Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was looking to help someone I know diagnose an issue with their 2009 CTS 3.0 AT. It started showing the following errors when starting up after sitting a while (a few months) then being jump started:

1. Service Stabilitrak
  2. Service Traction Control
  3. Service Brake Assist
In addition the TC and ABS lights are on.

Will my standard Autel OBD reader work for reading the specific codes this is showing or do I need a newer/GM specific one? I have an Autel MaxiScan MS509. I want to know if I have to order a different reader before I get there to save some time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,462 Posts
You'll need on that can read GM abs codes. A local auto shop should be able to read them for you for free if your scanner can't, and you don't want to buy a new one

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,462 Posts
Ah thanks. Is there a GM one you would recommend?
Sorry, I don't have any to recommend. I just use the Torque app and a cheap bluetooth dongle, which can't read the proprietary systems.

I go to AutoZone or Advance Auto and have them scan it for free when there's something the Torque app can't read.

It hasn't happened often enough for me to buy a scanner.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,100 Posts
I have an Autel Diaglink (recommended by Padgett) which will read those codes.
Great scanner, less than $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll take a look at the Diaglink. It seems like a tool that will be useful in the future for me.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,098 Posts
DiagLink is great if you have more than GM cars (mine has GM, Benz, and Chrysler (Jeep) modules otherwise I'd go for the Tech2Win (if you have a spare Windows laptop/tablet).

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,021 Posts
You will be replacing a wheel hub for your car. The magnetic strip around the end of the hub comes apart.

If you have an AWD car this will be a rear hub. AWD when they have a front hub also shuts down the AWD system. If you don't have AWD this could be any one of the hubs.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Should be able to go to the Autel site and find out exactly what it covers. Suspect I'd use my Tech2Win Nano system.
I have one of those but have not been able to get it to work. I finally got it to connect to the device I think but it doesn't recognize the car. Very Frustrating. I would appreciate any help you can provide? The one I have has blue tooth or USB on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problems with my 2008 CTS that also include the Power Steering and the Battery Charging systems. I took it to the Chevrolet Dealer, they are the only GM dealer on island. I picked it up after ten days when they said it was fixed and test driven. They are about 65 miles from home. Net result was when I got the car the Service Power Steering message was on. They said they replaced the part. Before I got two blocks away the Electrical Charging message came up, then the Battery Saver active message. The red battery was lit on the dashboard. Then about 40 miles out the radio went off, the Stability lite, the ABS lite, the red Brake lite all came on and the car shut down. I coasted to the side of the highway and came to a stop. This was Saturday afternoon and with a spare battery was able to get started, and made it home coasting with all the lights lit and no power. Nearest Cadillac Dealer is a barge trip to and from Maul and probably a month's time. Any suggestions for me to give the Chevy parts changers?

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,098 Posts
Get one of these and monitor your voltage.
Red: "I have one of those" - which ? Autel is pretty much select the car. The Tech2Win (mine is USB only) needs a bit of setup but not a lot.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
749 Posts
DiagLink is great if you have more than GM cars (mine has GM, Benz, and Chrysler (Jeep) modules otherwise I'd go for the Tech2Win (if you have a spare Windows laptop/tablet).
You have to pay $10 for each different make of vehicle?

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,100 Posts
You have to pay $10 for each different make of vehicle?
Yes, but the first pick is free. All GM makes are included as one, I believe the same holds true for other manufacturers with different makes under one "umbrella".
Updates are also free for each module you select.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Get one of these and monitor your voltage.
Red: "I have one of those" - which ? Autel is pretty much select the car. The Tech2Win (mine is USB only) needs a bit of setup but not a lot.
Sorry, the Tech2win Nano piece. Mine supports both USB and Bluetooth. I have spent literally hours trying to get it to work. You don't happen to have a VM setup to run it do you? Would be the easiest method. I finally got it to connect to it one time but it doesn't recognize the car at all. Seems to be connecting to the module but I don't know.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,098 Posts
Here are the installation instructions:
- Install the VM software
- Install the VX software (the VX software is for the diagnostic connector that connects to the car, and takes the place of GM's MDI)
- Use the Tech2 Win auto-install
- Install the GM MDI Manager
- Before you open Tech2 Win, you must first open and run the VX Manger software and connect the vehicle connector to the USB, so the VX manager recognizes it (if you do not do this FIRST, the Tech2 program will not be able to locate the interface, and will display "no communication".
- Open Tech2 Win application directly, it will automatically open via through a virtual machine on your computer passively, there is nothing you need to do with the VM software.
- Once the Tech2 splash screen appears, press enter. You will be prompted to select which MDI the Tech2 software is supposed to recognize (this is why you must run the VX manager first, otherwise there will be no MDI selection present to select).
- Connect to the vehicle and begin polling data

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,098 Posts
OK just ran a session. Is best to turn off wireless and use a wired connection.
Assume you have installed all there components: Vmware, VxManager, & Teck2Win.

Connect device to OBD2 socket in car and turn car on (do not need to start but helps).
Run VXManager and verify it finds the NANO device. Minimize.
Run Tech2Win software. After a few enters you should get to the year screen like shown.
Important: Backspace = Exit. Everything else use up and down keys.

One you feed all of the necessary data (Cadillac, VinD, etc) you can select the desired screen. Fuel info shown below.

Keep in mind this is very early software ( suspect designed for DOS) and kinda clunkey but powerful.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Padgett, I will try it in a couple days as I am finishing up my finals... There are two different things you can use with it. SDI and Tech2win. My 2012 I believe can be accessed by either system but only Tech2Win actually came up.

Not sure I have working software for it. Was very kludgy. Maybe we should start a new thread so anyone else can follow along and try to get it to work for them. Starting with what OS you are using. It looks like it needs 32 bit windows 7 for the VM. And yes I shared the USB port with the VM.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
That was a Win 10-64 notebook I used.
Ok, so you did not use a VM on it then? I have a Full Windows 10 Tablet I could run it on. It is a slow sucker but I just have it for HP Tuner and my other blue tooth scanner. But I have to use a USB adapter on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts