Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
00' Silver/Blk STS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what to get as far as manuals are concerned.

Are the DVD service manuals I see on EBAY the "real" deal?
Are they as good as the paper 3 book set?

Just sounds to good.

2000 STS "Paper" Set is 140-180.00
"DVD" 35.00

:confused::suspect::suspect::wtf:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
Depends on what you like. I prefer paper, but you can get then on Ebay for much less. They are $135 new from Helm Inc. You should be able to pick up a set for $50 or so.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Some of the DVD manuals on eBay are complete ripoffs with generic instructions on how to polish your lug nuts and what color air to put in the tires. Check the seller's feedback on similar items to get a better idea if they are selling OEM information or generic Haynes/Chiltons crap on a DVD. Often as not you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Several weeks ago, Submariner posted a link to online FSMs. I went to the site and you can subscribe for about $26 a year which might be a better way to go if the online version is as good as the hardcopy FSM. Sorry - I didn't subscribe and lost track of the thread, but maybe Submariner can repost here that link, and this time I will save it a favorite. Has anyone here used the online version? If so, what's your opinion on the quality of details?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
www.alldatadiy.com is a great reference tool, but it is sort of like a DVD manual: You need to be online, staring at a screen instead of getting your hard copy dirty with greasy fingers and a wrench in your teeth.

BUT, alldata has not only the complete updated service manuals for your exact car with a skrillion graphics, but also it has all recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, labor hours (both flat rate and in-house warranty), wiring diagrams, torque values, specs, actually more info than you'll ever use. They give some sort of discount for a 3-year subscription as well as discount renewals.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Thanks Submariner, this time I am saving the link and will consider subscribing based on your comments. Yes, I'm OK with starting a repair at the computer, and if need be, I can print out the most pertinent information to keep with me in the garage doing the actual work. Maybe aclement will consider going the online route too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts