Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently an owner of a 06 v1 that is my DD. love the car, best car I've owned by far, though not without its challenges.

Looking to get a newer car, and am caught a bit in analysis paralysis. Looking for something 2012 ish, and definitely want to stay with a manual transmission, and it will see snow, and about 20k KM's per year. As manuals cars are less and less available, I am looking at: Audi s4 (worried about maintenance and reliability), 335 I or xi (same worries as Audi), cts v (only concern is winter, even with snows)

Realizing what forum I am posting in, I would like your advice on what direction you would go in, with as little (or as much) bias as possible....

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Throw on a set of dedicated winter tires on some secondary rims, and you'll be fine. Just make sure to switch back to your summer tires after the cold weather ends. If you do some research on Blizzaks or however you spell it you'll get a lot of info.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
There are a ton of guys on here operating as a DD in the snow without any issues at all on the right rubber. It can be done. If reliability is a concern for you, and I detect it is, stay with the V. Even if it breaks it's a helluva lot cheaper to fix! Trust me.

·
Registered
2011 cts-v wagon
298 Posts
With good winter rubber, you will be as good as any other rear wheel drive.We use our V-wagon as a daily driver up here in Alberta, Canada with no issues . Bare in mind performance vehicles do require premium & a lot of it.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I own a Vagon and my son owns an '07 S4 Avant. His manual Avant is quite reliable, but look out around 100,000 miles for that timing chain issue that is well known. You will have to pull the engine and then spend at least $4000. Meanwhile, while you are without a ride, the V's will keep right on truckin' - but we'll honk for you.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
My 2010 manual V is my DD. I live in the country about 45 min north of Toronto. I've never had any problems in the winter and as others have said, just make sure you have dedicated winter tires. Depending on your location and conditions,you can opt for a hardcore snow & ice tire or a dedicated high performance winter tire that maintains virtually all of the car's handling/performance capabilities, but at the sacrifice of some traction in deeper snow. Many here run 255s at all 4 corners during the winter while some (me included) run the stock, staggered sizes on their winter tires. There are a good many choices of tires to choose from.

As far as reliability is concerned, I'd say the V is the hands down winner in that department. FWIW I wouldn't touch any of the German competition without having a good factory warranty.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all for the input so far.

Have anyone cross shopped the other vehicles? And if you came from a V1 before what are the pros and cons to moving to a V2?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts