Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had this battery that was in need of replacement. After i got a new battery, i had it installed and after that was done my AC turned on automatically, possibly because the computer had been reset, but anyways this really nasty smeel was coming from the vents and it has left a fish like smell in my car.

and since the new battery i am still having the same problem turning on the engine. It doesnt turn on right away, i have to keep turning the key.

on another note, i was told that i have a spark plug that is misfiring that needs to be replaced and im going to get that right away, but does anybody know if maybe that misfiring can be the reason for the engine not turning.

please help out, i would really appreciate it

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
95sts89 said:
so i had this battery that was in need of replacement. After i got a new battery, i had it installed and after that was done my AC turned on automatically, possibly because the computer had been reset, but anyways this really nasty smeel was coming from the vents and it has left a fish like smell in my car.

and since the new battery i am still having the same problem turning on the engine. It doesnt turn on right away, i have to keep turning the key.

on another note, i was told that i have a spark plug that is misfiring that needs to be replaced and im going to get that right away, but does anybody know if maybe that misfiring can be the reason for the engine not turning.

please help out, i would really appreciate it
The smelly ventilation system is probably a bunch of crap built up on the condenser coil. If it hasn't been used for a while and water is allowed to stagnate in there, it will stink. You can run the air and hope for the best, or there are products you can buy at some auto parts places that you spray or pour into the outside air intake that will help kill off the mold/mildew/whatever that's living in that area. Outside of that, replacement of the coil is a possibility if it's very bad and nothing makes it better, but that's kind of an expensive option.

As for the starting problem, your post is not very clear. When you turn the key, the starter doesn't crank over at all, or it cranks but doesn't start? That's an important distinction. If it doesn't crank at all, the battery won't fix that unless the terminals are corroded. I would assume the terminals were checked when the battery was replaced. It could be caused by a number of things such as a bad starter, loose wiring connection to the starter, an intermittent relay problem, wiring at the relay block or PCM, the ignition switch, an interlock switch, and the list goes on. Tell us whether it doesn't crank at all or just cranks but doesn't start and we can help you further.

If you have a bad plug, replace them all with AC-Delco 41-950 plugs and AC-Delco 748J wire set. It will cost about $175 for the parts, but those are what GM tested the engine with and they are known to work well. Anything else is a big unknown and people have had problems, especially with Bosch parts. Bosch plugs = garbage. Have you had the fuel rail recall work done on your car yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^i already took my car in for the fuel rail

but i guess i wasnt really clear before, my starter does crank over, but the problem is that the engine wont tunr on right away. i have to keep turning the ignition untill it finally turns on.

please get back at me with this ASAP, im ****ing dying here

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
Put a fuel pressure guage on the schreader valve which is located on the fuel rail. Turn the key on and see what kind of pressure you have. Then see what it does while cranking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts