Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 2014 2.0 recently has had two issues pop up, first is I get a message on start up saying service brake assist. I have zero noticable driveability issues with the brakes and there is no warning light beyond that pop up message. The other issue is my car is under boosting, code P0229, first noticed this on the freeway when I went to pass someone and the car felt sluggish, took it to the auto shop who recently repaired my transmission thinking it was related but they scanned it and it showed the car wad under boosting. I haven't had the opportunity to get the car in for diagnosis, recently had some expensive work done and dreading having more, hoping someone might be able to shed some insight into possible causes to calm my $$$ fears. The car feels totally normal at lower speed still pulls quite hard but on the freeway is when I notice it, I dont thrash my car so unsure if I floored it at low speeds how it would respond. My car has 170k or so miles on it, I haven't noticed any roughness with the engine or fuel economy issues either.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,126 Posts
I believe the turbo control setup for the 2.0T depends upon the engine driven vacuum pump which also is used to develop vacuum for the brake booster. If so, look for a vacuum leak or a failing vacuum pump (or brake booster).

Rodger

Reactions: angel71rs

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the turbo control setup for the 2.0T depends upon the engine driven vacuum pump which also is used to develop vacuum for the brake booster. If so, look for a vacuum leak or a failing vacuum pump (or brake booster).

Rodger
Is this something I can test or diagnose on my own or should I just take it straight to a shop?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,126 Posts
One of the 2.0T owners can chime in, but as I recall the vacuum pump can cause collateral damage when it fails so it might be good to get it to a dealer to have that checked. Otherwise, check the vacuum lines, deterioration is most common where the hose connects to fittings and the fittings themselves (tee, elbows, multiport) are also failure areas.

Failure of the vacuum boost side of power brake systems used to be fairly common but I don't think that is nearly as common in "modern times" but worth a check.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
992 Posts
One of the 2.0T owners can chime in, but as I recall the vacuum pump can cause collateral damage when it fails so it might be good to get it to a dealer to have that checked. Otherwise, check the vacuum lines, deterioration is most common where the hose connects to fittings and the fittings themselves (tee, elbows, multiport) are also failure areas.

Failure of the vacuum boost side of power brake systems used to be fairly common but I don't think that is nearly as common in "modern times" but worth a check.

Rodger
If I'm not mistaken, the active motor mounts use vacuum and likely part of the same system, too.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to get it to a shop as soon as possible, but wanted to share some additional info. The service brake assist message I get is really intermittant. Its pops up periodically and then goes away for quite a while. It has only happened popped up once since I made this post so I cant imagine it's the vacuum pump failing as I would imagine that would be a consistent issue since its mechanical and not electrical. I am still babying my car though best I can till I can have it checked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts