Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With key less push button starting on almost every vehicle now a days a thought occurred to me. If your car is inoperable and needing a tow, With a key switch
ignition you could turn the key to the "run" position to unlock the steering wheel and put the trans. in neutral to push it in position for the tow truck and also to
allow the rear wheels to roll onto the truck. With the push button start there is no way to take the car out of park and to unlock the steering wheel (at least I
can't find a way to do it).
So my question is, If you can't start your car and need a tow, Wouldn't the rear wheels be locked up and unable to roll if the trans. is still in park? Also if your front
wheels are turned in any direction other then straight ahead, How will you be able to turn the wheel since it's also locked?
I have sat in the car trying different combinations of things and am unable to take it out of park with out the engine running. ANY ANSWERS?

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
523 Posts
You can put it in "Run" by pressing the start button for a few seconds with your foot off of the brake. Don't know if that let's you put it in neutral or not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can put it in "Run" by pressing the start button for a few seconds with your foot off of the brake. Don't know if that let's you put it in neutral or not.
I tried that already. Still won't move out of park and won't unlock steering wheel.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
523 Posts
Owners manual says flat bed truck only for disabled vehicle, no tow trucks. You leave it up to them on how to get it on the truck. 10-67 in the manual

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
If you pull up the bezel around the shifter there is access to the solenoid plunger that locks the shifter. Poke the plunger and Bob's your uncle. Read your manual.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
523 Posts
I tried that already. Still won't move out of park and won't unlock steering wheel.
Then I don't think you held it long enough, tried it on mine and it unlocks the wheel and I shifted out of Park, engine not running.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then I don't think you held it long enough, tried it on mine and it unlocks the wheel and I shifted out of Park, engine not running.
Thank you very much. I went and tried this and it worked. Hold the starter button for about 10 seconds without foot on brake and the steering wheel unlocks.
To get it out of park press the brake pedal and you can shift out of park all without the engine running. My question has been answered.

----------

Owners manual says flat bed truck only for disabled vehicle, no tow trucks. You leave it up to them on how to get it on the truck. 10-67 in the manual
I'm sorry, I have seen too many bad tow truck drivers to "leave it up to them to get it on the truck". When the driver bends down to look where he plans
to hook up at and he has 6 in. of butt crack showing, That tells me he can't handle a belt much less a car.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read post #6. You can manually release the shift lever and get it out of park even if the car is totally dead. RTFM
Dear Mr. RTFM. I have read it and I saw no mention of the fact you can remove the shift bezel to access the plunger. Please inform us mindless morons
as to what page number this enlightenment is on, And will this also release the steering wheel lock so you are able to steer it? Oh. By the way, I don't have
a uncle named Bob.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
523 Posts
Read post #6. You can manually release the shift lever and get it out of park even if the car is totally dead. RTFM
I don't think this car has that, it isn't in the manual, I know my vette did. The manual says to charge the battery or get a jump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts