Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently Bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville. I like to using Service Manual from the Dealership for the up keep of my Vehicles.
I have been Using the Cadillac Forums because I am waiting for the delivery of my new book's (3 volume set). I notice there is a lot of Negativity brewing, boiling, and rudeness ruining this web site hangout.
What Do You think?
:unsure:
I suggest purchasing the electronic version as it is updated on a regular basis. The paper is not.

I suggest purchasing the electronic version as it is updated on a regular basis. The paper is not.

·
Registered
2000 SLS, 2004 SLS
12 Posts
I recently Bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville. I like to using Service Manual from the Dealership for the up keep of my Vehicles.
I have been Using the Cadillac Forums because I am waiting for the delivery of my new book's (3 volume set). I notice there is a lot of Negativity brewing, boiling, and rudeness ruining this web site hangout.
What Do You think?
:unsure:
I own a 2000 SLS with 293K miles. I prefer to use the factory manuals. A lot easier to use especially when you have to go back and forth between pages plus you don't need a computer to use them!:giggle:

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD Export (ex Japan RHD)
17 Posts
I own a 2000 SLS with 293K miles. I prefer to use the factory manuals. A lot easier to use especially when you have to go back and forth between pages plus you don't need a computer to use them!:giggle:
That's why I printed it off together with the kenwood dashcam and Kenwood stereo/nav system manuals

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 4-door, 2016 ATS-V 2-door
491 Posts
I became aware of this thread from one of those "Trending posts" emails this site sends out, but I was surprised at the discontent this subject has generated.

Paper service manuals for a 2000 Deville are out of print. Your only choice for that is either used books from eBay or Faxon Automotive Literature in Riverside, California or you can look for one of the pirated DVD copies.

One line, the best choice is offered by GM itself though ACDelco's "Technical Data Service (TDS)" It is known as GM Service Information or "GMSi" and is the same service GM dealers use. It is less expensive and more accurate than aftermarket sources for on-line data such as Alldata. GMSi is a subscription service which can be had in a 3-day, one-month or one-year term. What I like is the 3-day term only runs 20 bucks so, let's say your going to remove the intake manifold. You spring for three days of GMSi, print the parts of GMSi pertaining to intake manifold removal then do the work.

The good thing about GMSi is any and all FSM updates are included as well as all TSBs for all GM models and model years going clear back to the late 1990's.

For more information, see the ADDelco TDS web site at ACDelco TDS then go to the bottom of the page.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Alldata IS the GM/Cadillac online service manuals - exactly the same as my original paper manuals, but with essential online links to some updates, parts pricing, labor times, all TSB, and all DTCs with their attached links to diagnostics, schematics, system descriptions, and repair advice. A multi-year subscription is dirt cheap when compared to other online manuals.

Easy to use either this laptop in the shop - or open the paper manuals. Post #5.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
126 Posts
I've been buying GM manuals since before there was an internet to turn to. That said, I've always found them hard to navigate. Digital manuals work better since they are searchable, but for quite awhile now I've found forums like this to be quicker. They offer tips and experience that you can't get from the FSM.

As a relative newcomer I also agree there is a lot of negativity on this site and of course the ones who run their mouths without adding anything positive are going to deny it. I try to be civil and respect those who deserve it. Sadly a lot of people who have nothing better to do than come here every single day, really just sort of clutter up the place. I think heavier moderation and bans would improve the site. Just my opinion. Feel free to pick on me too since some of you have nothing better to do.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Back in the Dark Ages the Owner's Manuals for my 1953 MG-TD, a 1954 Austin Healey 100-4, and a 1957 Jaguar XK-140 MC all included directions on removing cylinder heads and valves, changing brakes, adding oil to the Girling shocks, carburetor ("carburetter") adjustment and tuning, other good stuff. Back when owners knew how to check their engine and transmission oils and change a tire.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts