Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little confusion with the Security system in my 1994 Deville

When you start the car, the orange 'Security' light comes on, then goes out with the 'Monitored Systems OK' message. However, despite this light illuminating, there is no security system in the real sense.

When you lock the car with the remotes or the door, the security light does not come on, and if the window is open, manually unlocking the door and opening does nothing as if there is no security system installed.

Is there no system installed and that damn light comes on just for no reason? Or is there more behind this?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If you have keyless entry, you have a "security system"..... They really dont do a whole lot....... But they do help somewhat.

I think the system is working fine...... Exactly the way it was supposed to.......... You may want to check the owners manual to be sure!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
If you have keyless entry, you have a "security system"..... They really dont do a whole lot....... But they do help somewhat.

I think the system is working fine...... Exactly the way it was supposed to.......... You may want to check the owners manual to be sure!
...and according to the owners manual - that security light is related to the functionality of the Theft Deterrent System! I am convinced something is wrong...

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New question - what is the option code for the Theft Deterrent system? I will check the door and see if its installed.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Something strange and new happened to us the other day. We were out and my Fiance was waiting for me in the car with the doors locked and the windows slightly down, and when she unlocked the door for me, the alarm went off??!! The only explanation I have is that it went off because the windows were slightly down, and the car thought I reached in from outside!? The only way to stop the insanity was to press the little "unlock" button on the keyless remote! And this was THE ONLY WAY TO STOP IT! :shocked:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...anybody???

·
Registered
07 STS, 03 Deville, Past '01' Seville, '96' Deville, '87' Deville, '95' ElDo
30 Posts
If its any comfort, my 96 DeVille does the same thing ... when I open the door the security light blinks in the cluster and it goes away when I start the car or close the door .... I don't know of an alarm that mine has like a horn going off or an audible alarm.... If it does I haven't explored it yet.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Like I said earlier, if the alarm system is working, dont worry about it

To test the alarm (i got this from a cadillac manual), roll down the drivers side window, lock the doors, and then manually unlock the drivers door with your hand........ If it goes off, all is good...... then you press the unlock button to turn it off!

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
I have to agree with you that there is a problem, because on my cars the security light comes on and stays on for a few minutes after the doors are locked with either the remote or the power lock button.

There is a way you can check, though, by leaving your drivers side window down, and locking the doors with either the remote, or the power lock switch, then unlock just the drivers door manually by reaching in from outside and open the door. If your horn starts beeping its working, and if nothing happens theres a problem.

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
Sorry Wes, I didn't read your whole reply :hammer:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
:rolleyes:

:histeric:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timber6860 said:
I have to agree with you that there is a problem, because on my cars the security light comes on and stays on for a few minutes after the doors are locked with either the remote or the power lock button.

There is a way you can check, though, by leaving your drivers side window down, and locking the doors with either the remote, or the power lock switch, then unlock just the drivers door manually by reaching in from outside and open the door. If your horn starts beeping its working, and if nothing happens theres a problem.
I've done that...several times and nothing happens! Theres no alarm and the car starts with no problem! That's why I wanted the option code for the alarm system so I know it actually exists inside the car!

To the rest of you in the thread (including timber) thanks for all your helpful advise!! Thanks to you guys, I maybe finally able to put a lid on this mystery.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,115 Posts
2dfx-There are 2 seperate theft deterrent systems that your car may have that share the "SECURITY" lamp. One is standard and the other one is optional. The standard one is the PASS Key system that utilizes that little black chip at the base of your ignition key. It operates like you describe--when you turn the ignition on, the "SECURITY" lamp will illuminate for a few seconds and then go off indicating that the system is operating properly. If the lamp were to illuminate during normal driving, it would indicate a malfunction in the system and the car may not restart. The system operates by measuring the resistance in that black chip utilizing wiring in the lock cylinder and an electronic module. If the correct resistance is measured, the vehicle will start. If an incorrect resistance is measured, the starter and fuel circuits will not operate and the vehicle will not start. The PASS Key system only uses the "SECURITY" lamp when the ignition is in the "ON" position. The optional system is the Content Theft Deterrent System. If your car was so equipped, it would use the "SECURITY" lamp when the ignition is in the "OFF" position. You can easily tell if your car is so equipped. With the car turned off, open any of the four doors and the "SECURITY" lamp should flash. If it does, you have this optional system. If it does not, your vehicle was not equipped with this option.

Hope this clears things up.

Max

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maximln said:
2dfx-There are 2 seperate theft deterrent systems that your car may have that share the "SECURITY" lamp. One is standard and the other one is optional. The standard one is the PASS Key system that utilizes that little black chip at the base of your ignition key. It operates like you describe--when you turn the ignition on, the "SECURITY" lamp will illuminate for a few seconds and then go off indicating that the system is operating properly. If the lamp were to illuminate during normal driving, it would indicate a malfunction in the system and the car may not restart. The system operates by measuring the resistance in that black chip utilizing wiring in the lock cylinder and an electronic module. If the correct resistance is measured, the vehicle will start. If an incorrect resistance is measured, the starter and fuel circuits will not operate and the vehicle will not start. The PASS Key system only uses the "SECURITY" lamp when the ignition is in the "ON" position. The optional system is the Content Theft Deterrent System. If your car was so equipped, it would use the "SECURITY" lamp when the ignition is in the "OFF" position. You can easily tell if your car is so equipped. With the car turned off, open any of the four doors and the "SECURITY" lamp should flash. If it does, you have this optional system. If it does not, your vehicle was not equipped with this option.

Max
Max thanks for your insight. :worship:

One last thing - theres a fuse in the Trunk labelled 'Theft' for theft deterrent, yet there are separate fuses for the power locks, Ignition system, and so on.

You can't say to me that a resistor needs a 10 amp fuse? I mean even so, why would there be a 10 amp fuse for a computerized method of reading a resistor pellet in the key?

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,115 Posts
I'm sure it does. A 10amp fuse is not very much. Again, the system is comprised of the PASS Key Electronic Module, the electric sensors in the lock cylinder, related wiring to the PASS Key module and also to the PCM to allow for enabling or disabling of the starter and fuel circuits.

Max

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 94 SLS w/factory system and the horn blows & lights flash,still trying to figure out how it works though lol:hmm:

jert said:
If its any comfort, my 96 DeVille does the same thing ... when I open the door the security light blinks in the cluster and it goes away when I start the car or close the door .... I don't know of an alarm that mine has like a horn going off or an audible alarm.... If it does I haven't explored it yet.....

·
Registered
800 Posts
Maximln said:

Max
:worship: Thank you so very much!!! I was racking my brain because I just got a 91' and that security light came on and I was like WooHoo!!! I have an alarm. I could get it to work. now I know why.:suspect:

I know this thread is old but it helped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I need Help also. I have a 93 DeVille, and my Security System is all srewed up. I can not afford the money to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. Can someone tell me how to install a resistor to bypass the Passkey II system?

Thanks in Advance,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts