Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a good look under the hood today while doing the first oil change. When I looked at a premium on the showroom floor, it had dual batteries. My premium has a single on the right. On the left it has the battery tray for a second...but no battery there.

So, anyone know what the story is with dual batteries? I didn't see it in the options list when we ordered, so did they drop the second battery during the production run?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
CJd said:
Finally got a good look under the hood today while doing the first oil change. When I looked at a premium on the showroom floor, it had dual batteries. My premium has a single on the right. On the left it has the battery tray for a second...but no battery there. So, anyone know what the story is with dual batteries? I didn't see it in the options list when we ordered, so did they drop the second battery during the production run?
Can you take pics? Is that a dealer option? I'll have one installed if it's part of oem accessories.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The showroom car Is long since sold...back in January.

I've followed a few threads on older model Escalades, and they talk about adding a second battery with just 2 cables and a clamp for the tray that's already there. The positive ties into the starter lug. But, reviewing the parts diagrams for 2015, there is no kit or separate cables listed.

Given all the electric accessories, I'd add the second battery too, but just need to know how...

·
Registered
90 Posts
For service vehicles such as police and fire that have accessories that require the extra juice. Most likely would need a larger alternator too.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found nothing available from Cadillac. The Tahoe lists parts for a second battery, so tomorrow I will go to the local Chevy dealer and look over their parts diagrams. I'll let you guys know if it looks like it will fit our Escalades...

·
Registered
None
3 Posts
We asked our dealer to add a second battery. He said no information was available from Cadillac for this MY (2015) but it looked similar to previous models and he'd try the harness from 2014. Apparently it worked.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
rayan said:
We asked our dealer to add a second battery. He said no information was available from Cadillac for this MY (2015) but it looked similar to previous models and he'd try the harness from 2014. Apparently it worked.
So, you had this done?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
rayan said:
Yes, two batteries under the hood at the moment.
How much did it cost you? Do you have part numbers? My local dealer said they will replace the whole wiring harness=$2000?

·
Registered
None
3 Posts
I called the dealer parts dept. to get the info for you: You need a battery - same as existing 1st battery, 78inch and 48 inch battery power cables, a tray p/n 22989633 and a retainer p/n 14005061. Total for parts was CAD$420 so about $340 USD. When I researched this there were various battery controllers one could get/use if you wanted the batteries to be used for different things and charged differently (e.g. one for cranking and one for outlets), but I was just looking for the straightforward capacity addition.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have ordered the parts off the Tahoe dual battery diagram. I will let everyone know how it looks when it arrives, and whether it is a drop-in system or not. In general...

1) The negative lead drops straight down to the frame.
2) The positive lead appears to replace the current positive lead that originates at the RH battery block, runs along the upper firewall, and to the large fuse box on the LH fender.
3) There is a built in small relay, and a large power relay. I assume this is a fancy separation system for the 2 batteries.

Since there is a separation relay, I assume the aux battery runs the power to the main fuse box after shutdown. So, the main battery is isolated. After start, or maybe during??, the batteries couple for charging.

This is much more complex than I was anticipating. Although I understand the theory, I do not understand where the control for the isolator relay comes from. The police special appears different. It isolates to the rear quarter panel fuse box. In other words, the aux battery runs all the police add ons, but not the standard features of the car.

Well...I am apprehensive. Half the parts, like the special battery cables, are actually listed for the Escalade. Many more parts, like the isolator power relay list as "Not Escalade" parts. So....more to follow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm excited to hear how this turns out for you. I've had my Escalade for 5 months now...we tailgate alot and would love to be able to have a 2nd battery for this purpose. I understand why GM switches the auxiliary power after 5 or so mins but for those of us who want a work around or 2nd battery would be nice.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, it took some time, but I have all of the available GM parts for a dual battery. That is the good news. The bad news is that it will not be a straight drop-in job. Here is what we've got.

1) The battery box is already in the Escalade and ready to accept the aux battery. You must buy the ground cable, self tapping screw for the cable to frame connection, the hold down block, and the hold down block bolt. All of these parts are available and relatively cheap...Like $50 for the lot. That puts the battery in the car. We now need to connect it.

2) There are 2 positive battery cables available from GM. The one that comes in the car extends from the RH battery, over the top of the firewall, and into the LH underhood fuse box, about $30 if you have to replace it. The other cable available is for a dual battery, but it is for the police version. Here is how the police version works....

The cable from the RH battery to the LH fuse box is still exactly the same. Another cable goes from the LH Aux battery to a charging solenoid in the center of the firewall. When the solenoid closes, it connects the aux battery to the RH battery, so it will charge.

Now...so far this sounds great, but here is where it gets funky. In the factory set-up for dual batteries, the aux battery is connected directly to a 100 amp fuse box in the rear of the car, and only to that fuse box. This box is where the upfitters connect all the cop stuff. It does not ever supply power to the normal car functions. The charging solenoid only closes when the engine is running and the alternator can charge the aux battery.

In addition, our escalades do not have the wire/connector to trigger the charging solenoid. Apparently that is only in the police version. The dual battery cable has the relay, and the large solenoid is available...but there is nothing to trigger closing the solenoid.

My Next Step

My desire would be to separate the batteries, so the RH is mainly for starting, and the LH is for engine off accessories. That may be possible, but I need to see what the LH underhood fuse box powers. If it only powers accessories...then I can trigger the solenoid to the engine, so it is closed from start through stop.

If the LH box is other than accessories...then I will simply remove the solenoid and use the dual battery cable to connect the 2 batteries full time in parallel.

So, that's the skinny. I've got the parts, but no trigger for paralleling the batteries. I'll keep studying, but any ideas are welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts