Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Huh? I gunned it across an intersection last night, so I could take a gap and turn into a parking lot and the jolt in 1st gear apparently jarred something loose and I lost my power steering and got a 'service power steering' message. So, I did a little research last night and "LowFlight" (think he's on this board) had the same issue and a tuner told him to tighten the ground strap bolt as that can loosen and cause a short triggering the message. So, I pulled my Airaid tube out and sure enough my ground bolt was fairly loose. I tightened the crap out of it, bolted everything back together on the Airaid and tightened all the bolts/screws. Then, I checked my power steering fluid and it was barely registering on the dipstick, so I added some power steering fluid I happened to have and this morning, no warning light.

Anyone else had this issue? Thought it was odd that a loose ground bolt can cause a 'service power steering' message and for the power steering assist to turn off???

·
Registered
2009 CTSV bone stock
627 Posts
Well if the ground strap was loose then the tube is not grounded, and a electrical charge can and will build up on the tube as air moves within it. If the strap was loose... then suddenly connected then a surge would be put through the system which could cause odd things to happen. Engineers, like me, design things for reasons you know.

·
Registered
'12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really wonder why this isn't a bigger problem for those that don't even attach the airaid to the ground bolt? Ohhhh...wait a sec. If they never attach the airaid to the ground bolt, then the ground bolt is nice and secured straight from the factory because it's never messed with, hence no issue....

Hey Airaid, how about a locking washer or something to keep this bolt from backing out over time? I'm anal about tightening stuff down, but somehow it still loosened over the past year or so causing this issue.

·
Registered
NONE
779 Posts
Really wonder why this isn't a bigger problem for those that don't even attach the airaid to the ground bolt? Ohhhh...wait a sec. If they never attach the airaid to the ground bolt, then the ground bolt is nice and secured straight from the factory because it's never messed with, hence no issue....

Hey Airaid, how about a locking washer or something to keep this bolt from backing out over time? I'm anal about tightening stuff down, but somehow it still loosened over the past year or so causing this issue.
Thanks for that. I'll need to remind myself to check the mounting bolt every now and then since mine isn't secured to the ground bolt

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's
317 Posts
I just didn't attach my air raid to the ground bolt. That thing is such a PITA. Seems to hold up fine
When I was installing my airaid I was dreading the bolt from what I was reading on the forums- guess what? it was not an issue AT ALL.
I really think some of you do not place the airaid in the right position and that is why you fight with that bolt.
I mean it was REALLY easy- maybe take it back out and try installing again. I think I was even able to tighten most of it by hand it lined up that easily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts