Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody. I haven't posted on here in a while, but I ran into a little problem and thought you guys could help.

I got a car wash the other day, and ever since then whenever I start my car, my DIC says "Service Air Bag", and the red airbag light is on near the speedometer.

Why is this? How do I fix it?

I'm not under warranty anymore, and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a dealership to do nothing.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
There are airbag sensors in the front of the car. Maybe you got something wet. An inadvertant airbag deployment is like a serious explosion in your lap.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are a few dozen things that can turn on the air bag light.
Not many of them are common on CTS.
Since yours is an '03 if I had to take a guess I'd say if you have someone check codes they will find a side air bag circuit code.
For that I usually replace the side air bag harness that is in the seat for which the code set.
It is serviceable separately and I don't think they are too expensive.
You have to start by getting the code.

Incidentally, when the light comes on it doesn't mean that the bags can go off at any time, it means they might not work allowing you to be unprotected in the event of an impact.
The failsafe on these systems is "disabled" not "get me fixed or I'll blow up in your face whenever I feel like it".
:D

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
52 Posts
I had the same problem.. after about 3 or 4 days it wouldnt do it as much.. then after about a week and a half it stopped doing it.. no problems from it ever since

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
I just got that problem fixed on my 03. I also had the problem 6 months prior but the light went out and never thought much of it. It will come back though and stay on constantly. So the problem is your Air Bag Module and possibly the harness.....total cost with labor almost a Grand, YES $1000US:eek: .and my warranty doesn't cover safety repairs like air bag and the cats. So after I reminded the dealership about how much money I spend with them and the new cars i have bought in the past, they then dropped it to $100 and put the repair under some good faith dealer warranty.:thumbsup: Make sure your warranty covers the repair before they touch stuff

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
Ewill3rd,
I sound very knowledgeable about the CTS, can you tell me how difficult for a DIYER to change the timing belt on a 3.2 03 CTS, any special tools involved, I'm at 86K now I also have the service manual

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
rb, to be totally honest with you, I have never done one of those.
It is a carry over from the Catera and I really don't even work on that many.
I have done a few things to that engine but I have never even taken the timing cover off.
I am sure that somewhere on this site there is good info you can use and I am sure there are special tools involved. The FSM (factory service manual) would be a good place to start. Most special tools have an aftermarket equivalent that should work just fine, but you'll have to do some research.
I know those timing covers are hard to get off because of the way they bolt accessories on. I'd call that a pretty big job actually and not one you want to make a mistake on. That is an "interference" engine and if it is not timed properly it can cause some serious engine damage.

Best of luck to you though.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts