Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi iam new to the fourm and have a couple of problems

1. My service soon light is on for about a month now what will trigger this to go off?

2. Iam starting to smell fumes come form the car if i leave it running for a while then drive what is the cause?

3. when iam driving around 65miles the car starts to shake not real bad but very noticable I've had the tie rods done the wheel balanced and air pressure done any other suggestions.

4. last where is the fuse located for the 2 tag lights and what number. one was working but the other one was burnt but when i replaced it both shorted out also when i step on the emergency brake the red park brake doesn't illuminate on the dash and fuse for that thanks

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I did the code test and alot of them stated a number then current behind the 4 digit number the rest stated a number then history or no codes so what does current mean? is that what's current wrong or is that's nothing wrong?

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
908 Posts
If you'd like our help, please list each code along with its definition (as explained in the link above) & whether each one is Current or History. Then we can go from there.

History means the code has passed the most recent test for that item, but has not passed it enough times yet to go away. Current means it failed the most recent test for that particular item. Give as both as they all can be clues to your problem(s).

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I too had the vibration on my car above 60mph. I was told my tires were the problem, so I bit the bullet and bought 4 new tires, and had them balanced and my car aligned as well and no more vibration. I even ran the car at 100mph and no vibration at all smooth as silk.

David

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts
ok I did the code test and alot of them stated a number then current behind the 4 digit number the rest stated a number then history or no
As 70cougar posted, go back to the code sticky and open the URL with "obd2" in the address. This will take you to a Master Index box with links to all P, B, C, and U codes (those letters are defined in the Index links). Write down all your codes, whether they are Current or History, and their definitions. Come back and post it all in this thread.

Meanwhile, go up in the black bar ^^^ and read - study - the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. There are several very interesting articles there, including "Occasional full throttle operation...........". When you're done there, go down to Discussions; Item Specific; Cadillac Technical Tips: 9 pages of threads which answer practically any question you may have.

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here are the codes that read out
ABS C1214 current
ABS C1248 current
IPM B0429 current
SDM B0029 current
SDM B0041 current

the rest said no codes then asked if I want ID codes I pushed no. is there a fuse for the tag lights?

·
Administrator
73,446 Posts
Bump........:bump:

Maybe we can pack this all together ???

Still waiting for the OP to post the DTC definitions...........(my last post - definitions - this thread.)

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The codes terms frm what I looked up were

ABS C1214 = abs-brakes c-chassis 1-mfg 2-fuel&air meter injection and the last two numbers 14 I don't understand

ABS C1248= abs-brakes c-chassis 1-mfg 2-fuel&air meter injection and the last two numbers 48 I don't understand

IPM B0429= Instrament panel module b=body 0=sae 4=auxiliary emissions and the last two numbers 29 I don't know what they mean

SDM B0029= SDM=Sensing&dianostic module B=body 0=sae 0=reserve and the last two numbers 29 I don't know what they mean

SDM B0041= SDM=Sensing& diagnostic module B=body 0=sae 0=reserve and the last two numbers 41 I dont understand.

Thats all of them. I say I don't understand the last two numbers because on the info sheet it just states fault (00)-99 on the Disecting the DTC chart I'am new to this so that's what I on my my cars read out the rest stated no codes for Systems abbreviations

·
Registered
908 Posts
You didn't look far enough down in the obd2 link, so I just looked them up:

C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open

The above is an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) fault. It should turn on the "Service Stability System" warning light. Is that on? This code often leads to replacing the EBCM (ABS computer module) or if you are lucky it's a loose wire.

C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

The above code goes along with C1214. It just means the ABS is disabled, and your "Brake" warning light should be on. Is it?

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

This means one of the HVAC door actuators is not following in the commanded position. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car, just how well the heat & A/C work in relation to the temp settings. You can fix at your leisure, or ignore if the heat & A/C seem to be working right.

B0029 - Right Front/Passenger Side Deployment Loop Open

This relates to your passenger side impact (not frontal) air bag. You should have the "Air Bag" indicator warning light on, which means one or more of your air bags is not operational.

B0041 - Left Front/Driver Side Deployment Loop Open

Ditto, only this one is for the driver's side impact air bag. These require some complex steps to diagnose & fix, again unless it is a loose wire or connector.

These are not common codes. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) gives steps to check each one. But above will give you the basics.

Did all this stuff happen at once, with all these Stability System, Brake, and Air Bag warning lights coming on (I assume they are all on, even though you didn't mention any of them)? Or one at a time? If all at once, I am wondering about some common electrical cause....like a major wire connector becoming disconnected.

In any case, none of these codes will set the Service Engine Soon (SES) light, which you did say was on. Do you have any History codes set? (you must to have the SES on).

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you very much well I just brought the car and had to go through inspection and the rear brakes and the left side brakes were bad so I had the back replaced and haven't done the front but they also said that the brake light on the dash when you push the emergency brake wasn't illuminating but the service stability system light is not on so maybe it's a fuse or the wiring like you said but I don't know were to check to see if there is a short in the front of the car or what number fuse to check. Second the air bag light is on but the car has never been in a accident but the dash board does sit up about a inch from being flush with the wood grain as if some one forgot to push it down and lock it back in the groves??? I guess I will need help finding how to get to the abs ebcm wiring to see if its a short or check the fuse first which ever that may be? also the HAVAC door agitators were are they located? i will try to buy a repair manual in the future but thanks for all the help i need it. oh the the history codes no longer shows anymore since I reset it it shows the resent codes or no codes for the other ID codes

·
Registered
908 Posts
The EBCM is front left lower corner of engine compartment, under the air cleaner housing - near a bunch of brake lines.

The ABS fuses are under the back seat, in position #44 (50A) and #35 (10A).

Air bag fuse is #8 (10A), also under back seat. Probably not the problem, as only your side air bags set codes.

Inflatable Restraint Sensing & Diagnostic Module (SDM) is under the rear of the center console, mounted on the metal floor. The side impact air bags are on the outward side of each front seat - they are not in the dash board (those are the frontal crash air bags). Lots of wires under the seats to check.

Suggest you ignore the HVAC door actuator for now. Your ABS & Stability Control Systems don't work, and your side impact airbags are inoperative. And you've had some power-train problem (the SES light). It's like going to the emergency room with heart attack symptoms, you don't worry about a blister on your toe (lol).

I assume the SES went out when you cleared the History codes. If you still have a problem (you probably do), it will come back on. When it does, check your codes & post any new ones, including History.

If you still have the "smell", what does it smell like? Raw gas, exhaust fumes, burning rubber, rotten eggs, brake pads wearing in, sweet coolant on hot exhaust lines, or...?

Getting a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from Helm or eBay is a good idea. Or get a subscription to All-Data, as was suggested on another of your threads. Will easily pay for itself with this car. Good luck.

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok the fumes smell like exhaust trying to be release I also notice that the rightside of the tail pipes are chrome and the left is kinda black???

Next the SES light came bake on with these codes besides the ones I already gave before
IRC U1064 HISTORY
PCM P0410 CURRENT
can anyone help with theses codes thanks
Also I fount out why the car was shaking when I was driving over 60miles and it was the front driver side wheel bearings the right side was ok so now I have to learn how to take the old one off and put the new one on. and the tag light was fixed by the fuse being burnt thanks for that iam going to change the brakes and look to see if the wires are disconnected some were and check the fuse also to see if that will turn on the brake sign on on the center console.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You should learn to look up code definitions using the "how to pull codes" link from before. Listing the codes without the definition limits the help you'll get here because no one has memorized all these codes.

That said, it is the P0410 causing your SES light. It is a fault in the secondary air injection (AIR) pump system that puts more air in the exhaust during start-up to heat up the cat converter quicker to limit exhaust emissions. It will cause you to fail emissions testing if you have those where you live. But letting it go a while will not hurt anything else. You can do a search for threads on this problem in the forum to learn more.

The other code is a communications failure between modules - these cars get those & they come & go. Not worth worrying about at this point.

good luck with your various issues: wheel bearing, rusted brake lines, out-of commission ABS & Stability, etc. BTW, how many miles on your car?

·
Administrator
73,446 Posts
ok the fumes smell like exhaust trying to be release I also notice that the rightside of the tail pipes are chrome and the left is kinda black???
Our cars have phony duals - one exhaust pipe with a Y at the rear - both pipe tips should be about the same color..........

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey 70 cougar you had ask did all of this happen at once (Did all this stuff happen at once, with all these Stability System, Brake, and Air Bag warning lights coming on (I assume they are all on, even though you didn't mention any of them)? Or one at a time? If all at once, I am wondering about some common electrical cause....like a major wire connector becoming disconnected) yes it might have when I brought it you said it could be a wire disconnection where is that located at so I can check it out thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
Major wire disconnection? That might be it were is it located?
It's probably a long shot since you don't know if it all happened at once, but not a lot of work to look. So look around the EBCM to start (see above post for location); then follow major wire harnesses, looking for loose or disconnected or broken wires or connectors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts