Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service ride control came on. I noticed that my rear drivers side shock on my
03' Escalade is leaking. I also noticed that I don't hear my compressor coming on anymore. What should I do? I know that replacing the air shocks is expensive. Has anyone switched out the air shocks with standard shocks? If so which ones did you use? Anything I should know about the swap? Also do I need to do all 4 shocks if I go this route? Does the compressor need to be disconnected? Any help is greatly appreciated. Don-

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
Dvedner said:
My service ride control came on. I noticed that my rear drivers side shock on my 03' Escalade is leaking. I also noticed that I don't hear my compressor coming on anymore. What should I do? I know that replacing the air shocks is expensive. Has anyone switched out the air shocks with standard shocks? If so which ones did you use? Anything I should know about the swap? Also do I need to do all 4 shocks if I go this route? Does the compressor need to be disconnected? Any help is greatly appreciated. Don-
Have you done a "service ride control" search on this forum? All of this has been covered at nauseam. Scroll down and look at my Dorman Compressor post.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe someone else would be kind enough to help me out. I did do a search on service ride control and there is no definitive answer/steps on how to narrow down the problem. I did watch a video on YouTube and here is where I'm at. I checked all fuses: IGN3-10amp, stud 1 - 40amp, RTD - 30 amp, all were good. I also pulled the relay and jumped post 30 to 87 and the compressor did not come on. Is this indicating my compressor is bad? I can remove the compressor. Is there anything that I could check once I remove it? I do have a leaking rear shock so I'm assuming the compressor could have burned up? Can anyone possibly steer me in the right direction from here. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Don

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Dvedner said:
Maybe someone else would be kind enough to help me out. I did do a search on service ride control and there is no definitive answer/steps on how to narrow down the problem. I did watch a video on YouTube and here is where I'm at. I checked all fuses: IGN3-10amp, stud 1 - 40amp, RTD - 30 amp, all were good. I also pulled the relay and jumped post 30 to 87 and the compressor did not come on. Is this indicating my compressor is bad? I can remove the compressor. Is there anything that I could check once I remove it? I do have a leaking rear shock so I'm assuming the compressor could have burned up? Can anyone possibly steer me in the right direction from here. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Don
First you will want to replace the rear shocks as a leaky shock will burn up the compressor over time
You can get both the shocks and compressor on Amazon a lot cheaper then at the dealer and installing them isn't hard to do if you have two floor jacks
The compressor doesn't require a jack to replace its under the left rear quarter panel on the frame rail

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh brother yourself..... Thanks Cadillac Man! Guess you're not too good to help someone out. I have question for you. Do you have any links on which shocks I should use if I take out the air ride? Also, I read a thread that I will need a $60 part that stops the computer from sending the service ride control? Are you aware of what it is I'll have to do so that the computer stops sending the code? Really appreciate the help. Send me your paypal account info and I'll shoot you a few $$$. Thanks. Don

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Dvedner said:
Oh brother yourself..... Thanks Cadillac Man! Guess you're not too good to help someone out. I have question for you. Do you have any links on which shocks I should use if I take out the air ride? Also, I read a thread that I will need a $60 part that stops the computer from sending the service ride control? Are you aware of what it is I'll have to do so that the computer stops sending the code? Really appreciate the help. Send me your paypal account info and I'll shoot you a few $$$. Thanks. Don
You can disconnect the module it's behind the rear trim panel near the hvac system if you have a shorty escalade

Most passive shocks come with the resistors but I see another member has posted that info

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you both very much! If I disconnect the module do I still need the resistors? Also which passive shocks would you recommend if I'm consistently pulling a boat with this vehicle?

----------

Also, if all my fuses are good and I jumped the relay (post 87 to 30) and the conpressor didn't come on does that mean my compressor is bad?

----------

Please disregard the first question. I've decided to stay with the air ride. Still need to positively determine whether the compressor is bad or not though...

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Yes if you jumped the pins and the compressor won't kick on then it's bad

You can get it and the shocks(all four) on Amazon for a lot less then the dealer

Replacing them is not hard to do either

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a million cadillac man. Youve really helped me out a lot the few times that I've been on the site needing advice. You're a good dude. BTW did you redo your rear shocks yet and if so did you stay with the air or switch to passive?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
the cadillac man said:
Yes if you jumped the pins and the compressor won't kick on then it's bad You can get it and the shocks(all four) on Amazon for a lot less then the dealer Replacing them is not hard to do either
Which pins I need to check mine

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,133 Posts
Pull the relay and jump 87 to 30.
Well done, you contributed back to the forum.
Send me your paypal account info and I'll shoot you a few $$$.
Maybe we should paypal you!

BTW when you decide to flame me:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7588185
There are over 10 pages of threads dedicated to the "unusual" problem that only YOU are experiencing!

----------

One more thing Don,

I have most certainly gone above and beyond most "members" here. You will have to read to enlighten yourself:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/246482-faq-diy-guides-how-manuals.html

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It says in your thread that the passive shocks from Arnott use the auto leveling but do not have dampening. My question is do the passive Arnott shocks use the compressor for the auto leveling?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
Dvedner said:
It says in your thread that the passive shocks from Arnott use the auto leveling but do not have dampening. My question is do the passive Arnott shocks use the compressor for the auto leveling?
Yes, they use the compressor for the auto leveling.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Huddy. Okay I have the Bilstein Arnott AS-2700's and a new compressor. Looks like a very easy install. One question though. After I install the new parts is there anything I have to do to remove the Service Ride Control message ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts