Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In alot of the old car adds that I'm looking at they say 60 series caddy.. or 62 series caddy etc.. even though they are the same years.. Some also say "flat top" etc.. etc..

I was wondering if anyone on here could give a definitive description of all the different series, and odd ball terminologys (flat top?) I'm aware it has to do with roof line, that somebody new to the scene (like myself) wouldn't be aware of..

Would sure make it easier to buy an old Caddy if in fact I knew what was what. I was hoping to read about it in the "history of cadillac" thread in the lounge, but it seems to be newer stuff.

RD

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i'm not to sure on the 60 or 62 series. however a "flat top" is a term describing the old engines. the top oh the head is flat giving that name. you can have a flat head 8 or 6. they have a great sound and were pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
that's a flat head - ie: sidevalve. Really ancient engine type, crappy flow. The valves are in the engine block and the cylinder head itself is, well, flat.

I think you mean hardtop - that's where there is no "B" pillar. When you roll the windows all down it os completley open on the side. Awesome, almost like a convertible...

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hi,

Series 62 was a model made many years ago - - maybe 1940's (?) through 1964. Calais replaced the Series 62 in 1965 through 1976. At the end of the series the 62 was an entry level Cadillac.

Flat top, if I recall this correctly is a roof style made in 1959 and 1960 and possibly in 1961. Like the 6-window models of the same vintage, it is also a hard top without the "B" pillar yet the flat top model had a wrap around rear window and a flat roof compared to the sloping roof of the 6-window sedans and Coupes. Flat top models were in the deVille and Series 62 Series only.

Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hi,

Series 60 was a model series made in the 1930's through 1970. The most famous 60 is the 60-Special which was an owner/driver car that was built on the large Fleetwood chassis but had smaller coachwork with unique body styling, carried through the 1990's, and was intended to be driven primarily by owner/drivers unlike the typical Fleetwood which was intended to have a chauffeur, such as the Fleetwood Town Car, etc. Cadillac cars were at one time truly the prestige car marque and the Fleetwood series was the ultimate. The 60 series was the beginning of the down marketing of the prestigious Fleetwood to the masses. Cadillac wanted volume and the more people driving Cadillacs meant more profits. This also cheapened the brand and led to the gradual decline that lost Cadillac the "Standard of the World" title and also led to the advancement of import brands that were actually finely engineered and appreciated for the quality they had that Cadillac had lost.

Dave

·
Registered
81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8
230 Posts
BluEyes said:
that's a flat head - ie: sidevalve. Really ancient engine type, crappy flow. The valves are in the engine block and the cylinder head itself is, well, flat.

I think you mean hardtop - that's where there is no "B" pillar. When you roll the windows all down it os completley open on the side. Awesome, almost like a convertible...
The flat head was a Ford engine as far as I know no one else had that style of motor. If flat top was refering to the engine, it would be flat top pistions. No endention for the valves, completely flat, popular for NOS engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The deal I was referring to was referring to a style of roofline that I guess Cadillac made in some limited #'s.

Incidentally, I found a pretty cool website if your a caddy fan.. It pretty much explains everything. You pick a year Caddy, then read the general overview about it.. Then beneath that you can pick model, and it'll show you each different model.. Options, how much each one costs etc.. etc..

If your interested.

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/

RD

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
LaneWvr said:
The flat head was a Ford engine as far as I know no one else had that style of motor.
Many, many companies made flathead motors back in the day. Talking 30's, 20's and earlier here. I believe even Cadillac did at one point. A flathead is also referred to as an L-head motor or sidevalve. Basically, it is easier to cast the parts for the engine, so it was done because of a lack of technology despite the terrible effeciency. As casting techniques have improved, flatheads have virtually disappeared, but I think alot of Briggs and Stratton motors are still sidevalve setups.

That 'site there is great, lots of neat pictures too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts