Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Eldorado ETC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my car for about 3 weeks now, and when I first got it everything was fine. About a week after I got it I WOT and took it to about 120mph then I got a "Service Charging System"

I figured it might've been the speed limiter so I backed off the gas and didn't really think nothing of it...

Later that night my battery died. After I replaced my battery I noticed it wasn't charging, so I figured it was the alternator- no problem, replace it.

Before I committed to having the alternator replaced I kept driving it to see if it really was not charging, so I brushed the terminals and put it back together. I noticed that the battery would charge a little bit, but would drop rapidly and not recharge if I turned on the headlights/ hold the brakes or turn on A/C. I decided to go ahead and replace the alternator and the serpentine belt (last week).

Today I punched it and at around 6k rpm I got the "service charging system"!!!

Are the high RPMs killing the alternators?

I've never had this happen in any of my other cars, just in my big beautiful cadillac.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts
Entirely possible that the car led a quiet life and was never driven like it is supposed to be driven. This one sounds like a diode in the alternator (voltage regulator) popped - and the rpm had nothing to do with it. Maybe, just maybe, the battery has a dead cell. Test the battery before throwing $$$ into alternators. AND DON'T USE DEAD ZONE ALTERNATORS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts