Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so recently we replaced the right front hub on my Dads STS and this got rid of (on start up) two messages flashing on the DIC service suspension sys and service stability sys. We thought all the problems were fixed. However upon reaching higher speeds (about 50) the dic dings and service stability sys lights up. Ran the codes and got...
C1282 - Yaw Rate Sensor Bias Circuit Malfunction
C1283 - Excessive Time to Center Steering

Code c1282 was history while c1283 was current. We had the car aligned and that wouuld seem the obvious fix to me with a code that reads excessive time to center steering.

Please anyone who has some input help out. We are tryin to get rid of this annoying code.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
OK so recently we replaced the right front hub on my Dads STS and this got rid of (on start up) two messages flashing on the DIC service suspension sys and service stability sys. We thought all the problems were fixed. However upon reaching higher speeds (about 50) the dic dings and service stability sys lights up. Ran the codes and got...
C1282 - Yaw Rate Sensor Bias Circuit Malfunction

Code c1282 was history while c1283 was current. We had the car aligned and that wouuld seem the obvious fix to me with a code that reads excessive time to center steering.

Please anyone who has some input help out. We are tryin to get rid of this annoying code.
Sounds like you need a diagnosis of the steering position sensor and/or accelerometers. An alignment has nothing to do with it. It is an electrical issue. Perhaps ewill3rd can elaborate for you.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
mcowden said:
Sounds like you need a diagnosis of the steering position sensor and/or accelerometers. An alignment has nothing to do with it. It is an electrical issue. Perhaps ewill3rd can elaborate for you.
I'd guess it's the steering position sensor or the yaw sensor. The steering position sensor is a common failure item, but it also throws its own code. The stability system is sensing an inconsistency between the yaw sensor (which keeps track of the direction you're headed) and the steering wheel position. The yaw sensor is the easier of the 2 sensors to replace - it's under the package shelf in the trunk. Since you have a code for the yaw sensor I'd try that first.

Jim

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think ill try the yaw senor if that doesnt fix it ill try my luck with the stealer.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Came on again today only the one code this time no other codes at all anymore ideas?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
Came on again today only the one code this time no other codes at all anymore ideas?
That's starting to sound morel like the steering wheel position sensor.

Jim

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
hows that to replace is it something i wanna even try?
The service manual says you have to remove the steering column. However, a technician at the dealer that replaced mine says they can do it without removing the column. I don't know how as the part is a ring that encircles the column. They know all the tricks, though, since they do it every day. Maybe ewill3rd knows?

Jim

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
1,002 Posts
I have a 99 STS that says: "Service Stability System" periodically

it is giving me the codes:

C1281 - StsbiliTrak sensors uncorrelated
C1283 - Excessive time to center steering
C1286 - steering/lateral accelerometer sensor bias malfunction
C1287 - Steering sensor rate malfunction

Every once in a while when i turn "LEFT" the car seems to think it is sliding and the stability system starts to run the brakes and usually almost stops me; and then right after i feel it release the brakes then it shows "Service Stability System". A lot of the time the display will chime, and then show the service stability system while i am driving on the highway, or sometimes even when i am backing in the garage.
The only thing that it does that i notice in "driveability" is that it trys to stop the car when i am turning LEFT. Kind of scary when the car trys to stop on its own while you are going around a corner.

And of course, the dealer said "it won't do it for us so we see nothing wrong"
They replaced the battery trying to see if it was a low voltage problem... of course, that did nothing to fix the problem; just cost me $140

Do you guys have any sugestions, what should i start with first..
I've got a feeling the steering sensor is the problem, but i'd like to hear what you guys have to say before i spend any money.

It is cheaper for me to buy the parts myself and have the dealer install them, rather than to have them diagnose the car for $85 and then tell me they can't find anything.

I've already had an issue with stalling, the dealer couldn't find the problem...
I replaced the Crank Sensors myself $50 and 1 hour later and it's never stalled since. (Thanks to this Website)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
SevillianSTS said:
C1281 - StsbiliTrak sensors uncorrelated
C1283 - Excessive time to center steering
C1286 - steering/lateral accelerometer sensor bias malfunction
C1287 - Steering sensor rate malfunction
I would say that all of those codes could be caused by a bad steering wheel position sensor. Your dealer should be able to figure that out. I would replace the sensor if I were you. The manual says the steering column has to come out, which is no fun. The dealer that did mine claims they can do it without taking the column out.

Jim

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
how much did it cost you to buy it and have it installed?
I don't remember. I think the part was $70-something. Labor was lumped into hours they took to reprogram the car when I restored it. They didn't break out the labor for the steering position sensor itself.

I had the column out of the car when I rebuilt it. I don't ever want to have to do that again.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts