Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 RedLine Cadillac CTS-V
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had a new diff put in the car about a month ago and I heard that glorious whining at 65 miles/hour yesterday. There's going to be alot of pissed off used cts-v owners when their diffs keep dying out of warranty after all of us upgrade to the new one .

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
It's not dying- it's noisy.

Most cars with an LSD make some kind of whine once they're broken in, and we all listen intently to our diffs for any peep due to the mass hysteria on the Internet forums.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I put a 4.56 limited slip differential in my 1997 Suburban and it "sings" but is hardly defective. My remedy was a bigger amp and larger subwoofer.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I'm experiencing more noise from my GSD3s than from the 'usual' whine from the diff. Matter of fact I can't hear the whine anymore over the tire 'howl'. :rant2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not dying- it's noisy.

Most cars with an LSD make some kind of whine once they're broken in, and we all listen intently to our diffs for any peep due to the mass hysteria on the Internet forums.
Why do dealers replace whining differentials if the whine merely means that it is broken in? Mine didn't start whining until a little over 30,000 miles, I doubt very much that it takes that long to break a diff in.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Why do dealers replace whining differentials if the whine merely means that it is broken in? Mine didn't start whining until a little over 30,000 miles, I doubt very much that it takes that long to break a diff in.
Dealers replace whining differentials to get rid of whining customers. I'm sure your first unit was making some noise for a while, but once you discovered the Cadillac Forums you developed Automotive Hypochondria.

When it binds and clunks during turning it's toast.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I am not sure, since we never seem to get a diagnosis on the retired units. One theory is that after twenty years of front wheel drive sedans many folks, including drivers, service writers and technicians have simply forgotten what a small rear wheel drive sedan is supposed to sound like once the new wears off.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I know that nobody wants to hear (or do) this - but trust me, it works - urbanski and others can vouch for it.

The diff is going to make noise - period. Add Specter bushings and some sort of wheel hop bar/diff brace/etc. it is going to be transmitted into the cabin (NVH).

Change the fluid a couple of times early on - now would be good darkman. Make sure it has the required additive or if synthetic doesn't need one. Then dynamat the trunk and the area under the rear seat. While you're at it - do the rear deck. It makes even the stock stereo better - I promise. This is a 3 hour proposition on a Saturday if you hurry, 8 hours if you go nuts and :alchi:

Now, the diff will continue to make some noise, but you won't HEAR IT! The noise it makes simply won't matter. It isn't going to self destruct, IMHO. The diff will likely make a little growl now and then when pulling a tight u-turn - but my experience indicates that it is only noise. Add a sub, 3" exhaust, headers or delete cats and you'll never know the difference.

Just my $.0175

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I know that nobody wants to hear (or do) this - but trust me, it works - urbanski and others can vouch for it.

The diff is going to make noise - period. Add Specter bushings and some sort of wheel hop bar/diff brace/etc. it is going to be transmitted into the cabin (NVH).

Change the fluid a couple of times early on - now would be good darkman. Make sure it has the required additive or if synthetic doesn't need one. Then dynamat the trunk and the area under the rear seat. While you're at it - do the rear deck. It makes even the stock stereo better - I promise. This is a 3 hour proposition on a Saturday if you hurry, 8 hours if you go nuts and :alchi:

Now, the diff will continue to make some noise, but you won't HEAR IT! The noise it makes simply won't matter. It isn't going to self destruct, IMHO. The diff will likely make a little growl now and then when pulling a tight u-turn - but my experience indicates that it is only noise. Add a sub, 3" exhaust, headers or delete cats and you'll never know the difference.

Just my $.0175
I am on it. Did the fluid change today. Now, where should I get the dynamat?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Looking a the Dynamat website I see several types and thickness levels available. What are people using in the V trunk and rear deck?

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
When it binds and clunks during turning it's toast.

My diff has no whine. Diff fluid was changed at my request when the car had 2K miles on it. At 16K miles it starts with the growl / clunks during low speed turns in the parking lot. Dealership changes fluid and relube at 17K via the TSB. All is quiet until 30K miles and the growl at turns is back. Dealership has already offered to change the diff for me. But I may have them just do the TSB again. Other than the low speed turns it's quiet. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many times has this new one been exposed to wheel hop?
The new one has never experienced wheel hop because I dont launch hard, ever. I've never floored the car until it's past 20mph.

And about me trading it in, I'm still debating on that, I doubt it right now as I am loving the car currently. My shifter is acting fine now - the only problem I'm having is a really noisy sun roof on hot days.
Anytime I'm feeling down about my car due to rattles creaks, I just drive it the way it should be driven, rather than driving it like it's a DTS. It's a bloody great car, but I can't wait till the next one.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
If you were closer to me - it would cost you about 4 dark beers (maybe 6) installed. I have a few rolls left over from an ebay deal, not dynamat, but competitive product.

WW
What do want for it including shipping? I don't think UPS ground would cost much. Do you have enough to do the job?

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
It is probably Rammat,thats what I have too.I have some links pm me later

1 - 20 of 29 Posts