1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serpentine or accessories belt and tensionner replacement

Big job?
What is the normal maintenance routine for replacement?

My tensionner has always had an annoying squeek but I lived with it... but the Cat is now up to 163 000km... and I have some free time coming up.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
I removed the two air tubes that run from the throttle body to the breather box. Better for visability and room to work. It just takes a flat blade screwdriver. The tensioner is 15mm. I used a breaker bar and the socket releasing the tension in a clockwise rotation. Then pull the belt off. You can loosen the nut easily by going counter clockwise. Pull off the old pulley, slap on the new one and tighten it. No big deal there. Really if you where just going to change the tensioner you could do so without removing the air tubes or the belt completely.

On the passengar's side you will see a bracket that secures the air tube that runs across the front of the engine. You will have to remove this bolt. I have no idea on the size as mine was already broke off. Now on the driver's side you will see a similar type bracket. This holds one AC line. I believe it was a 10mm nut that held this. There is another thing that secures the other side of the air tube. You will need an E10 torx head socket to remove this bolt. It faces down at an angle. Not alot of room so break it off with the ratchet and undo it the rest of the way by hand or at least that is what I did. I can not remember but it seems like I had to remove one of the rubber hoses down in this area too. If so you will know when looking at it. With these types of clips and the location it would probably be better to use needle nose pliers/or/ vise grips if you can get them in there.

Not a hard job. Took me about 30-40 minutes. I was drinking some Coronas while doing it so that may have added some time. I know that is why I can not remember whether or not to remove the rubber hose.:)

I guess I should add that mine was squeeking to. It ended up being the AC clutch bearing, although, tensioners make the same sound. My AC bearing took on a completely different sound after a day or two from changing the tensioner. Probably is just the tensioner though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts