Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another nephew has just completed basic training in Maryland and will be graduating in a couple of weeks. He will be joining the thousands who protect our maritime borders and help rescue the lost. United States Coast Guard was formed in 1790 by Alexander Hamilton.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,711 Posts
For sure. But I don't think he'll be able to reel that chopper in. Does he catch and release?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
catch and release is a term not in CG vocabulary. For that matter, not in my south Alabama vocabulary. If you could catch it, snare it, shoot it--it was dinner.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
catch and release is a term not in CG vocabulary. For that matter, not in my south Alabama vocabulary. If you could catch it, snare it, shoot it--it was dinner.
So basically, you're saying if we're impressed by his balls, wait 'till we see the teeth?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,053 Posts
I've done the USCG/USN helicopter transfers over a dozen times. Exhilarating.

We all had fun in the various services.

Emergency surface.jpg

There are two types of ships - submarines and targets. This is a Mk.48 torpedo launch at a decommissioned old destroyer from the U.S. Reserve Fleet.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool video. The first Coastie nephew says that helicopter transfers are a thrill but sometimes the pitching sea and the rotor wash shrivels his pod a little. He prefers to stay on the boat. the fast boats they use for drug & human traffic patrols have these trick seats. They look like captains chairs/barstools but on the left arm rest is a pump--you pump it up to match your own body weight, lock it, and no matter how rough or choppy it gets the seat maintains stable position. I got to sit in one last time we saw him. Sadly, they would not let me play with the 50 cal guns mounted out front on port & starboard.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Sadly, they would not let me play with the 50 cal guns mounted out front on port & starboard.
Did you get to fire the stern guns?

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,488 Posts
Cool pics. I hope the Danish version is ready tomorrow. Planned to sail 110 nm during some shallow waters and a bit windy.

Bringing my new (old) ship to its new home port.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Question to Submariner (do I remember correctly you had a workshop for marine engines?).

Volvo Penta KAD43 driven only a few hours in idle this season, just got new diesel and air filters. (680 hours in total).

First time when the revs comes up to 2700 rpms on both engines and superchargers go out I continue to throttle up to 2800 rpms, then revs falls back and supercharger kicks in on portside engine.

Leave it there for a minute.

Then the starboard engine is throttled up to 3000 rpms and the portside up to 2800. After one minute or so - portside comes along and cruise very nicely at 3000 for hours.

Temp, oil pressure, etc. just perfect. Cruise at 25 knots just like normal so each engine pulls as it is supposed to.

Docks to fuel after some hours and empty SW filters in coolers (nothing there). Sea and current just against us. Power up - and both engines goes to 3200 rpms without a thing.

I lower starbord engine down below 3000 rpm and let portside pull the boat. No problems.

Do you think it was soot in the exhaust side of turbo which is now gone? Maybe air in diesel filter.
I do not suspect air leakage.

Engines run super nice and has always had changed oil and filters before service intervals.

Boat weighs 7 tons.

My immediate action would be to inspect turbocharger. Maybe blades are worn at tips???

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,053 Posts
Waterborne turbodiesels and I are from different planets. My main experience is in the Oldsmobile/GM big block and 350 gasoline marine units.

Synchronizer problems? I skippered a 48' Jarvis Newman twin Cat diesel lobster boat and was always unhappy with the lag times of the slave engine.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks Submariner and sorry for stealing the thread.

Thumbs up for all you out at sea

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Proud day around the Byrdhouse. Just watched a live stream from Cape May of the graduation of Coast Guard class Yankee-198. Our nephew went in as a 19 year old kid and came out a 20 year old man. He will be stationed at Virginia Beach, VA.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks Submariner and sorry for stealing the thread.

Thumbs up for all you out at sea
Turbo was good. But soot in the system. These Penta diesels need a good run above 3000 rpms now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
I got to do the horse collar transfer from a DDG to a Sikorsky SH-3. Once aboard, two things got my attention. First it was like being in a paint shaker. The whole machine was oscillating a noticeable amount. Second, any mounted equipment within an inch of something else had made marks where they had been rubbing against each other. I can only imagine what the oscillation was like during that event. Helicopters; too many moving parts.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got to do the horse collar transfer from a DDG to a Sikorsky SH-3. Once aboard, two things got my attention. First it was like being in a paint shaker. The whole machine was oscillating a noticeable amount. Second, any mounted equipment within an inch of something else had made marks where they had been rubbing against each other. I can only imagine what the oscillation was like during that event. Helicopters; too many moving parts.
I agree, too many moving parts and if one fails you have what they call an "unacceptable sink rate". that said, the fact that we have these folks to do what they do is a comfort to our borders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts