Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of a 2800 mile trip and at 400mi got a steady service engine soon light. I check my codes its showing a po603 (engine misfire detected) a po603 (memory reset) and a po741 (torque converter clutch stuck off). During the trip the car ran like a cadillac (awesome) gas mileage between 31.2 and 27.5 Lots of power and never missed a beat. I would rather not do anything major to the car untill i get back home so I plan on resetting the codes and assuming my trip. What bothers me if this might be a warning for something more serious like a complete engine shut down. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything I can do to lower the risk of a bigger problem? In the meantime I will check the battery cables, a memory reset is usually caused by a battery disconnect I wonder if that could tie into a misfire and/or stuck off torque converter. I have a 97sls with 108000 miles.Thanks Mike

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
mike5514 said:
Im in the middle of a 2800 mile trip and at 400mi got a steady service engine soon light. I check my codes its showing a po603 (engine misfire detected) a po603 (memory reset) and a po741 (torque converter clutch stuck off). During the trip the car ran like a cadillac (awesome) gas mileage between 31.2 and 27.5 Lots of power and never missed a beat. I would rather not do anything major to the car untill i get back home so I plan on resetting the codes and assuming my trip. What bothers me if this might be a warning for something more serious like a complete engine shut down. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything I can do to lower the risk of a bigger problem? In the meantime I will check the battery cables, a memory reset is usually caused by a battery disconnect I wonder if that could tie into a misfire and/or stuck off torque converter. I have a 97sls with 108000 miles.Thanks Mike
At 108k miles, it's overdue for a set of plugs and wires, that could be the source of the misfire. It is also overdue for a coolant drain and refill. If the battery is disconnected for about 30 seconds or more, the P0603 will set. It could have happened some time far in the past. The P0741 code I can't help you with, but if you use the Search feature above, you'll find lots of information about it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
TCC stuck off just means that your tourque converter is not locking up at 41 MPH, thus there is minor slippage, so you are turning 100-200 higher RPM at any given speed. Worst case is that your milage may drop by 1 MPG or less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts