Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month or so ago, I wrote about a transmission problem where it popped out of 6th gear. Warranty was about to expire, and I took the car to Capital Cadillac here in Salem, OR. I disclosed that I had an aftermarket shifter, which perhaps was a tactical mistake. At first, the dealer said that they could not rule out damage caused by the UUC shifter, saying that they had contacted a GM tech source who said that these problems were almost always caused by aftermarket shifters. This was despite my efforts to convince them that the gear shift "stops" in a T56 are internal. The dealer wanted to compare a stock shifter, which I didn't have anymore.
Thanks to TPIS, I was able to borrow a stock shifter, which clearly demonstrates to anyone that the UUC shifter geometry. is only slightly modified vs. the stock.
In response, the dealer has done a warranty repair to the transmisison without formally agreeing that an aftermarket shifter cannot affect transmission internals. The dealer has been supportive and reasonable.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,004 Posts
I'm glad for you, and good for the dealer!

There's no way on earth that an aftermarket shifter can negatively affect a transmission all things (e.g. clutch action and the like) being equal. I'm glad you hung in there with that dealer on your own behalf. :highfive:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
82 Posts
Hey Rey! Glad to hear you finally got somebody to be reasonable. We oldtimers should get a break now and then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts