Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Service Ride Control is on. The guy I bought the car from says it is because of the chrome wheels and the sensor not getting a good contact. Is this possible? When I run the system monitor I get no codes.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im not sure I agree on the correlation between the chrome wheels and the sensor thing........

How many miles does you car have on it, and have the struts ever been serviced???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a problem with the chrome wheel correlation too. According to the factory manual the diagnostic chart for "SERCIVE RIDE CONTROL message displayed, no RSS codes set" is basically to check the 2 fuses for the RSS system. One is fuse B11 in the engine compartment, the other is fuse A3 in the trunk compartment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1998
51 Posts
Hi ! I also have a "Service ride control" message on my Deville 94. My mechanician told me it's because of the shocks. They changed it and put jobbers instead off "cadillac shocks". Maybe he's right .... maybe not !

Peace !!

PS: Tell me if those fuses fixed the message !

·
Registered
47 Posts
bleibert said:
Hi, Service Ride Control is on. The guy I bought the car from says it is because of the chrome wheels and the sensor not getting a good contact. Is this possible? When I run the system monitor I get no codes.
Theres a couple areas to look at. Most likely its struts but could also be position sensors. Pull the codes and post

·
Registered
4 Posts
cadfan said:
Theres a couple areas to look at. Most likely its struts but could also be position sensors. Pull the codes and post
Shock or sensor problems would sent a code in the computer. Since the original message said there were no codes I still say either there is a bad fuse OR there is a problem in the power wiring to the RSS computer. As I undrstand the system anything else would set a code.

·
Registered
24 Posts
service ride control

my car has the same problem yet it seems to be caused by driving in wet weather. it used to say "service ride control" when i would drive and the roads were wet or it was raining. this would show for a couple of days and then dissapear. i have tried to disconnect the electrical plugs in the fender well and put electrical grease in to keep the water out but this has not seemed to fix the problem. unfortunately, as of now, "service ride control" has been showing for about a month and a half reguardless of weather conditions. i have a buddy who works on cadillacs and he said that most of them that come in show the same problem and even upon resetting the codes, it will reappear. i find this problem very annoying and if yall find out what the culprit is then please let me know. btw, i have chorme rims also but this is the first time i have heard of that as being the culprit.

good luck and keep me posted.
jcdsog.

also i found some info here that may help http://www.automotiveforums.com/t66411.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone ever find a way to disable the service ride control message?
I have non-cad parts and my mechanic cannot stop the message.
It is a 94 Cad Eldo TC

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also had a Service Ride Control message on my 94 Concours. Turned out to be the left-rear accelerometer. Unfortunatly the dealership no longer stocks them and GM doesn't manufacture them however, junkyards do have them and I have been recently informed there is an aftermarket company that makes them.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Guys Please pull the codes and post them up here. I have done a LOT of research on the RSS system and I could help you get the message to go away. The first step is pulling the codes.

Here's how:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html

alliance said:
...OR there is a problem in the power wiring to the RSS computer...
That would set DTC I039. You are right about the fuses though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pulled my codes and was wondering if you could tell me what I need to do. I have a feeling the front struts are bad since they are very bouncy and I also know the rear air compressor is not working. Here is what appeared when I ran the onbourd diagnostics:
Code P052 History
Code P055 Current
Code I039 History
Code I052 History
No ACP Codes
No SIR Codes
PCM?

I thanks you in advance for any help in what I need to do next.
Ticker52

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Krashed989 said:
Guys Please pull the codes and post them up here. I have done a LOT of research on the RSS system and I could help you get the message to go away. The first step is pulling the codes.
My ride control code is S038, which is ELC Exhaust Valve/Short to Ground. I would appreciate any help you can offer to fix this problem so I can have my ride control back.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
ticker52 said:
I pulled my codes and was wondering if you could tell me what I need to do. I have a feeling the front struts are bad since they are very bouncy and I also know the rear air compressor is not working. Here is what appeared when I ran the onbourd diagnostics:
Code P052 History
Code P055 Current
Code I039 History
Code I052 History
No ACP Codes
No SIR Codes
PCM?

I thanks you in advance for any help in what I need to do next.
Ticker52

P052-----PCM Memory Reset (from disconnecting the battery)
P055-----Closed Throttle Angle Out of Range [TPS] (might be time to clean out the throttle body)
I039-----Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data (where your SRC message is coming from)
I052-----Keep Alive Memory Error (also from disconnecting the battery)

For your SRC problem, I would first check fuses C5 and A3 in the engine compartment. If one of them is blown, it means that there is a short to ground in the corresponding wire.... If neither of them is blown, I would go on and check the ground to the RSS module... if that doesn't help we'll go on from there.

M.A.C said:
My ride control code is S038, which is ELC Exhaust Valve/Short to Ground. I would appreciate any help you can offer to fix this problem so I can have my ride control back.
Usually the short to ground is internal... You have to disect the ELC compressor to fix that one....
Although, you should check the wireing first: Just stick one ohmmeter probe in a terminal on the plug and the other to something that is grounded, if you get 5 ohms or less with any of them, you know you have a grounded wire rather than an internal problem with the ELC compressor.

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Krashed989 said:
Usually the short to ground is internal... You have to disect the ELC compressor to fix that one....Although, you should check the wireing first: Just stick one ohmmeter probe in a terminal on the plug and the other to something that is grounded, if you get 5 ohms or less with any of them, you know you have a grounded wire rather than an internal problem with the ELC compressor.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

I'm going to follow-up on your advice. If it turns out there is an internal short to ground, I take it that the compressor must be replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service Ride Control 94 Sedan Deville

I looked at the fuse box under the hood and the C5 and does not exist. Along with the C4, C6 and C7. All of these are listed on the diagram as the struts. I have no inputs for fuses in thos spots.
The A3 which is the PCM is a good fuse.
So, is there anything else to check?

Krashed989 said:
P052-----PCM Memory Reset (from disconnecting the battery)
P055-----Closed Throttle Angle Out of Range [TPS] (might be time to clean out the throttle body)
I039-----Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data (where your SRC message is coming from)
I052-----Keep Alive Memory Error (also from disconnecting the battery)

For your SRC problem, I would first check fuses C5 and A3 in the engine compartment. If one of them is blown, it means that there is a short to ground in the corresponding wire.... If neither of them is blown, I would go on and check the ground to the RSS module... if that doesn't help we'll go on from there.

Usually the short to ground is internal... You have to disect the ELC compressor to fix that one....
Although, you should check the wireing first: Just stick one ohmmeter probe in a terminal on the plug and the other to something that is grounded, if you get 5 ohms or less with any of them, you know you have a grounded wire rather than an internal problem with the ELC compressor.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Re: Service Ride Control 94 Sedan Deville

ticker52 said:
I looked at the fuse box under the hood and the C5 and does not exist. Along with the C4, C6 and C7. All of these are listed on the diagram as the struts. I have no inputs for fuses in thos spots.
The A3 which is the PCM is a good fuse.
So, is there anything else to check?

I'll copy and paste what it says in my all-data for you...

Code I039 will set if the ignition is on and the IPC is not able to exchange data with the RSS module (if any other communication codes are stored along with I039, see the chart of "MULTIPLE INTERMITTENT CODES"). When this is the only communication code stored, the problem must be one of the following:

• An open in CKT 800 between the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM) and RSS module and an open in CKT 800 between the RSS module and programmer (ACP).
  • An open or short in the RSS module power or ground circuits.
  • A faulty RSS module.
During the time the failure is present, no RSS diagnostic information will be available for display. The "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message will be displayed on the IPC. Also, while in the service diagnostic mode, this code will remain active, always checking for proper operations.

C5 is the power supply to the RSS module in my car.... I would take a paper clip and jump the terminals on C5 to see if it works with that circuit closed.... By any chance, does your deville have the 4.9 liter engine rather than the northstar?

M.A.C said:
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

I'm going to follow-up on your advice. If it turns out there is an internal short to ground, I take it that the compressor must be replaced?
Yes, that's one fix for it (easy yet expensive). But it is possible to just fix the old one (hard yet cheap)... LOL, if you're like me you'd give it a shot. I try to fix everything. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts