Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the caps in the subject but I have encountered a serious issue that I need help with.

I just came from Firestone where I purchased a set of four Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's. So far they are fine. However, when I started my car up, it was running extremely rough. I thought it was wierd, but I expected it to go away once I got going.

Well it didn't. While I was on the freeway, the frikin' "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light started to blink, then went steady! Oh... needless to say I got a little pissed. When I got home, I looked under the hood and didn't notice any major issues that I could see. There is not a coolant leak and the radiator looks intact. It is still running rough.

While I was at Firestone, they told me that two of my rear lights were out (which I knew) and that they would change them. I said okay. They changed them okay, but now on the othe side one of my taillamp lights comes on slowly and goes out slowly and the frikin' car is ridin' rough!

Could those Firestone idiots have done something like putting an additive in my tank that would make my Jetillac run rough? I need to know soon.

Thanks in advance.

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
If the SES (Service Engine Soon) light is on, you need to check the error codes and let us know what they say.

Willy Spenser on Caddyinfo.com said:
With the ignition key on, running or not makes no difference, press the on/off and info^(info/up) buttons for the DIC at the same time for about 2-3 seconds and release. It should then be itn the DTC check mode. Use the on/off button to select,when it
lists a question,i.e CODES?...,press on/off button to select that. The codes for each system will now appear if there are any. Otherwise it will say NO RSS, NO PCM,ETC... Use the reset info button to return or go back to the previous selection. When it asks you CLEAR CODES?...press the on/off button to clear them IF YOU WANT THEM CLEARED, if no, press reset info repeatedly until you exit. You can also exit by turning the ignition switch off.
This should work on '98 and up Sevilles.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If it ran fine before you took it to firestone and now it doesnt, that sounds fishy.... it could also be a very unfortunate coincedence......

They would have had to mes with something under the hood.... And if so, why would they get under the hood for tires???

Check your codes and tell us what the deal is!!!!!! Kinda sounds like a MAF or a cylinder misfiring.....

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Before we all get on the "...ever since you..." bandwagon, let's see what codes the DIC gives up. This kind of thing tends to gather steam like chum gathers sharks. It's not fair to always "assume" the mechanics did something to cause the CEL.
Jetillac,
Whether the CEL is on or not, the computer should yield some info about what caused the light and probably what caused the poor running. Like Sandman said, post whatever codes you extract and we'll help you figure out what the problem is, and what to do about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the codes:

No ABS Codes
AMP - U1255 HISTORY
AMP - U1064 HISTORY
AMP - U1128 HISTORY
No DDM Codes
No DIM Codes
No IPC Codes
IPM - B1344 HISTORY
No IRC Codes
PCM - P0300 CURRENT
PCM - P1381 HISTORY
No RFA Codes
No RIM Codes
No SDM Codes
No VTD Codes
No MSM Codes
No TTM Codes
No RSS Codes

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jetillac said:
Here are the codes:

No ABS Codes
AMP - U1255 HISTORY
AMP - U1064 HISTORY
AMP - U1128 HISTORY
No DDM Codes
No DIM Codes
No IPC Codes
IPM - B1344 HISTORY
No IRC Codes
PCM - P0300 CURRENT
PCM - P1381 HISTORY
No RFA Codes
No RIM Codes
No SDM Codes
No VTD Codes
No MSM Codes
No TTM Codes
No RSS Codes
Ill start with the IPM

B1344 = HeaterDefrost/AC Door Movement Fault
This means the vents that close to prevent unwanted air entering the system is either moving improperly or does not move at all.

U1255 = Serial Data Line Malfunction
U1064 = Loss of Communications with DIM
U1128 = Loss of Communications with IRC
When they were under the hood, they prolly knocked some connectors loose!

P0300 CURRENT = ENGINE MISFIRE DETECTED
P1381 = Misfire Detected - No Communication with Brake Control Module

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info 2d.

So it is obviously I have a few problems, but how can I correct them. I want to be a mechanic, but I do not have any experience. Can someone help me some more.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jetillac said:
Thanks for the info 2d.

So it is obviously I have a few problems, but how can I correct them. I want to be a mechanic, but I do not have any experience. Can someone help me some more.

Thanks.
This obviously sounds now like a job for an experienced Northstar technician...

I hate paying the premium, but I take my STS to the dealership (just got her serviced yesterday, & she's running like a swiss watch).

They know the Northstar inside & out, & a good dealership is usually careful with your baby, like I asked them to be with mine :D

IMO, you should take it to a dealer before you F it up trying to fix things yourself.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Clear your codes and then drive for a little while and see what comes up as current.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cleared them this morning, but I was fearful of driving so I made my little brother take me to work. Now I have to wait on a ride from a co-worker :annoyed: so I can get home and tend to my baby!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ok.... let us know what happens..... Just take it for a quick spin around the block......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... Everything is runing fine! Took it around the block... ran it on the freeway... and it is all good! :bouncy: It is not idling rough at all.

Oh... and the new tires are nice too.

Could the issue have been something under the hood getting wet? Maybe something electrical? It was raining pretty good here, but I've been in worse.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
It could have been sorta flukey...... A wet coil would have done that!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the help and :grouphug: (teamwork - NOT grouphug) and also the quick responses. I drove the Jetillac to work today and at lunch and no problems. I have 92,000 miles on her, so it is about time to get a tune up. Should I get the Bosch Platinum 4's or is that not really going to help much?

I'll search for an answer on that spark plug issue.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Use only ACdelco plugs..... And follow it up with some fresh wires.......!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jetillac said:
Thanks for the info 2d.

...I want to be a mechanic, but I do not have any experience. Can someone help ...
This caught my eye.

One of the first steps to begin your career or hobby would be to buy a Factory Service manual for your car and spend a few nights browsing throught it. Once it starts making sense you'll be able to begin working on your car.

A cheaper alternative is to go to your local library and look at it. Even xerox a copy of the pages that might apply to your problem.

Check www.helminc.com for ordering info. Also, call FAXON, 800 458-2734, they might have them as well (and cheaper).

Good luck! Oh, glad to hear your problem cleared up on its own. My STS is like that. I get a message or a few codes etc. now and then. Normally, the next time I turn off the key, then re-start the car all the problems go away.

..rickko..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
Jetillac