Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS, all black--261,000 miles
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the "Service Air Bag" msg out of the blue, and this code:

B0053 - Deployment Commanded with Loop Malfunctions Present

No other codes (except the MSM U1000-Class 2 Communication Malfunction I've been getting pretty regularly, like, forever), and I didn't bang into anything. Found only two threads here relating to it. Both cars showed numerous codes, and one had a lot of rust as if it had been in a flood. My car has none of these issues. Have never seen anything like this in the four years I've been driving it. Failing battery perhaps?

Is this airbag going to go off for no reason?

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Presuming DTC B1153 in '99 with the same "Deployment Commanded..." description is the same you should have other air-bag related DTCs as well as evidence of a frontal crash.

Absent anything that could be interpreted as a frontal crash, it would seem that the SDM (sensing-diagnostic module) located under the passenger seat is faulty.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
when it comes to airbag and seat belts and saftey equipment like that isn't that stuff lifetime warranty from GM or the manufacturer of the vehicle
i would think that if you take it to a dealer they would fix it without charge if so
but i just thought i read that somewhere a few months back
perhaps someone could chime in here on this

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Presuming DTC B1153 in '99 with the same "Deployment Commanded..." description is the same you should have other air-bag related DTCs as well as evidence of a frontal crash.

Absent anything that could be interpreted as a frontal crash, it would seem that the SDM (sensing-diagnostic module) located under the passenger seat is faulty.
DTC B1053 has the same description; and there are a number of related, more specific, codes around B0053, but I have none of them. For the time being, I'll chalk it up to Fukushima radiation, and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when it comes to airbag and seat belts and saftey equipment like that isn't that stuff lifetime warranty from GM or the manufacturer of the vehicle
i would think that if you take it to a dealer they would fix it without charge if so
but i just thought i read that somewhere a few months back
perhaps someone could chime in here on this
Well, now, there's a happy thought! I like the idea...can anybody verfiy this?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
i thout what i read was if it had to do with the item going bad and you did not do anything to cause it to go bad that its suposed to be under warranty due to federal trafice and road saftey guidlines

but i just read this from someone els who posted it here i think so maybe im wrong dont get your hopes to high but hope someone who knows for sure could chime in on this

Rippy might know since he deal with the parts all the time but it might be something that the service deparment doesnt tell him so he may not know but someone please chime in cause im curious to know if this is true also

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
yeah thats what i thought when i read it but
then when i read something further on i saw something about saftey fetures like seatbelts and airbags i thout i read something about them being warranty for life aslong as u did not do anyting to cause the damage
so if it blows in an acident or if you take it out and put it back in wrong
then it would be soemthing you would file an insruance claim on or just pay for yourself
but if its a failure part then i think its covered
but maybe thats not true
but it makes sence cause from wht i know is in the in Ohio atleast i thout it was all over the country but might just be Ohio
if your car had a air bag or a seat belt in it from the factory and it was standard not option
and if its not funtioning corectly or not in the car anymore it can not be sold as anything other then a salvage vehicle
so i thout that it might have been something that is covered but who knows just saying that i read it somewhere so its hersay only way to know for sure is if you contact GM or the Dealer to find out

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
********************I READ THE CODE WRONG!!***********************

Checked again today and found my eyes are worse than I thought. This is the code, for sure:

B0058 - Right Front/Passenger Pretensioner Deployment Loop Open

Mistaking a "8" for a "3" isn't that bad, is it? But at least this description is more specific and sounds a lot like a loose wire, to me, at least. What do you all think?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, sounds like a wiring problem or a sensor open circuit.
The pretensioner is in the seatbelt at the top of the seat, right? That's not going to go bad, is it? I should look for a connector issue or broken wire under the seat? I was under there recently to get a seat bolt nut to take into the store to get two more, after I found both missing from the driver's seat! Been that way since I bought it...how did I miss that for four years!

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
sometimes the pretensioner is in the buckle ... PM me your VIN and i'll check tomorrow

and pup i think you're remembering something wrong or mixing it up

safety related parts are not covered under any special warranty

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Here's the message that I get when looking up the pre-tensioner ...

(T/W means 'together with')

basically it is saying that there's no way to know if the updated belt design before you order the part
if your new pre-tensioner (buckle/latch side) doesn't fit your current retractor you will also have to buy a new retractor
you will know it doesn't fit because the latch plate (or tongue) doesn't lock (or fit) into the new buckle

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Three days ago I started the car and found the Air Bag message and telltale not present!, and it didn't return during a short drive. It was still not present when I started it the next day. I did about 15 mins of city driving before I got onto a stretch of bumby residential road, and that's when it popped on again, and came on again on the next ignition cycle that day. So I'm thinking what are the chances that this intermittant connection is in the belt set itself? And deciding not much chance. So I looked around under the passenger seat for wires and connectors. There aren't many, and when the seat moves everything underneath moves with it. I found the module, and when I snugged the connector to the module I heard a clicking sound! Could it be that easy?! So far (about three ignition cycles, and a little bumpy road driving) the B0058 has not returned!

Now this clicking sound was quieter and duller than what you hear when a connector lock, or retainer, engages; but it wasn't the motion of the module--that was tight. And I could feel the connector move ever so slightly, so I don't believe the clicking sound was plastic just creaking in response to my pressure. If the error does come back I'll try to remove the connector and spray it all up with some contact cleaner. It's a real bugger to get to, though. Might have to unbolt the seat cushion.

Has it been your experience, Chris, that these seat belt failures have been intermittant? Do you think it'll probably keep coming back?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i don't really recall intermittent problems with these... when they go they go for good usually

like Ranger said, I think you got lucky ... the connector could have been about 90% seated and the clip portion was almost past the locking gate

cross your fingers that it doesn't come back, i guess

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i don't really recall intermittent problems with these... when they go they go for good usually

like Ranger said, I think you got lucky ... the connector could have been about 90% seated and the clip portion was almost past the locking gate

cross your fingers that it doesn't come back, i guess
Thanks for that info, Chris. I'll take "lucky". I'll come back here with an update if my luck doesn't hold.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
cool

i had an intermittent service airbag message that i fixed by moving the seat position through it's full range of motion and pulling the seat belt out all the way a couple times

weird stuff

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it's been about six weeks without a peep from the Air Bag telltale--until a couple of days ago. It popped on after entering the expressway aggressively, as usual. I got off the e-way a few minutes later onto a two lane highway. A few minutes later it popped off. It popped on and off a couple more times in the next hour. When I stopped I jiggled some wires under the passenger seat, and tried to snug up the ones going to the module under there, but it didn't help. The telltale was off when I parked yesterday; this morning it was on when I started it. During the drive it popped off. After a couple hours worth of driving and a half dozen ignition cycles it's still off.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it. But I said I'd update here if my luck didn't hold, and so I have.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it's off again, after having been always on for about the past two months!? Has been for the last 10 days or so (a couple dozen ignition cycles), since taking my mom back to her house a couple hundred miles away. It happened pretty early in the trip, though I can't say exactly when. I know she didn't operate the seat controls; but she did "play" with the seatbelt (like, all the way out, then all the way back in). There's another wrinkle: my GF was in the backseat right behind her. And I found out later that she wasn't happy with the amount of legroom that she had; so maybe she pushed her feet underneath the front seat at some point.

Anyway, between the two of them they seemed to have fixed it--for now. :hide:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts