Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS-4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 STS was aligned last August at a Cadillac dealership, and they reported no issues performing that job.
This April (8 months later), they told me that toe in / out couldn't be adjusted because the inner and outer tie rod ends were seized together owing to corrosion
and couldn't be turned. Has this happened to anyone else? Does this seem at all reasonable, because according to them, the rack needs replacing?
I have to tell you that other related events cause me not to trust anything this dealership says, so I'd like some input on their diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,061 Posts
If you drive where they put salt on the roads it is highly likely that everything underneath is highly rusted. During the previous alignment they might have not needed to adjust toe-in so never tried to move the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2008 STS-4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you drive where they put salt on the roads it is highly likely that everything underneath is highly rusted. During the previous alignment they might have not needed to adjust toe-in so never tried to move the tie rod ends.
On their first attempt, the steering wheel was not centered, so it had to go back. They did center the wheel, so I'm guessing the only way to do that is to adjust the tie rods on both sides.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
324 Posts
I had a shop (not a dealer) claim seized tie-rod end (ie, they couldn't align) on a different car. They just weren't trying. I have the largest channel lock they sell (very useful tool for many brute-force type jobs), and was able to loosen it myself (without any damage save a little bit of cosmetic teeth marks on the tie-rod). Those parts are thick and strong. I would get a second opinion. IMO unless they actually broke the tie rod or tie-rod end, they shouldn't claim it's seized :)

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,305 Posts
I agree with 'Midnight'; and also, with a discretion of the use of heat, quite a few things 'corroded' tight can be persuaded. (Now if galling of the metals has occurred, then, I would go along with the dealer's diagnosis/prognosis.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
C&C said:
I agree with 'Midnight'; and also, with a discretion of the use of heat, quite a few things 'corroded' tight can be persuaded. (Now if galling of the metals has occurred, then, I would go along with the dealer's diagnosis/prognosis.)
I wouldn't recommend applying heat to steering components. Use penetrating fluid and persistence, otherwise replace.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I once had a Cadillac dealer service writer that I trusted tell me that I needed a brake job on my car that I had done a brake job on just 3 months before. It's very possible that the mechanic reported false info to the writer, I don't know. Just to double check I pulled my wheels off to eye-ball everything and all was good.

Maybe they got me mixed up with someone else? No, it's because of the way dealers pay their employees. They are all on some form of commission. Mechanics are paid by what the book says. If they do it faster than the book, that's more jobs they can do in a day and more money in everyone's pocket (except yours). The system rewards good, experienced mechanics and it can also reward hacks.

Go some place else. There's nothing special about these cars that any shop that does alignments cannot do.

·
Registered
2008 STS-4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank all for your comments and suggestions. The fact is that they did replace the rack, but they left the bolts loose. The car let me know on the freeway, but no accident or incident.
The bolts were properly torqued down, and the alignment redone at another (trusted) dealer. Now, of course, I'm in the middle of a finger pointing exercise. The dealer in question also quoted a $400 job to fix a leaking transmission cooling line,
but the fitting was simply finger tight, and fixed by the trusted dealer with a simple (no charge) turn of the wrench. I wonder how that happened? There's more to the whole story than this, all of which points to complete lack of credibility
on the part of the dealer in question. GM corporate is now investigating. I'm looking to get all $$ back. Needless to say the Caddy is not going anywhere near that dealer again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
...and don't think for one minute that it's just "that" dealership. Now also please don't get me wrong and think I'm saying it's all dealerships. That would be an over generalization. But the peolpe I know on the inside tell me stories.

Good Luck with GM corporate. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,061 Posts
Some years back, Sears Auto Centers in California got fined a gazillion dollars for every car service scam known to man, from cutting brake hoses, to squirting oil on shocks and crying leak, to short sticking on oil level checks, phantom brake jobs, and every other chickensh!t scheme you ever heard of. It was all over the state. This stuff goes on all over the country.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Unfortunately they are preying on those that are not mechanically inclined. I'm sure that some of the smartest people in the world only know that "D" means forward and "R" means backwards, and if it's making funny (unusual) noises they should take it to the shop and have them fix it. It's not only the automotive industry, this carries out to the entire repair industry. It's like, educate yourself or pay-up. Sometimes it seems like everyone is out to stick their hand in your pocket.

If you are an honest repair person out there reading this I wish there was a way you could easily differentiate yourselves from the scum.

Sorry for ranting, but I just get p!ssed when ever I hear about this kind of stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts