Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a problem with my Deville the security light has been coming on for the past few months but i just cut the car off and crank it back up and the security light goes off. The car was doing it about once every 4th start but here lately its been doing it about once every 2nd start, but it has popped up on the dic once service security system soon but it went off and hasn't came back on there are no codes when i use mine or my mechanics scanner when the car works just fine or when the security light comes on and when the light is on everything works like it should. IT did have one new key made at the locksmith after it was bought because it only came with one key so i dint know if that may be triggering it or not because that key cranks it right up just like the factory key any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Re: security light issue 2000 Deville DHS

Do you get the security light with the factory key?
Do you have any security related DTC's?

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's the factory key will trigger the light it is the one we use the most cause the copied key is my wife's and she uses her car most of the time but her she starts the car to but there are no codes coming from the car any time we scan it. And I did have the dealership cut and program the key so I did have I pro do it so I don't think it was a programing issue.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,516 Posts
The 2000 and later key itself is not "programmed" - the fobs are programmed by the dealership - you can have up to 4 fobs. The key has a transponder in the plastic head that is recognized by the ignition lock/switch/security system. You can have up to 10 keys, each recognized by the system by using the "key programming" Passkey-III system in the owner's manual. If you get repeated security warnings, perhaps the key transponder is damaged or faulty. There's quite a discussion on fobs and keys in the manual.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks I dindon't mean to imply the key fobs but the key it's self when the car was bought the dealership had a locksmith from the gm dealership that came out and would cut and make the car recognize the new keys, it was part of the deal in the price negotiation that they would have a new key done since they destroyed the extra key and key fob when it was dropped and ran over, so my question is should I make the car recognize the original key incase somethings wrong with it or should I get a new transponder key cut and recognized to the car incase the original transponder key is damaged because this security light is kinda freaking me out I keep thinking that I will get stranded somewhere thanks for the help with this issue

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,288 Posts
The 2000 and later key itself is not "programmed" - the fobs are programmed by the dealership - you can have up to 4 fobs. The key has a transponder in the plastic head that is recognized by the ignition lock/switch/security system. You can have up to 10 keys, each recognized by the system by using the "key programming" Passkey-III system in the owner's manual. If you get repeated security warnings, perhaps the key transponder is damaged or faulty. There's quite a discussion on fobs and keys in the manual.
==========================
The 2000 and later key itself is not "programmed" -
the fobs are programmed by the dealership
actually the PK3 key IS programmed by the car -

and the car is programmed to recognize the fob -

----------

Ok thanks I dindon't mean to imply the key fobs but the key it's self when the car was bought the dealership had a locksmith from the gm dealership that came out and would cut and make the car recognize the new keys, it was part of the deal in the price negotiation that they would have a new key done since they destroyed the extra key and key fob when it was dropped and ran over, so my question is should I make the car recognize the original key incase somethings wrong with it or should I get a new transponder key cut and recognized to the car incase the original transponder key is damaged because this security light is kinda freaking me out I keep thinking that I will get stranded somewhere thanks for the help with this issue
==================================
you do not need the services of the dealer when making new keys -
assuming you have one key that works -

here is what I did -

bought two uncut PK3 keys for $12 - including shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221188754821?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

had the keys cut at my local True-Value for $1.50 each -

programmed the keys myself - in the parking lot -
took less than a minute -

DONE - two new keys for $15 -

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's another issue that I'm having that I completely forgot about when I went down to south Georgia I hit a bump and the whole dash died for a few seconds until I hit another pothole and they came back on I was thinking it may just be a grounding issue and the bump just knocked the ground loose until I hit the pothole could this maybe be causing the security light

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I think I will try getting the uncut transponder keys and have them cut at Home Depot and make the car recognize them I got out my owners manual and found the instructions to do the Pass 3and see if that shops the security light when using the new keys I hope its just a problem with the original key since I am pretty ruff with them, can anyone tell me if there is a 2ay to program new key fobs I would like to have a couple more for my wife and son and I can't figure out why the owners manual gives you how to do new keys that START the car but not the remotes that just lock and unlock it.

·
19,288 Posts
Thanks I think I will try getting the uncut transponder keys and have them cut at Home Depot and make the car recognize them I got out my owners manual and found the instructions to do the Pass 3and see if that shops the security light when using the new keys I hope its just a problem with the original key since I am pretty ruff with them, can anyone tell me if there is a 2ay to program new key fobs I would like to have a couple more for my wife and son and I can't figure out why the owners manual gives you how to do new keys that START the car but not the remotes that just lock and unlock it.
===================
can anyone tell me if there is a 2ay to program new key fobs
the key fobs are not programmed to the car -
the car is programmed to recognize the fobs -

it requires a TECH2 tool -
all GM dealers have/use them -
but because of the cost -
very few independent shops have them -

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks i need to take it to the dealership soon for the oil change so i will get a couple fobs on ebay with the same fcc id and get them to use the TECH2 for them i just dindnt know if there was a way to do the fobs myself since i can do the key and most of the cars i had you could do the fobs yourself and the key was a trip to the dealership thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
You take the car to the DEALER for oil changes???
I do too. Synthetic blend, interior and exterior cleaning, multi-point inspection and fantastic customer service for $24.99. At least here in the northwest I've always found dealers to provide better services for oil changes at a much lower cost. All of the "quick lube" places charge me at least $39.00, unless they charge per extra quart for the 7.5qt Northstar, then I'm screwed.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Well at that price I get it. The dealers here won't even look in the cars direction for $25. I usually make it through winter without needing a change, so doing it myself is always a fair weather thing.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,516 Posts
According to the owner's manual for 2002 the Passkey 3 system allows up to 4 fobs and 10 keys.

Fobs are programmed by the dealership; keys are "learned" by the owner (if he/she so chooses) in order to avoid possible additional labor charges.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i do take my Cadillac to the dealer its the only car that i have that i do and i do all the other cars myself because i know the owner and he gets all the service done for me at the price that it cost him for the stuff he don't even charge for the labor. Just one of the pluses of living in Georgia where you know everyone.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here a quick update on the situation the car was showing the security light and service security security system soon message everyone it was started with the factory key I switched keys out with my wife and the car had the same issue so I figured if the security light is on now I'd scan the computer for any codes and came back with none took it to the shop and scanned it and didn't find any there but the car has the security light on when it's scanned so I thought it should've had I code I erased all the codes and started it with my wife's key and no security light I'd figure I will dive it around and see if the light comes back on thanks for the help so far yall

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Use the on board diagnostics. It's more likely to show body (B) codes.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lithe bit of an update on this issue I ran the codes from the dash display and there were a ton of ones than said history I know that these will stay here for 50 ignition cycles and there were only 2 that said current a navigation cd decoding error even though my navigation is working just like it should and a blend door 3 code for the back hvac that I'm not to awful worried about since Noone rides back there. I tried using my wife's ignition pk3 key (the one that was made after purchase of car) after I cleared all the codes (which I do have on video I'll try to post them if I get time) the security light stayed off until yesterday I ran the diagnostics again and got the same two codes as mentioned and one in the history for I think it was a key code error the car still runs and drives cause my grandfather's using it this week but it still worries me I searched for on code on line and came back with a class 2 communications issue than could make the security,abs,and traction light come on the dash, heated seats not work (passengers front) windows not operate (back drivers) and memory seats not work (hasn't happened yet) and my dash will go completely dark sometimes except usally for the three lights as mentioned sometime the dash goes dark for a few seconds sometimes for an hour or more, it tends to do it the most if a drive on a rough road like my driveway or I hit a pothole or speedup, there is also an electrical fire smell sometimes in the cabin that I can smell if the ac is not turned on but usally only for a minute especially if the dash goes back I was wondering if it could be a ground issue if anyone can help I'd apeciate it I know this generation had quite a few little electronic gremlins especially on the dhs like mine

·
19,288 Posts
A lithe bit of an update on this issue I ran the codes from the dash display and there were a ton of ones than said history I know that these will stay here for 50 ignition cycles and there were only 2 that said current a navigation cd decoding error even though my navigation is working just like it should and a blend door 3 code for the back hvac that I'm not to awful worried about since Noone rides back there. I tried using my wife's ignition pk3 key (the one that was made after purchase of car) after I cleared all the codes (which I do have on video I'll try to post them if I get time) the security light stayed off until yesterday I ran the diagnostics again and got the same two codes as mentioned and one in the history for I think it was a key code error the car still runs and drives cause my grandfather's using it this week but it still worries me I searched for on code on line and came back with a class 2 communications issue than could make the security,abs,and traction light come on the dash, heated seats not work (passengers front) windows not operate (back drivers) and memory seats not work (hasn't happened yet) and my dash will go completely dark sometimes except usally for the three lights as mentioned sometime the dash goes dark for a few seconds sometimes for an hour or more, it tends to do it the most if a drive on a rough road like my driveway or I hit a pothole or speedup, there is also an electrical fire smell sometimes in the cabin that I can smell if the ac is not turned on but usally only for a minute especially if the dash goes back I was wondering if it could be a ground issue if anyone can help I'd apeciate it I know this generation had quite a few little electronic gremlins especially on the dhs like mine
==============
i know the owner
and he gets all the service done for me
at the price that it cost him for the stuff
he don't even charge for the labor

I thought you got free service at the Cadillac dealer owned by your friend -

why not let the dealer fix it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts