Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
self opening fuel door

Well, bought a 97 deville and for a month all was well. Then the abs and traction control lights came on, and kept getting a loss of power...ended up going to the dealer, they replaced the traction module, abs module, abs pump, and found a spark plug wire for the loss of power. Ok, so all was fine up til now (a whole 2 weeks and 3500 bucks later) now another issue came up.

Come the first sub 90 degree days (it was about 50 in the am) she was slow to start and the service engine soon light was on, manual said it was an emmissions system and not fatal. Then, I thought someone was trying to syphon my gas, the fuel door was always open when I came outside. So this morning I go to start and she didn't want to start the first crank, the second she turned on, I looked in the rear view, and the fuel door had opened on either the first or second crank, and the service engine light was back on.

Now, I can barely service a lawn mower, much less a cadi so doing it myself is out of the question, however if anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me how much it might run me that'd be great.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
I almost hate to suggest this, because if it is the problem, then the big bicks you spent will have been for nothing (but lining the dealers pockets anyway).

Have you checked the battery? I would pull it and have it tested by a auto parts store under load.

My mom has a 97 and when her battery went (and the alternator too, I might add) it exhibited all kinds of strange behavior. It seems that when the battery voltage drops below 12.1 or so volts, that the on board electronics just get stupid.

In the case of my mom's car, the following happened:

1. Trunk released for no apparent reason. (no buttons pressed)
2. DIC message - "SERVICE STEERING SYSTEM"
3. DIC message - "SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM"
4. Car took 2 ro 3 tries to start.
5. ABS malfunction indication on cluster
6. intermittent chimes (probably due to falsely triggered error messages above)

It seems that the cars have gotten too complicated for their own good in that with a slightly low operating voltage, the computers just can't keep things straight.

What is even more stupid is that the car never indicated low operating voltage - I guess it was just above the threshold.

I have now come to a point where when a car starts to exhibit random [seemingly] unrelated malfunctions, I always suspect the battery/alternator first. In 4 out of 4 such cases I've dealt with recently, I was right on the money, and saved a lot of it to by not "easter-egging" parts hoping to find a bad module.

Best of luck,

KDirk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does seem like the weak start could be the battery, the other stuff had really obvious effects and had to be done unfortunately.

I'll swing by somewhere on the way home and have em test it for me.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
AT_DT:

Glad to hear (I guess - man that was still a lot of money even if it had to be done) that the modules/etc. that were repalced were done for other reasons. Obviously, I was replying based on the limited set of symptoms you outlined and I have seen any number of Cadillacs present false malfunction codes/indicators due only to a weak battery.

Thinking about it now, my Brother's 99 Deville went thru a period of popping the gas door on its own, right before he had to replace his battery, so I am really inlcined to believe that you are going to find a charging system problem of some sort.

KDirk

·
Registered
98 Concours
153 Posts
My Uncles 98 Deville had the same problems with the gas door opening, turned out to be a bad battery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts