :D

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The stability system has absolutely nothing to do with ride height. NONE of your cars systems have anything to do with front ride height, it is suspended by coil springs. You need to find a shop that has some idea of what they're talking about.

If you're getting that message, you do have codes.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
Okay so i went to get my wheel alignment done shop said they could not do a full one just the "Wheel tow" because the front end of the car is to low and because of the code thats the culprit so i checked for codes theres noting current what could it be im still thinking the steering wheel sensor?

Question 1 What does the stability system consist of?

Question 2 What is the common issue for that message on the DIC?

Question 3 Anything i forgot to ask :D
-------------------------------
sounds like a bunch of IDIOTS that don't want to work on your car -

because the front end of the car is to low
this IS a possibility - if the ride-height is off -
you can't do an accurate alignment

get a tape measure - and measure from the ground
to the bottom of the wheel opening -
lined up straight through the center of the wheel -
and post the results -

we'll ask Ranger - or one of the other Deville owners to do the same -
and compare numbers -
I'd measure mine - but the DHS is put away for the winter -

and because of the code thats the culprit
so i checked for codes theres noting current
come on - you should know us by now -
WHAT CODES -

a CURRENT codes means SOMETHING is happening NOW -
at this very moment -

post ALL your codes -

but regardless of ANY codes - they will NOT affect an alignment -

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Okay so i went to get my wheel alignment done shop said they could not do a full one just the "Wheel tow"....
There is more to the situation. What "they" told you is correct, but they should have also told you that adjusting camber and/or caster requires removing the strut and elongating the appropriate mounting holes.

Adjusting toe angle is relatively easy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay cool i was wondering it sounded weird, why would ride height affect the alignment i thought, though i guess thats what they ment that the computer cant do it accurately only the tow i dont know ether way ill check the current codes again when it pops up and post em ill measure the tire as well like bass said

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
In a vehicle with single (lower) control arm suspension and McPherson struts in front and shocks in back weak springs will cause the lowered ride height to change wheel camber .......... thus the rear end appearance with a too-low rear suspension height: The wheels are tilted in at the top (excessive negative camber).

As posted, one of the pre-checks in the GM service manual for alignment is to "check ride height". If the ride height is correct but the front wheels do not fall within caster and camber specs, the necessary strut and upper strut mount bolt holes are filed oblong (in the needed direction) to allow adjustment.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay heres the codes it has to be the ABS code causing the message which it says sensor rate malfunction as i thought it be so im not understanding how that affected there ability to do a full alignment :( so its the steering wheel position sensor am i correct?

DDM B1591 - Mirror Vert. Pos Sensor-Out of Range/Open (Current)

IPM B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance (Current)

ABS C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction (History)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts