Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

I hope you can help me with the following problem.

I do own a Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1989 with the ABS (Anti-lock) option. The car is in an excellent condition with very low mileage. However, the ABS does not work anymore when I bought the car a decade ago. The previous and first owner of the car did not repair it but simply “uncoupled” the ABS-light.

In Switzerland (were I am located) we do have a regular and compulsory car inspection. Even though I passed it in the past without any problems (and without the ABS working), they found out this time that the ABS is not working.

They offered me two option: Repair the ABS or convert the car to the Non-ABS-Version.

I checked Rockauto.com: Some of the ABS-parts which may be defect are still available, but it seems to me that it is much easier and cheaper to convert the car to the non-ABS-version since mainly the break master cylinder differ.

Is it possible to install the master break cylinder from the Non-ABS-system without any major problems?

Thank you for your help in this respect.

All the best, Hans

Master cylinder without ABS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Qualitee-Brake-Master-Cylinder-86-93-Reatta-Deville-Eldorado-Toronado-Trofeo-/221787506874?fits=Year:1989|Make:Cadillac&hash=item33a390c8ba&vxp=mtr

Picture of ABS Version

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/sancobg/media/Brake Controller/BendixABSSys_zpsdd36bdd4.jpg.html

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There's really no conversion necessary. With the system inoperable, your brakes function perfectly as they would in a non ABS equipped vehicle.

Not positive, but I think ABS was standard in '89, so not sure what parts would be a direct swap to convert it.

Also not sure of the laws there, but here, if the car was made before a particular system was required by law, it doesn't have to function. Maybe look into that?

·
Registered
91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
675 Posts
There's really no conversion necessary. With the system inoperable, your brakes function perfectly as they would in a non ABS equipped vehicle.

Not positive, but I think ABS was standard in '89, so not sure what parts would be a direct swap to convert it.

Also not sure of the laws there, but here, if the car was made before a particular system was required by law, it doesn't have to function. Maybe look into that?
'89 Deville has the nightmare teves abs system.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
Like Ranger already mentioned the system won't need to be converted. If the ABS isn't working it's working as a non-ABS system.

Having said that, most malfunctions with these ABS systems were caused by either defective wheel speed sensors or the wiring to them. You might want to look into that as it might be an easy and cheap fix if it's just the wiring. In my case it was the wiring to both front wheel speed sensors. The grounding sleeves were slashed, so I repaired the grounds and my ABS has been working ever since (3 or so years already).

--------

Another thought, have you tried going to a different inspection facility? You might be able to pass like before.

Also, if the light is disconnected and they still found out such a fault was present they most likely found some trouble codes related to the system. If so, did they share what these codes were? That might help you narrow down the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Like Ranger already mentioned the system won't need to be converted. If the ABS isn't working it's working as a non-ABS system.

Having said that, most malfunctions with these ABS systems were caused by either defective wheel speed sensors or the wiring to them. You might want to look into that as it might be an easy and cheap fix if it's just the wiring. In my case it was the wiring to both front wheel speed sensors. The grounding sleeves were slashed, so I repaired the grounds and my ABS has been working ever since (3 or so years already).

--------

Another thought, have you tried going to a different inspection facility? You might be able to pass like before.

Also, if the light is disconnected and they still found out such a fault was present they most likely found some trouble codes related to the system. If so, did they share what these codes were? That might help you narrow down the problem and fix it.
This system does not function normally when it fails.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts

-Yes, it does. The car will have normal braking with the exception of ABS (Antilock Brake System). The ABS system only modulates pressure to the individual brakes, through monitoring wheel speed sensors, to prevent a wheel from locking up under heavy braking.

·
Registered
675 Posts

-Yes, it does. The car will have normal braking with the exception of ABS (Antilock Brake System). The ABS system only modulates pressure to the individual brakes, through monitoring wheel speed sensors, to prevent a wheel from locking up under heavy braking.
No it doesn't, '89 Devilles use the Teves Mark IV system, read about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts