Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefined
Hi over there, Sweden calling.
My friend owns a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with a northstar engine.
Service engine soon comes on all the time.
Could that have to do with the aternator?
When the engine is running on idle, the headlamps are "flashing", stronger and then weaker.
Looking forward fon an answer.

Rejsbo, Sweden.
:elvis1:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It could very well be the alternator. I believe the method for retriving codes differs on export cars, so some of the methods posted here might not work. Check the voltage at the battery with the car running. It should be around 14 volts. If it's not, the alternator is not charging. The alternator may be bad internally if it causes flashing. This is harder to diagnose though. Make sure all connections are tight on the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
(Sorry this was put in wrong thread)

I have a '93 Eldo, and the voltage is normally at 14.3 or so, however it started jumping up to 16.1 and giving me the same warning. there was a bad lead off teh alt that we replaced, i also had the alt checked and they said it was good but since it seems to be an intermittent problem i wonder if they would have found it. it ran fine for a week and then started doing the same thing, more frequently (3 times on the way to work this morning) is there anything else that could cause this besides the volt-reg, like a bad battery?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
mattakat