Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while changing the tie rod in my SLS I noticed 2 connectors behind the rotor. One of these had a another connector attached to it I assume to complete a circuit. I am thinking it could be for brake pad wear indicator but not for certain of that. If anyone knows what this might be please chime in.
There was another connector right next to that one. This one did not have anything connected to it but did have 'something' plugged into it but definatly not a connector plug.

When swapping out shocks with the Monroe setups with the resistors where do those resistors get installed? Could they be installed in the second connector that I mentioned above?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
So while changing the tie rod in my SLS I noticed 2 connectors behind the rotor. One of these had a another connector attached to it I assume to complete a circuit. I am thinking it could be for brake pad wear indicator but not for certain of that. If anyone knows what this might be please chime in.
There was another connector right next to that one. This one did not have anything connected to it but did have 'something' plugged into it but definatly not a connector plug.

When swapping out shocks with the Monroe setups with the resistors where do those resistors get installed? Could they be installed in the second connector that I mentioned above?
==============================
the only electrical connectors near the front brakes I can think of would be
electronic brake pad wear sensors -
speed sensor in the hub -
active suspension plug -

there might be one other on the right front -
possibly for the NAV radio speed sensor -

When swapping out shocks with the Monroe setups with the resistors
where do those resistors get installed?

I doubt your 02 SLS has the F45 active suspension system -
your car has the passive suspension -
so - you won't need resistors -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,791 Posts
One of these had a another connector attached to it I assume to complete a circuit. I am thinking it could be for brake pad wear indicator but not for certain of that. If anyone knows what this might be please chime in.
There was another connector right next to that one.
That was probably the wheel speed sensor.

This one did not have anything connected to it but did have 'something' plugged into it but definatly not a connector plug.
That sounds like a brake wear indicator bypass.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe mine has the FE1, does that sound right? The ride currently is fine and no need for any changes that way. I was just trying to figure out what the 'non connected' connectors are for. I should have taken a picture of them but I left my cell phone at work today. In a hurry to get out to working on the car.
Next weekend I will be changing out the blower motor. Currently I have to pursuade it by tapping the passenger side kick panel under the glove compartment to get it to work.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
FE1 is the soft ride suspension option, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have F45. Some years of SLS were available with FE1 AND F45.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I see F45 in my RPO codes?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
If you have it, yes. If you don't, it won't be there. There is no RPO code for passive.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Should I see F45 in my RPO codes?
===================
you can - it's fast - easy - and free -
but you don't have F45 suspension -

---------------------

Next weekend I will be changing out the blower motor.
Currently I have to pursuade it
by tapping the passenger side kick panel
under the glove compartment to get it to work.

Hmmmmmmmmmm -
the blower probably IS worn out - but -
you might check the ground block -
hidden behind the passenger side kick panel -

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks - it is not listed on the RPO listing.

A few weeks back I removed the kick panel to find this ground block that you are speaking of and I couldn't ID it. I fiddled with the blower motor connector and the fan started. This happened a couple of times so just possibly could be that connection but I bought the blower motor just in case.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,791 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the same blower problem on my daughters '04 SLS. Ground was fine (it rarely is a problem). Pulled the motor and disassembled it. It was absolutely filthy with brush dust. Blew it out and lubed the bushings. It ran fine and I thought I had dodged a bullet. Not so, before long it was acting up again. The moral of the story is, when it starts getting intermittent, just replace the motor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I have seen your similar posts regarding this - thus the reason I bought the new blower motor. I got this one from Amazon for $46.51 and free shipping as I am a Prime member. I have been buying auto parts more and more with Amazon. Pricing is comparable with Rock Auto but free shipping seals the deal for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I changed out my sway bar links, so while I had the wheels off I took some pictures of the connecter with something plugged into the terminals and electrical tape over it. The other connecter I had mentioned does go to the wheel hub assembly. But what would you guys make of this: CAM00414.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Here is what was left of the drivers side sway bar link - it was broken for quite some time:

CAM00410a1.jpg

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Looks like someone looped the wires for the pad wear sensors to stop the CHANGE BRAKE PADS message. The sensors are sacrificial. Good either have to replace all worn down/cut ones to restore function to the pad wear warning system, or just leave them as is and live without it. If you do normal periodic inspections, it's unnecessary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MC. Last weekend I had the alignment done and they gave a report of brake pad condition and wear, 20% in front and 15% on the rears. I will just leave them for now until I have to change them. Then I will do them correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts