Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 seville sts and 1988 brougham
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver seatbelt won't extract from the lap belt. It's like when you slam on the brakes real hard and they lock up only it's all the time. Just happened on my way home from school today so I only had to drive a mile and a half but I really don't have money for a seatbelt ticket. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The retractor assembly isn't serviceable. The seatbelt is attached to both the upper and lower retractors, so you'll have to replace both and the belt as an assemble. Massive PITA and you'll almost definitely break the seat trim doing it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works if I click the toothed gear with my finger but it takes forever to get it all the way out that way.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Probably have debris or is corroded. I have taken few assemblies put and cleaned and worked again. Sometimes they just get worn out and never work right though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well moist you were right, broke the bottom trim piece within 5 minutes of looking into it... Well makes it easier to get out when the time comes. And the belt now comes out in about 3 inch increments if you pull on the belt repeatedly. Takes about 20-30 seconds to get the belt out. And the mechanism looked extremely dirty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only the bottom retractor that isn't working. Is that just held on with the big bolt that's on the seat? Thanks for all the help guys:)

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yeah it's just held on with one bolt.

Either that bolt, or the one for the pretensioner, is obscenely long for its application.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought when I saw it. I was thinking about cutting it down when I take it off just on case future issues were to arise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had an ingenious solution to my problem. My mom does daycare so she has some old car seats that are outdated. There is a metal piece on them that is in the shape (sort of) of an uppercase I. The seat belt is slid into the sides of the I shaped piece and prevents the seat belt from moving. I will have to make sure I don't slam my door with the seat belt in it but at least I won't have to fiddle with the seat belt for a few minutes every time I drive the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts