Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just got a new-to-me 2003 Seville STS :) and I have a question for you folks about which Service Manuals to get.

[[My 1993 Deville bit the dust. :crying2: Looks like the tranny cooler inside the radiator gave way. :helpless: Over at least several hundred miles :bang2:, the coolant mixed with tranny fluid. Looks like the tranny is toast. Fluid in tranny and radiator overflow tank is this icky-smelling, dark brown stuff. :bulging: Engine oil is still the golden honey color. Engine is still in tip-top shape at 298,000 miles. Burns zero oil. I guess all that Mobil 1 and 7500 mile oil changes paid off. :2thumbs: Bummer, was only short of the magic 300,000 mile mark by just a couple thousand miles. Interior and exterior still look brand-new. If I had another garage, I'd fix and keep it. To keep it outside will just accelerate paint and interior deterioration, not to mention clutter my street with another car.]]

I bought a 2003 STS :cool2: Friday and I'm looking to get the service manuals that have proved so valuable to me in maintaining both my 1985 and 1993 DeVilles.

Over at Helm, Inc, I see there are two manuals I could buy. One is the 2003 Cadillac Seville K-Platform Service Manual for $135 and the other is 2003 Transmission Unit Repair Manual for $50. I dunno if getting the Tranny manual will be a useful thing. :confused: The first one is a no brainer to get, but the tranny one has all the diagnostics for driviability troubleshooting, etc. The description for this manual on Helm's website says:

"...provides the user a step-by-step approach for diagnosing drivability, emission and power train control system symptoms. This manual should be used in conjunction with the Shop Manual and Wiring Diagram. This manual has been divided into separate sections in an easy to use format."

Should I get the tranny one, too? :suspense:

Cheers,
Tim

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
Hmm, I am about to look for a set for my newly aquired '02 Seville. All that stuff (diagnosing drivability, emission and power train control system symptoms) used to be in the regular manual. I wonder if they split it off to get use to spend another $50?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it just got too big or it wasn't used that often. However, cannot discount the profit motive.

·
Registered
98 STS
295 Posts
I just got the 3 book set off e-bay for my 98 sts for $50.00 wich included shipping (mint cond.) type in the make and year and see what comes up it worked with me

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been checking on eBay for the last week or so and so far, nothing. Maybe 2003 is too new for this stuff to be appearing on eBay just yet.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
thu said:
Hello All,

I just got a new-to-me 2003 Seville STS :) and I have a question for you folks about which Service Manuals to get.

[[My 1993 Deville bit the dust. :crying2: Looks like the tranny cooler inside the radiator gave way. :helpless: Over at least several hundred miles :bang2:, the coolant mixed with tranny fluid. Looks like the tranny is toast. Fluid in tranny and radiator overflow tank is this icky-smelling, dark brown stuff. :bulging: Engine oil is still the golden honey color. Engine is still in tip-top shape at 298,000 miles. Burns zero oil. I guess all that Mobil 1 and 7500 mile oil changes paid off. :2thumbs: Bummer, was only short of the magic 300,000 mile mark by just a couple thousand miles. Interior and exterior still look brand-new. If I had another garage, I'd fix and keep it. To keep it outside will just accelerate paint and interior deterioration, not to mention clutter my street with another car.]]

I bought a 2003 STS :cool2: Friday and I'm looking to get the service manuals that have proved so valuable to me in maintaining both my 1985 and 1993 DeVilles.

Over at Helm, Inc, I see there are two manuals I could buy. One is the 2003 Cadillac Seville K-Platform Service Manual for $135 and the other is 2003 Transmission Unit Repair Manual for $50. I dunno if getting the Tranny manual will be a useful thing. :confused: The first one is a no brainer to get, but the tranny one has all the diagnostics for driviability troubleshooting, etc. The description for this manual on Helm's website says:

"...provides the user a step-by-step approach for diagnosing drivability, emission and power train control system symptoms. This manual should be used in conjunction with the Shop Manual and Wiring Diagram. This manual has been divided into separate sections in an easy to use format."

Should I get the tranny one, too? :suspense:

Cheers,
Tim
Just my 2¢

Yes, get both, you will be glad you did in the long run.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIG ERN said:
isn't your 2003 still under warrenty?
Yes, it still is. I want the FSMs for several reasons, mainly:
- to learn about the car and its systems
- to be able to tell if the dealer is BS'ing me when I bring it in for warranty repairs
- to be able to fix it on my own when the warranty runs out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts