Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Seville 4.9 150k
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 150,000 miles, service engine (not check) light came on.
Car runs great, no drop in mpg. O2 sensors are 55,000 miles old.
Suggestions?
Thanks - got to be fairly simple

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
mine was to clean out the throttle body-- on my 1993 Seville

·
Registered
1993 Seville 4.9 150k
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the codes, but what came up doesn't match exactly with the code messages from the moderator.
I got P048, which I am assuming is the EGR valve. I followed the directions for the code program - did I get it right? That is the 048 in the code log on the forum from Dave.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,247 Posts
I pulled the codes, but what came up doesn't match exactly with the code messages from the moderator.
I got P048, which I am assuming is the EGR valve. I followed the directions for the code program - did I get it right? That is the 048 in the code log on the forum from Dave.
Very common. There are two EGR tubes in throttle body, under the blades. Clean them up with a coat hanger. Do not worry about the chunks of carbon falling down. It will most likely eliminate your E048 code and SES light.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Before you go cleaning tubes, pull up on the EGR diaphragm while the car is at idle (don't burn your fingers). You should be able to almost stall the engine by doing this. If not, the tubes are restricted. Either way there is a specific way to test the EGR system.
HUF could be right, but in my part of the country clogged tubes only occured Pre-1990 on the TBI cars.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Before you go cleaning tubes, pull up on the EGR diaphragm while the car is at idle (don't burn your fingers). You should be able to almost stall the engine by doing this. If not, the tubes are restricted. Either way there is a specific way to test the EGR system.
HUF could be right, but in my part of the country clogged tubes only occured Pre-1990 on the TBI cars.
I would clean the tubes regardless, cost very little and is easy to do, cant hurt either. Their could still be trouble with the egr valve or solenoid itself though, for which their is a specific chart to follow to isolate it. I kept getting the e48 code after cleanig the tubes, so I replaced all the vaccum lines around the throttle body and egr valve and it has yet to reappear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts