Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 XTS - 80,000 miles
A while back, I put a post here about this problem.

I have replaced the battery in all 3 FOB's. Switched between them if the Service Keyless Start System message came up.
Well,now the message is coming on almost daily , when before it was like once a month, then once a week. Changing FOB's makes no difference.

Now I am suspecting the issue is somewhere in the car.
I remember I had to replace the touchscreen on the CUE, but don't remember if the FOB issue started before or after the touchscreen replacement.

1) Could it be the starter?
2) Could it be the start button? Maybe I kinked a wire when I removed the panels to replace the touchscreen (dash and center panels)?
3) In the previous post, someone said there is a way to start the car by putting the FOB in a certain place. I tried to find it in the manual, but cannot.
It says if there is a "Service keyless start system", take to the Dealer for service. What is likely to happen? Is the Start button bad, etc?
I'd rather fix it myself if it is something simple.

I even tried Youtube, internet search, and practically everything says to replace FOB battery.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just thought of a couple of things...
1) I did disconnect and clean the battery posts last weekend, made no difference.
2) Where are the antennas for the FOB's? Is there one in the armrest or console? Maybe I disconnected it when repairing the touchscreen?
3) Car is clean, no junk piled up in the trunk or car.
4) Is is possible I can do a "relearn procedure" to reset the sensors that read the signal from the FOB's?

I am thinking tomrrow, I will remove the panel and look at the button connection/wires for the Start pushbutton.

·
Registered
2013 XTS Luxury
48 Posts
The key fob can go in the center console. Use your cell phone flashlight. It's towards the front and right. Make sure the metal part of your fob is at the bottom. If you still don't find it, let me know, and I will take a pic of mine with the fob in it.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,808 Posts
The inductive keyfob slot location is shown on pages 2-6 - 2-7 in your Owner's manual.

If your workmanship hasn't affected your starting system, (and having replaced my CUE screen, the chances aren't great) you may have an issue with either programming or your RCDLR which controls the BCM when a Start command is requested - this assumes your fobs are operating correctly (unlocking doors, etc.)

You can eliminate the start switch by using the Remote Start function from your fob, and it's a simple test to ensure the RCDLR is receiving a signal. (Also tested when the fob functions are used.)

Fob slot location illustration is on pages 2-6 -2-7 in your Owner's manual.

CC

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can eliminate the start switch by using the Remote Start function from your fob, and it's a simple test to ensure the RCDLR is receiving a signal. (Also tested when the fob functions are used.)

CC
OK, thanks I found the slot where I am supposed to put the FOB in the armrest. Of course that doesn't make a difference, since the FOB is working.
All 3 FOB's open/lock doors and and opens trunk, but the "Service" message comes up when I trade out the FOB's, so the problem cannot be the FOB.

Thinking back... I am fairly sure the first time I saw the "Service Keyless Start System" was about a year ago, but it happened once every 2-3 months and I figured it was a quirk. So I ignored it.
Then maybe 2-3 months ago, it started happening more frequently. Now, it happening almost daily. So I am fairly sure the work I did on the Cue screen did not make the problem worse or start the problem.

@ ccclarke, I just went out to my car and pushed the remote start. Nothing happened. Is this the button with the arrow that is in shaped like a circle? I remember trying this with another FOB about 3 months ago just to see what it was. Nothing happened back then, so I thought maybe it was an option that was turned down by the previous owner?

So what is the worse that will happen if I dont fix this? If I cannot remote start, I don't care. But if it will affect me not being able to start the car with the start button on the dash, then I do want to fix it.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
217 Posts
Rockhound, you may not be using the correct technique for the remote start procedure. Check your owner's manual. I believe you have to first hit the lock button on the remote, then, within 5 seconds, hit the remote start button.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, with the new instructions, the remote start DOES work.
However, when I got in the car, I could not shift into drive. I had turn the car off, then push the start button to move the shift stick.
I also noticed the green light on the start button was not on when I use the remote start. The light is green only when I push the start button.

Any idea what is going on as far as "Service remote start system" really means?
Is this something I can figure out, or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Is this something where if I ignore this message, the car will still start every time? or am I playing Russian Roulette?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The remote start procedure is on page 2-9 of your Owner's manual. You press the lock button then press and hold the start button for a minimum of 4 seconds or until the turn signal lights flash/car starts. The lamp flash indicates the RCDLR is receiving the signal, so it's useful as a troubleshooting aid.

CC

Your post popped up just as I posted my reply. I have to get back to a class I'm teaching, so I'll check back in later.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
217 Posts
OK, with the new instructions, the remote start DOES work.
However, when I got in the car, I could not shift into drive. I had turn the car off, then push the start button to move the shift stick.
I also noticed the green light on the start button was not on when I use the remote start. The light is green only when I push the start button.

Any idea what is going on as far as "Service remote start system" really means?
Is this something I can figure out, or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Is this something where if I ignore this message, the car will still start every time? or am I playing Russian Roulette?
Rockhound, will you PLEASE read your owner's manual?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will when I get home...

But this is not my issue (about remote start)..
What I am trying to solve is the "Service Keyless Start System" message and what I need to do about it.

The only thing I see in the manual about this message is " take the car to the dealer".

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.. the remote starts as it should....

Now I came across 2-6 "Programming Transmitter to the Vehicle".
I have 3 "good transmitters".
What would happen if I try to do this? Put one transmitter in the pocket and try to program one of the others? Would it do a reset?

I am trying to go back to square 1. What can I do about the "Service Keyless Start System" message that comes up?
Or am I stuck and have to take the car to the Dealer?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I been trying to mentally pick this situation apart.
What is the keyless start system?
I am thinking it has to do with the following:
1) Starter
2) Starter relay
3) Start push button
4) Software that tell how long to engage the starter/ that everything is in proper order ( FOB is correct, brake pedal is depressed, etc..)
5) Switch on the brake pedal
6) Gear position switch ( needs to be on P or N)

Is there anything else? I am almost inclined to swap out the brake switch and start push button.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Before you start throwing money away needlessly by using educated "guesses", you need to understand the operation of the keyless starting system and the way it communicates with the various switches and sensors. The XTS, (and all modern Cadillacs) use multiple networks to make any operator-controlled event happen. This is why either the proper scan tool or a dealership visit is the fastest way to isolate the majority of problems with these vehicles.

Since you asked the right question: "What is the Keyless Start System?" begin here: https://www.repairprocedures.com/index.php

For $15 a day, you can download all the factory shop manual data needed to get a handle on the system operation. Just cut and paste the info to a blank Word document. You'll need to re-size the illustrations.

CC

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have an FSM, but the descriptions are not what I would use. Things have changed over the years.
For example, I have always said "Fuel Pump". The FSM says Fuel Sending Unit. Or at least it did on the 2002 FSM.

I have looked up Service Keyless Start System and it simply says to take it to the Dealer. No descriptions...

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Which guide/procedure refers you to a dealer service department?

My (hardcopy) XLR FSMs have an entire section devoted to the Keyless Entry System with a detailed system description, connector face pin-outs, schematics, troubleshooting guides, and replacement procedures for all components. It is meant to be used by dealer service techs, so it has extensive info.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the CUE replacement procedure. I was a tech for a long time before I became an engineer so I try to write docs that appeal to both. But in the end, simpler is usually better.

CC

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was from the owners manual that tells me if this message comes up, take it to the dealer.
I cannot find anything in the FSM. I am looking up "Keyless start system" and "Service Keyless start system" and cannot find anything.
I even scanned for code and nothing shows up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts