Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming that I am low on R-12. That being said, can mechanics still get it? Or is it cheaper in the long run to switch to 134a? I would think it makes sense to put what was in it originally to not muck up the works.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yes, it is possible to keep the system running on R12, it's just not always easy to find shops that will work with it, and it's expensive.

Before you worry about that though, you need to pull the codes and make sure low refrigerant is the issue. If it is, you need to find and repair the leak.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
yeah r12 is the $}{!+. so cold. def try to keep it R12, a retrofitted system will never be as good as the original R12. Usually only one or two shops in town can get it, but its worth it.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
I bought 50 pounds in 100 pound size bottle of virgin R-12 so I'm good for life! Sort of a pain because I had to get EPA certified just to buy it. Paid $10.00 a pound
Bought it from a guy who lived in a swanky nudist camp. But that's another story! Heh...Heh..................

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Yeah, my service A/C light was (is) on as well. I thought it was low on refrigerant... tried to recharge, but it says it is full... still no a/c. Mine has been converted to R134a already.

I never did figure out what is wrong with mine. I cannot figure out any codes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Yeah, my service A/C light was (is) on as well. I thought it was low on refrigerant... tried to recharge, but it says it is full... still no a/c. Mine has been converted to R134a already.

I never did figure out what is wrong with mine. I cannot figure out any codes.

Good luck!
was there ever dye in the system? if so you can probably trace the leak =D

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
was there ever dye in the system? if so you can probably trace the leak =D
Yeah, according to the sticker under the hood there was (back in 2010) dye put in the system. I had bought one of those cans of R134a with the gauge on it. It shows the system is full, but the compressor will not kick on and that service A/C light turns on and it goes back to economy on its own. It actually knocked me out of a sale. A guy was ready to buy it until he seen where I had put the A/C was not working. :(

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
The gauges on those cans are rather useless. You need an A/C manifold set.

If you have a "SERVICE A/C" message, you have a DTC stored.
If it reverts to ECON, it is probably low on refrigerant.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood 75
345 Posts
Recover the R12 and open up the orifice joint probably it is full of crap and clogged the filter. Install a new orifice and you can put an inline liquid filter before orifice to help keep clean do a vacuum and recharge with your recovered R12.
It sound like a plugged orifice filter and low side temp goes down too fast. at -2C compressor turns off then goes back to 10C and starts again. if to fast drop causes fault just like a low charge then ECM goes to econ to protect compressor.
Use your on board diagnostic go to BCM diagnostics and check Low side temp parameter and watch the temp swing on the low side if it drops fast probably plugged orifice.
also confirm radiator fans are turning on during AC operation or it will cause problems as well.
Also if your system has the quick connects as on the gauge above then the system is not an R12 it has been converted. if it has the screw on connectors then it is still R12. Do not mix R12 manifolds with R134 or you get contamination
R134 does not like mineral oil.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts