Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hear what I assume is the self levelling suspension compressor running for about 2 seconds every time I get in my car in the morning.
Is this normal?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It's supposed to do that, it's a self check to make sure everything is okay.
It should run for several seconds and then shut off.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Yes, what he said. It actually recycles the air (for what purpose I don't know, but the manual explains it - something about the rubber boots on the shocks or something) and maintains a minimum pressure in the lines.

Jim

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phew!

That's ok then, I just wondered if it was leaking out or something.
I figured it would be expensive to replace.

Thanks for the reassurance guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreeing with all the above.. It is normal to hear an air release after a small whining noise usually lasting about 4-5 seconds! If you check your manual.it is the active suspension "checking itself" for leaks...kind of a ccol feature I think!!

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
It cycles the air to keep it dry by running it through the drier to remove moisture. The reason for the minimum pressure in the lines, is probably just to prevent the car from sagging to much while sitting, which can cause excessive wear on the rubber boots around the shocks. This results in cracking, and leaking.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
mine can run for several minutes no codes no problems could it be cuz of my system in the trunk?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe have I too a levelling suspension in MY CAR ? :tisk:
Subject: Eldorado - grrrrrununt for 1 second like a shift bad engaged

I own an Eldorado TC '94 145k running in Italy as a great car;
here we have not a dealer to contact for problems because Cadillac is not present into the country
but all is going on as an hobby for lovers of USA car.
In ten years I got few mistakes but the problem could be the electronic faults groving up.
1. "service engine soon" rises up when I decrease the speed to 20 mph. The user manual tell me to control
exhaust system, there are no truble codes on OBD regarding exhaust system but only
S013 S018 S023 S028 S038 P056 P071 as history.
2. when I do a cold start, BTW, every time I start from an ignition off, after a 5 yards toward or backward
there is a vibration with a grrrrrununt for 1 second like a shift bad engaged but after anything goes perfectly.
The garage man, specialized in AT, says to wait for a large broken event before to fix:KISS, he doesn't know how to do.
Sombody may help me to fix the problem ?

Corrado Dr. Lama
E-mail [email protected]
Ravenna (I)

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Corrado said:
Maybe have I too a levelling suspension in MY CAR ? :tisk:
Subject: Eldorado - grrrrrununt for 1 second like a shift bad engaged

I own an Eldorado TC '94 145k running in Italy as a great car;
here we have not a dealer to contact for problems because Cadillac is not present into the country
but all is going on as an hobby for lovers of USA car.
In ten years I got few mistakes but the problem could be the electronic faults groving up.
1. "service engine soon" rises up when I decrease the speed to 20 mph. The user manual tell me to control
exhaust system, there are no truble codes on OBD regarding exhaust system but only
S013 S018 S023 S028 S038 P056 P071 as history.
2. when I do a cold start, BTW, every time I start from an ignition off, after a 5 yards toward or backward
there is a vibration with a grrrrrununt for 1 second like a shift bad engaged but after anything goes perfectly.
The garage man, specialized in AT, says to wait for a large broken event before to fix:KISS, he doesn't know how to do.
Sombody may help me to fix the problem ?

Corrado Dr. Lama
E-mail [email protected]
Ravenna (I)
I think the grunt you're experiencing is the ABS pump cycling as a self check. My car does the same. I'm not really worried about it because I think it is normal as well.

This is what your codes mean;

S013-----LF Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
S018-----RF Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
S023-----LR Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
S028-----RR Damper Solenoid Short Across Load

Did you by any chance connect the two wires together that go to each OEM shock and strut? Because that's what will cause those four codes to come up.

P056-----Transaxle input speed sensor circut problem
P071-----Intermittant Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor

Ohh yeah almost forgot. :welcome: :wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
People listening to this noise think bad about Cadillac and I don't like it:
I want to fix the problem.
I put away the abs-fuse and the noise stopped but I got without abs service system: than, HAVE I TO replace abs modulator or vacuum pump ?

Also in fact, I noted that when on the freeway I turned on the cruise control, it starts 1 second later I set it and, sometime to resume the desired speed, the engine shift and reduces one gear, accelers and resumes speed. Is it linked to vacuum pump of break system ?
Have I get the right way ? or not.
Corrado

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Corrado said:
Also in fact, I noted that when on the freeway I turned on the cruise control, it starts 1 second later I set it and, sometime to resume the desired speed, the engine shift and reduces one gear, accelers and resumes speed. Is it linked to vacuum pump of break system ?
Have I get the right way ? or not.
Corrado

There is no vacuum pump for the brake system. The ABS pump is for brake fluid, not air. When the ABS is engaged, the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve will cycle and release pressure from the wheels one by one. Then the Pump will follow the BPMV and put pressure back on each line one by one. So, to answer your question, no, the cruise control is not related in any way to the ABS pump

The vacuum source for the entire car is the intake manifold on the engine. Yes a a vacuum leak can effect the performance of you cruise control, but I don't know the ways it will be effected. I'm not sure about the normal operation for the cruise control either because where I live there are too many corners to use it.

·
Registered
1995 sedan Deville Concours
1 Posts
I think the grunt you're experiencing is the ABS pump cycling as a self check. My car does the same. I'm not really worried about it because I think it is normal as well.

This is what your codes mean;

S028-----RR Damper Solenoid Short Across Load

Did you by any chance connect the two wires together that go to each OEM shock and strut? Because that's what will cause those four codes to come up.
Hello I myself am experiencing this RSS code. The Air hoses where dry rotted replaced them cleared the code. But it still keeps coming back, I have replaced the steel brake lines from the gas filter back (what a PITA but it came out nice). Is this the part that the connects from the strut to the upper control arm?. I did not mess with the wires all that is on the other side of the steel lines. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts