Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Catera

I've got the ACDELCO Timing Belt Kit TCK285 and the BOM4145 timing tool is on the way. I also have the service manuals (the procedure in here doesn't seem to great to me) and instructions that came with the belt kit (which are much more detailed, step-by-step). I'm pretty comfortable with the procedure and plan to take my time.

My question is to anyone that has done a timing belt change on this or a similar engine. Is there anything that I should watch out for or that you can tell me to make the job easier - and mainly to make sure I do it right so that I don't screw up my engine. I'm a little worried about this :vomit:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done this job and it sounded way worse than it was.Just do not let those cam wheels move at all cost... That cam locking tool will help you a lot ,put that on and lock everything tight before you remove that belt.Now is a good time to inspect that water pump or just replace it because your in there anyway...Patience is key, good luck...

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for easing my mind a bit. Thats what I was hoping to hear. I'll be glad when this is done.

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago. Not near as hard as I prepared for.

My note is to make sure you turn thru the tensioner / pulley adjustments several times to get that timing dead on. At the point its all together and you start turning the crank to check alignment, and adjusting pulleys for the 3-4 alignment then the 1-2 alignment...just do it several times to make sure its dead on for several revolutions. I did two revolutions to adjust 3-4 and then two more to adjust 1-2, then about 4 more to make sure they stayed that way. Nary a micrometer off. I can tell too she runs fine :highfive:

When it is dead on, and you have turned it several times to make sure, you can feel confident to turn that key and fire that bad cat up when you done.

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is good to hear - thanks for the tip. I'm getting all kinds of good news lately. I ordered the BOM4145 alignment kit from etoolcart.com - they didn't have it in stock, but they ordered it and had Baum ship it direct to me. When the guy was taking my order, he asked if I needed the crankshaft wrench tool. I said I didn't - I was just going to use a ratchet. Well it was delivered yesterday and Baum threw the wrench in also. Score.

The guy at etoolcart.com was super nice (don't remember his name - sounded like an experience/older guy). I would definitely recommend them.

I tried to order from Algrove Tool Supply first - that was a mistake. Their website said it usually ships within 24 hours - it hadn't 4 days later so I called. The kid that answered said he "was about to call me" to tell me it was out of stock and that he was going to cancel my order. Thanks. They did put the credit back on my card, so it wasn't too big of a deal - of course they never should have charged me in the first place if it was out of stock. Lucky for me the 1 week delay didn't matter. Thats what I get for trying to save $10.

Sorry to rant.

etoolcart.com... GOOD :thumbsup:

algrovetoolsupply.com... BAD :rant2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts